Need help to resolve issues of insufficient bandwidth

Flugel

I'll be frank, I have only started to learn and do my own research about networking and trying to improve my internet, however I'm finding it very hard to find any solutions to my current problem and I still really don't know much about networking, so I get the feeling I have misconceptions or I'm mixing unrelated things together, which, if that is the case I would highly appreciate someone telling me so.

I have terrible internet, however according to my "lovely" service provider, it's the best I can get. It's frustrating but I get only 10Mbps down and 1Mbps up at most. I have someone at home who constantly streams videos, and now I think they've begun to stream 1080p videos nonstop and daily. I get home from work, and I want to sit down relax and have some fun with friends on games. It's come to a point where I can't anymore, and I sit in despair in front of my computer waiting for 4-6h and watching my ping never lower from 300, making it impossible to play anything anymore. I heard apparently streaming 1080p videos can take upwards of 20Mbps?

I've tried to find solutions to this however I can't really find any other option than trying to switch ISPs, which I'm afraid won't be able to change much at all. I heard mention of something called "QoS" where I'm able to prioritize certain devices before others, but I can't seem to find any way to do so, granted I only have a modem and no router (is that the reason why?). If it helps I'm currently using the Bell Home Hub 2000, or also known as sagemcom fast 5250.

Any help would be highly appreciated, I'm getting kind of desperate. 

Connect your computer to your router with a cable, if it isn't already.

I doubt that someone watching 1080p videos really makes a noticeable difference.

If the person streaming video on your connection isn't experiencing stuttering, or quality drops, you've got plenty of bandwidth for both.

What game(s) are you referring to?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

5 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Connect your computer to your router with a cable, if it isn't already.

I doubt that someone watching 1080p videos really makes a noticeable difference.

If the person streaming video on your connection isn't experiencing stuttering, or quality drops, you've got plenty of bandwidth for both.

What game(s) are you referring to?

I already am connected via ethernet, it's just whenever they access their laptop and begin doing whatever it is they're doing, which normally is watching movies or videos, the ping I get on my side spikes continuously. They aren't downloading anything because if it were, I would see my ping spike to 2000, from past experience. They say "our internet is fine" so I assume they aren't getting quality drops in their streaming. I'm not exactly the confrontational type and don't want to get into an argument and fight over this, but it's getting very stressful. 

The main game I really care about my ping in is currently World of Tanks, mainly because I've begun playing with some good pals of mine I haven't seen in awhile since they don't live anywhere near me anymore. That said even outside of the game in things like teamspeak, where you can hit up your client information, I'm still getting the same ping, so I would assume it would be with everything else I play that requires some type or form of internet connection. 

Thanks for the reply.

4 minutes ago, Flugel said:

The main game I really care about my ping in is currently World of Tanks, mainly because I've begun playing with some good pals of mine I haven't seen in awhile since they don't live anywhere near me anymore. That said even outside of the game in things like teamspeak, where you can hit up your client information, I'm still getting the same ping, so I would assume it would be with everything else I play that requires some type or form of internet connection. 

So when the other computer isn't using the internet, your ping is fine?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

Just now, HPWebcamAble said:

So when the other computer isn't using the internet, your ping is fine?

If they're not really doing anything other than surfing it seems so yes. 

have you tried and gone into the modem? the model is supposed to be a modem/router are you connected , QOS primarily is for optimizing the whole connection rather than what you are looking for  which i think is distributing or limiting bandwidth to each pc. 

if there isnt something in the router to do that there are software programs that do it a a cost, i would recommend going to the bell website and doing an online chat with tech support to see if this function is available.

http://support.bell.ca/Internet/Products/Home-Hub-2000-modem

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20

4 minutes ago, Flugel said:

If they're not really doing anything other than surfing it seems so yes. 

Not really much you can do, unfortunately.

If you're using the stock (ISP) router, you might try a higher end one (borrow one, don't buy a new one, it probably won't help)

28 minutes ago, Flugel said:

snip

http://support.bell.ca/internet/connection-help/managing-wi-fi-networks-on-your-home-hub-2000-modem?step=3#displayStep

in addition to what i posted eariler for the steps on this page and see if you can limit the bandwidth to the wifi connections and see if that helps

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20

9 minutes ago, papapoi said:

have you tried and gone into the modem? the model is supposed to be a modem/router are you connected , QOS primarily is for optimizing the whole connection rather than what you are looking for  which i think is distributing or limiting bandwidth to each pc. 

if there isnt something in the router to do that there are software programs that do it a a cost, i would recommend going to the bell website and doing an online chat with tech support to see if this function is available.

http://support.bell.ca/Internet/Products/Home-Hub-2000-modem

I already have tried both options, both of which never really helped at all, the webpage is useless, and I've gone through everything in terms of options in my modem with nothing seemingly able to help :l.

Is there anyway of actually being able to use QoS?

8 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Not really much you can do, unfortunately.

If you're using the stock (ISP) router, you might try a higher end one (borrow one, don't buy a new one, it probably won't help)

According to Bell, the "home hub 2000 is the best we have". So I don't really think I'm going to be able to get anything better unless I buy sadly :c.

3 minutes ago, Flugel said:

According to Bell, the "home hub 2000 is the best we have". So I don't really think I'm going to be able to get anything better unless I buy sadly :c.

Oh I meant a non-ISP router. But like I said, I doubt it'll help.

8 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Oh I meant a non-ISP router. But like I said, I doubt it'll help.

12 minutes ago, papapoi said:

http://support.bell.ca/internet/connection-help/managing-wi-fi-networks-on-your-home-hub-2000-modem?step=3#displayStep

in addition to what i posted eariler for the steps on this page and see if you can limit the bandwidth to the wifi connections and see if that helps

Thanks to you both for trying to help out, although I was afraid that was the limit of what I could do. Thanks for your time. 

1 minute ago, Flugel said:

I already have tried both options, both of which never really helped at all, the webpage is useless, and I've gone through everything in terms of option in my modem without nothing seemingly able to help :l.

Is there anyway of actually being able to use QoS?

so you have already gone into the rmodem/router via 192.168.2.1 in a browser? 

i have been looking through the website and you the info(or lack of) is bad. typically a wired connection would have priority, and if you change the channel bandwidth in the wifi settings is should limit the amount given to your wireless devices, hence prioritizing the wired connection.

unfortunately other than that there is nothing you can do, QOS optimizes your network for gaming, video, etc, it doesnt set a rule to allocate bandwidth between PC's , but you can still try as long as there is an option in your modem, once you have logged into the modem  it should be in the advanced setup section

Just now, papapoi said:

so you have already gone into the rmodem/router via 192.168.2.1 in a browser? 

i have been looking through the website and you the info(or lack of) is bad. typically a wired connection would have priority, and if you change the channel bandwidth in the wifi settings is should limit the amount given to your wireless devices, hence prioritizing the wired connection.

unfortunately other than that there is nothing you can do, QOS optimizes your network for gaming, video, etc, it doesnt set a rule to allocate bandwidth between PC's , but you can still try as long as there is an option in your modem, once you have logged into the modem  it should be in the advanced setup section

Yup I  already have tried accessing the modem/router via the browser through that exact method and played around with the settings, and adjusted some of the transmitting strength to the wifi devices to no avail, there wasn't any change in latency for my computer. I couldn't find any QoS option in any of the options, so I assume that the modem, Bell home hub 2000 (sagemcom 5250) doesn't have the option to do it.

Thanks, really appreciate you going this far, but it seems like it's apparent that I'm not going to be able to really get the current situation fixed. 

Yous best option, although it's not a guarenteed fix, is to get a seperate router and change the Bell one into bridge mode, which makes it just a modem. If it can't do that, Bell has to be able to tell you a modem you could buy that it just a modem. Then you can use your own router that does have some QOS.

QOS depends on the router, but it typically does help in establishing some fairness to the network.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: