$200 headphone suggestions

Luke_H808

I do not know much about audio and would like some advice about a headphones. I have a budget of around 100 to 200$ and do not want to have to also buy a dac or amp. Any suggestions? 

2 minutes ago, Bigheart said:

Thx I will checkem out 

Why does the garbage m50x always come up in these conversations? Really? $200 budget and the m50x is on the list?????????

Just now, JohnT said:

Why does the garbage m50x always come up in these conversations? Really? $200 budget and the m50x is on the list?????????

Ohh, this is a worthy discussion, why is the m50x garbage?

2 minutes ago, BananaKnight said:

Ohh, this is a worthy discussion, why is the m50x garbage?

Have you heard how boosted the bass is? Some people call them good monitoring headphones. I don't agree. The bass is ridiculous.

The cardboard headband is exhausting to wear compared to other options from Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser... it actually hurts my head after a half hour.

Shoot even the HD518 is way better than the m50x and it's generally on sale for half the price of the m50x. Yes I know one is open and the other is closed.

But really? $200 budget and the first thing that comes up is the m50x? It's like having a $5,000 budget for surround sound and buying high end Sony or Klipsch speakers. WHY!

If you're into games I'd recommend Sennheiser Game Zero, provided your soundcard / mobo can support 50ohm impedence (recently corrected on the Sennheiser site from 150ohm to 50).

43 minutes ago, Luke_H808 said:

I do not know much about audio and would like some advice about a headphones. I have a budget of around 100 to 200$ and do not want to have to also buy a dac or amp. Any suggestions? 

Can I ask why you aren't interested in an amp or dac? Generally higher priced headphones pair better with a DAC and an amp. Or even a combo.

Headphones are pretty subjective. Which part of the frequency spectrum are you targeting? Highs, mids, lows? All three?

The m50x is "good" if you like boosted, fake bass, and uncomfortable headphones. Otherwise these headphones are reasonable as long as you aren't looking for crisp highs. I seriously don't recommend these.

The Beyerdynamic DT770, DT880, or DT990 are all decent options. They are by far the most comfortable headphones under $200 if you purchase a version with the silver pads. The DT770 has amazing highs, sometimes too high, but the bass is really impressive. It's tame and then it attacks like a large subwoofer in the room. The DT990 loses the bass and the highs are over emphasized. And the DT880 in a good combination between the two.

The Sennheiser HD 518 is way below your budget, but it's a very understated pair of headphones. The bass can be a little boosted depending on the source, but it isn't out of control. The HD 558 loses a little bass and gains crisper highs. It's probably the best combination of all aspects (or the most well rounded). The HD 598, 600, etc etc basically gets nicer and nicer feeling, but generally the improvement in sound quality is similar.

If you want to stretch your budget, look into Mr Speakers, Fostex, or HifiMan. But good luck running some of these bad boys without an amp :)

5 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Can I ask why you aren't interested in an amp or dac? Generally higher priced headphones pair better with a DAC and an amp. Or even a combo.

Nope my HE 560 sound the same on my onboard as they do with my objective combo. If your onboard audio is good you wont need a dac and amp for 98% for the last 2% is insanely hard headphones to drive or they need a different kind of connector that your onboard does not have.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

10 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Headphones are pretty subjective. Which part of the frequency spectrum are you targeting? Highs, mids, lows? All three?

The m50x is "good" if you like boosted, fake bass, and uncomfortable headphones. Otherwise these headphones are reasonable as long as you aren't looking for crisp highs. I seriously don't recommend these.

The Beyerdynamic DT770, DT880, or DT990 are all decent options. They are by far the most comfortable headphones under $200 if you purchase a version with the silver pads. The DT770 has amazing highs, sometimes too high, but the bass is really impressive. It's tame and then it attacks like a large subwoofer in the room. The DT990 loses the bass and the highs are over emphasized. And the DT880 in a good combination between the two.

The Sennheiser HD 518 is way below your budget, but it's a very understated pair of headphones. The bass can be a little boosted depending on the source, but it isn't out of control. The HD 558 loses a little bass and gains crisper highs. It's probably the best combination of all aspects (or the most well rounded). The HD 598, 600, etc etc basically gets nicer and nicer feeling, but generally the improvement in sound quality is similar.

If you want to stretch your budget, look into Mr Speakers, Fostex, or HifiMan. But good luck running some of these bad boys without an amp :)

You may be surprised what Motherboards are capable of, my ASUS board can power my HD700 just fine and sound great :D Better in my Xonar tho!

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

Nope my HE 560 sound the same on my onboard as they do with my objective combo. If your onboard audio is good you wont need a dac and amp for 98% for the last 2% is insanely hard headphones to drive or they need a different kind of connector that your onboard does not have.

If you have a decent mobo then yeah... I guess. But if you have anything badged by HP, like I unfortunately have to deal with at work, I recommend a dac/amp.

Just now, JohnT said:

If you have a decent mobo then yeah... I guess. But if you have anything badged by HP, like I unfortunately have to deal with at work, I recommend a dac/amp.

Yeah okay, but most people use this kind of headphones at home where they most likely have a desktop.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, icey said:

You may be surprised what Motherboards are capable of, my ASUS board can power my HD700 just fine and sound great :D Better in my Xonar tho!

The HD700 is 150ohm bro. An iPhone can power that

But I agree with your underlying statement. My AsRock board can blow up my DT770's at 250ohm.

Yeah okay, but most people use this kind of headphones at home where they most likely have a desktop.

Hmmmm?? Not sure if I agree with this. Maybe the kids in these forums use their headphones at home. Ask them in 10-15 years when they have jobs.

1 minute ago, JohnT said:

Hmmmm?? Not sure if I agree with this. Maybe the kids in these forums use their headphones at home. Ask them in 10-15 years when they have jobs.

Open headphones on a job?

Just now, Dackzy said:

Open headphones on a job?

Depending on the leakage. I've used 518's at work without anybody complaining at regular listening levels.

You realize there is quite a bit of background noise in an office right? Open headphones aren't that big of a deal over the HVAC, general conversations, and phones ringing.

How loud are you listening to your music??

3 minutes ago, JohnT said:

The HD700 is 150ohm bro. An iPhone can power that

But I agree with your underlying statement. My AsRock board can blow up my DT770's at 250ohm.

I assure you, my iPhone doesn't power that.. It sounds like someone's taking a piss in a tunnel and I'm hearing the echo's.

1 minute ago, icey said:

I assure you, my iPhone doesn't power that.. It sounds like someone's taking a piss in a tunnel and I'm hearing the echo's.

Which version? My 5c can power my DT770's to an uncomfortable level for sustained listening.

Weird maybe it has more efficient drivers.

1 minute ago, JohnT said:

Depending on the leakage. I've used 518's at work without anybody complaining at regular listening levels.

You realize there is quite a bit of background noise in an office right? Open headphones aren't that big of a deal over the HVAC, general conversations, and phones ringing.

How loud are you listening to your music??

Not very loud since I am sound sensitive + way better hearing then a normal human should have (tested on a hospital) in some weird way they found out that what a normal person hear as 85dB I hear as 110-115dB.

Not very loud since I am sound sensitive + way better hearing then a normal human should have (tested on a hospital) in some weird way they found out that what a normal person hear as 85dB I hear as 110-115dB.

So open headphones would be perfect for you at work someday :)

Just now, JohnT said:

So open headphones would be perfect for you at work someday :)

Well "only" about 7 years more of school and I am a engineer.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Well "only" about 7 years more of school and I am a engineer.

Good. What kind?

Just now, JohnT said:

Good. What kind?

Machine, you know lots and lots of meth, I mean math... xD 

Machine, you know lots and lots of meth, I mean math... xD 

Haha you mean mechanical? Those guys are pretty rigid. I chose civil. The projects are bigger!