iOS 7 initial review(updated)

Godlygamer23

about the decreased battery life in settings there is a setting called, background app refresh that is set to on by default, this maybe the cause for more battery drain, also the extra animations might cause it too.  

I recently updated to iOS 7. It's been a smooth experience updating to it overall. I'll be updating this review as I continue using the new OS from Apple. My device for reference is the iPhone 4S. Overall, iOS up until iOS 7 has remained largely unchanged in terms of the UI look. iOS 7 has dramatically changed that - some people have already criticized Apple for the interface. Some like it. Some don't. What do I think? Read on to find out.

Looks

There's no denying that iOS 7 is a radical change. iOS 7 is very different from previous iOS versions. Everything is brighter and more colorful. The Music app icon is now a bright red, rather than the orange color it was before. The Video app icon is now a bright blue fading into a green color with the little "snapper" being the traditional black and white. The Photos app icon is basically a fancy color wheel with a white icon. Overall, I think the OS looks nice. Others will obviously disagree with me here.

Performance

When I first installed iOS 7, it felt a little sluggish. Keyboard was kinda slow at responding. But after a bit, it got as snappy as before. Memory usage seems to be slightly increased. Transitioning from the homescreen to folders results in a slightly higher delay than before. People who want pure speed in terms of the interface changing may not want to upgrade. Battery life seems to have decreased a bit. Further analysis though is required and will be updated further after using it longer. Boot time seems to be unchanged as well.

Issues

I have encountered two definite problems and one potential problem besides the slight sluggishness in the beginning. One issue that I encountered is heat. After using the device like I normally do, my phone seems to get warmer. Like gaming warm. I'll see how gaming is on here in terms of performance and heat. One other problem is Control Center. On paper, I'm supposed to swipe up on the screen to view it(both in the lockscreen, homescreen, and apps). I only got it to work once. The potential problem may be the battery life as mentioned above.

So far, iOS 7 is a good OS despite the issues. It performs well, and looks good. Further analysis will be required and I'll update as things either remain the same or change.

Also here are some screenshots of what the OS looks like in various situations

attachicon.gifIMG_1541.PNG

attachicon.gifIMG_1542.PNG

attachicon.gifIMG_1543.PNG

attachicon.gifIMG_1544.PNG

attachicon.gifIMG_1545.PNG

attachicon.gifIMG_1546.PNG

attachicon.gifIMG_1548.PNG

Update: I figured out why Control Center wasn't working for me. Apparently getting it to come up is very finicky. You have to make sure your finger is not touching any icons at the bottom for it to come up. You also have to flick your finger really fast.

Updated with a screenshot of Control Center.

Update: I just turned off WiFi for a bit and then turned it back on. It seems to connect to my router much faster than with iOS 6.

Did you really have over 18K emails?

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

Welcome to the Windows 8 and Android experience! 
We welcome you but just don't sue us <3

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

I like the old iphone looks

I have to agree.  I have yet to install iOS 7.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

Did you really have over 18K emails?

Yes. Reasons were already stated.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

i wish i could get this on my iPod 4 :(

oh well

AMD FX 8350 8-Core CPU (Stock 4GHz) | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | (Rev. 4.0) | 8GB 1600MHz HyperX Fury | AMD R9 270 (MSI Gaming OC Edition) | NZXT H440 (White) | Kingston 120GB SSDnow V300 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB (7200 RPM) | Corsair RM750m 750w Fully Modular Power Supply

Dell 23.6-Inch 1080p 60hz IPS Display | Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler | Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G502 Proteus Core | iSymphony Wireless Stereo Speakers | Windows 8.1 (64-bit)