Why So slow?

GoldDimTzam69

I am transfering some data from one folder to another. Both folders are in the same hard drive and I am getting ridiculously slow speeds while transferring the data. Why is that? Screenshot_1.png

Probably because there are so many small items. They may be located in various places on the disk and being copied to a further various locations.

3 minutes ago, PalladianPD said:

Probably because there are so many small items. They may be located in various places on the disk and being copied to a further various locations.

There are small items but not a lot. Smallest item in that folder is 6.4mb. I dont think thats small enough to lower the speeds that much

11 minutes ago, GoldDimTzam69 said:

There are small items but not a lot. Smallest item in that folder is 6.4mb. I dont think thats small enough to lower the speeds that much

There are about 5000 items remaining, totaling 236 MB, which is an average of 45 KB per item

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

37 minutes ago, GoldDimTzam69 said:

I am transfering some data from one folder to another. Both folders are in the same hard drive and I am getting ridiculously slow speeds while transferring the data. Why is that? 

The way file transfers work is in sequence - every file is considered a new transfer and so it's essentially starting and stopping transfers 16,000 times.

I always explain it like this: It's faster to transfer ONE single 300GB file than it is to transfer TEN THOUSAND files totalling 30GB because that's how data transfers work. Obviously this is just an example, and not necessarily a real-world situation, but the point stands.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)