What are the purposes of these adapters?

Tomek20225

Hi, guys! :D

So I was visiting my dad in England a week ago. When we were shopping for some sweets in Poundland (something like American Price Club or Dollar Store) I suddenly came across something useful.

A small package containing some audio adapters, including the one that I've been looking for a long time - one male to two female jacks.

It works like a charm and that's great, but the thing is that I have no clue what can I use the rest for and I want to know out of pure curiosity.

If I recall correctly, there was also a 1 meter long male to male jack cable and two male jacks to one female adapter.

Any kind of help appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

http://www.sfcable.com/10A3-032HF.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwxI24BRDqqN3f-97N6egBEiQAGv37hDoNhK1AjlK4wYse1gaezb_Npq3ELewdhque6yOnBNEaAplN8P8HAQ

Like that one?

It's just to split one audio source to two outputs. Like you could hook up sound to a pair of speakers and headphones at the same time. 

Or you and someone else can listen to the same ipod lol 

The one male to two females is either a splitter so back in the day on the school bus me and my mate would plug both headphones into a single i pod. Or its a microphone headphone splitter for dual inputs like on most apple products and phones.

The one meter jack to jack is just a jack cable, could use it to plug speakers in or other stuff pretty basic.

I cant think of a use which is acceptable for two male to a single female all uses I could think of are bad to do as it affects impedances and other things.

The Dick of the audio page!

17 minutes ago, EndlessOyster said:

The one male to two females is either a splitter so back in the day on the school bus me and my mate would plug both headphones into a single i pod. Or its a microphone headphone splitter for dual inputs like on most apple products and phones.

The one meter jack to jack is just a jack cable, could use it to plug speakers in or other stuff pretty basic.

I cant think of a use which is acceptable for two male to a single female all uses I could think of are bad to do as it affects impedances and other things.

Two male to a single female would be the cable that splits a TRRS to two TRS.  For example, connecting an iPhone earbud to a soundcard that has separate ports for audio and mic.

Two female to a single male would be an adapter that combines two TRS into a TRRS (e.g. connecting a headphone with split audio and mic jacks to an iPhone) or as you also said, allowing two friends to share a single audio output, in which case is just a Y splitter.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, ALwin said:

Two male to a single female would be the cable that splits a TRRS to two TRS.  For example, connecting an iPhone earbud to a soundcard that has separate ports for audio and mic.

Two female to a single male would be an adapter that combines two TRS into a TRRS (e.g. connecting a headphone with split audio and mic jacks to an iPhone) or as you also said, allowing two friends to share a single audio output, in which case is just a Y splitter.

Dont know why i didnt think of that, could only think of things such as sending data to multiple speakers which isnt a good idea to do like that.

The Dick of the audio page!

If you have a single female to male cable, it could be just an extension cable.

If you have a cable with a male connections on both ends or female on both ends, they could be bridging cables that connect different audio devices.

An example of when I used a cable with male connections on either end, plugging one end into the earphone port of a radio and the other end to the mic port of a recorder, so I could record a nice (as clean as possible) sound.

There are also adapters that convert one type/size connection to another type/size.  Examples are XLR to Mini-XLR, 1/4 to 3.5mm or reverse, or to 2.5mm and reverse, Hirose to XLR, etc.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

40 minutes ago, EndlessOyster said:

Unless it's a 4 pole headset to 3 pole headphone/mic

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

The 2 male to 1 female adapter must be one of these:

41FmegrCfyL._SX300_.jpg

It's an adapter used in some airplanes, to connect your headphones to the seat's headphone output.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Hey, guys! :D

Thank you so much for helping me with it.

I know what can I use the one male to two female adapter for - that's exactly why I bought the package. It just contained two other adapters that I didn't know anything about.

Now I know why I would need that male to male cable, but I still don't entirely understand the reasoning behind the two male to one female adapter. If it's any help for you guys, I have the exact same one as showed in a photo above this post.

45 minutes ago, Tomek20225 said:

Hey, guys! :D

Thank you so much for helping me with it.

I know what can I use the one male to two female adapter for - that's exactly why I bought the package. It just contained two other adapters that I didn't know anything about.

Now I know why I would need that male to male cable, but I still don't entirely understand the reasoning behind the two male to one female adapter. If it's any help for you guys, I have the exact same one as showed in a photo above this post.

Used in some airplanes to connect to it.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

7 hours ago, spwath said:

Used in some airplanes to connect to it.

Yes, it is described here.  Because on some airlines, the seats do not have a single TRS stereo audio port, instead they have two mono audio ports, so that adapter (in the picture in that previous post) is used to split the TRS stereo jack of a headset into two mono jacks.

Cool :)

Thanks for all these answers! These were very helpful and I really appreciate them! :D