mini ITX build?

Go to solution Solved by BurblingBarbacoa,
13 minutes ago, alexdavidjohnny said:

so the minus is just no SLI/crossfire and no overclocking right? 

can you recommend me a cheap 1151 itx board?

thanks for the warm welcome

You can overclock. As long as you get a z170 board with a 8 pin CPU power connector. I would reccomend any H110 or H170 board with built in wifi (which is a common feature on mini itx. Maybe look at this Gigabyte  (http://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128871&cm_re=Gigabyte_h170_wifi-_-13-128-871-_-Product). 

You will also lose ram upgradability in most cases. Most itx boards one with room for two ram sticks, the only exceptions are super high end ones. I would go for a single stick of 8gb so you can upgrade to 16gb in the future. Also cooler compatability. You will want a small cooler in most cases (ayyyy). I reccomend the Noctua Nhl9i or the stock cooler. 

Do do you need recommendations for monitor, peripherals, sound or case? 

Welcome me to the forums btw :) 

i want to make a small PC for gaming and browsing

so can you guys explain to me what am i losing if i am using a Mini ITX motherboard instead of micro ATX motherboard

and which one is better

this is the part i am planning on using

i3 6100

8gb Gskill ddr4

gigabyte GTX 950

HDD western digital blue 1TB

SSD bx100 120gb

Seasonic SS-350ET

recommend me a cheap motherboard from both ITX and mATX please

thank you....

With a mini itx board you are losing all but one of your PCI-E slots. So no SLI or crossfire in the future. Most of them also don't have fantastic power delivery to the CPU, so slightly more limited overclocking as well.

Welcome to the LTT forums by the way!

22 minutes ago, Rune said:

With a mini itx board you are losing all but one of your PCI-E slots. So no SLI or crossfire in the future. Most of them also don't have fantastic power delivery to the CPU, so slightly more limited overclocking as well.

Welcome to the LTT forums by the way!

13 minutes ago, alexdavidjohnny said:

You can overclock. As long as you get a z170 board with a 8 pin CPU power connector. I would reccomend any H110 or H170 board with built in wifi (which is a common feature on mini itx. Maybe look at this Gigabyte  (http://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128871&cm_re=Gigabyte_h170_wifi-_-13-128-871-_-Product). 

You will also lose ram upgradability in most cases. Most itx boards one with room for two ram sticks, the only exceptions are super high end ones. I would go for a single stick of 8gb so you can upgrade to 16gb in the future. Also cooler compatability. You will want a small cooler in most cases (ayyyy). I reccomend the Noctua Nhl9i or the stock cooler. 

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

4 minutes ago, BurblingBarbacoa said:

thank you 

that helps