VPN question

Dancingbannana

I go to a school with about 2000 kids in it. We have WiFi we are allowed to use but since it is a school we cannot use things like forums and reddit. (so it's basically school work only) Today I found out that after 4-5 VPNs I found that Hotspot Shield works. I can access all the sites I want while one the network. My question is if this would be safe and what my chances of getting in trouble would be.  We log in to the network with instead of a WiFi password we have an "identity"  which is first letter of first name followed by your last name.  Then we use our password for school email for the password to sign into it.  I am a very good student who gets straight a's if I got caught what are my chances of playing it off as a security thing? I read something about changing my opinion as well so they cannot see anything but I'm not sure.  Thanks,  also pardon my bad English. I'm on my phone

Hotspot shield will eventually give you tons of ads as a way to compensate, if your on android i would highly recommend cloud VPN, connects quick, has a solid connection, no issues. totally free

I've used Psiphon to get around my schools firewall for months without any issues. Its not like I do anything malicious, when I'm trying to legitimately do work and everything is blocked its a major hindrance, and im in Computer Networking, so if they somehow found out I'm not really worried of getting in trouble.

Since I've started using it pretty much everyone in my class now uses it too, and no one has ever gotten in trouble.

They also block  writing to the C drive, but since I have a little more permissions than the average student because of Computer Networking, I'm able to simply create a new folder on the C drive, then put whatever or install whatever I want in it. I've done this to get stuff like Java and Eclipse on all the computers I use.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

2 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

I've used Psiphon to get around my schools firewall for months without any issues. Its not like I do anything malicious, when I'm trying to legitimately do work and everything is blocked its a major hindrance, and im in Computer Networking, so if they somehow found out I'm not really worried of getting in trouble.

Since I've started using it pretty much everyone in my class now uses it too, and no one has ever gotten in trouble.

I was in the exact same situation as you and I also use Psiphon. Only thing I hate about it is that when you turn it off you might have to cycle the vpn to get chrome working without it. other than at, its the fastest, ad free vpn I know of. 

I use the Betternet app (only for iOS and android as far as I can tell)

Whether or not you get in any trouble depends on your principal / vice principals moods

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

2 minutes ago, asiancorruption said:

I was in the exact same situation as you and I also use Psiphon. Only thing I hate about it is that when you turn it off you might have to cycle the vpn to get chrome working without it. other than at, its the fastest, ad free vpn I know of. 

yeah its a fantastic no strings attached free program. To get it working without Psiphon I simply needed to exit the page and re-enter. I keep it off, but if I run into a blocked site I need access too, I just hit the back button, run psiphon, and then click the link again and im fine.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

16 minutes ago, Dancingbannana said:

I go to a school with about 2000 kids in it. We have WiFi we are allowed to use but since it is a school we cannot use things like forums and reddit. (so it's basically school work only) Today I found out that after 4-5 VPNs I found that Hotspot Shield works. I can access all the sites I want while one the network. My question is if this would be safe and what my chances of getting in trouble would be.  We log in to the network with instead of a WiFi password we have an "identity"  which is first letter of first name followed by your last name.  Then we use our password for school email for the password to sign into it.  I am a very good student who gets straight a's if I got caught what are my chances of playing it off as a security thing? I read something about changing my opinion as well so they cannot see anything but I'm not sure.  Thanks,  also pardon my bad English. I'm on my phone

you could easily get caught doing this if IT admins see strange connections tied to your login creds.  I do not know the full network topology in this case, but IF the IT admins even log user data they won't see what sites you've been too (since VPNs double as a proxy)  In this case if they complain and you are a good student, just say you always use a VPN for additional security by default and that you were using it for school work.  They have no way to prove that you weren't; you should be fine.  

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

9 hours ago, zipperbiscuits said:

Hotspot shield will eventually give you tons of ads as a way to compensate, if your on android i would highly recommend cloud VPN, connects quick, has a solid connection, no issues. totally free

I have my phone rooted so I have a away so that shouldn't be an issue

8 hours ago, PCgamer324 said:

you could easily get caught doing this if IT admins see strange connections tied to your login creds.  I do not know the full network topology in this case, but IF the IT admins even log user data they won't see what sites you've been too (since VPNs double as a proxy)  In this case if they complain and you are a good student, just say you always use a VPN for additional security by default and that you were using it for school work.  They have no way to prove that you weren't; you should be fine.  

So from what I understand they would see my login then  instead of normal traffic like Gmail and exc. They would see just a bunch of garbled trash? If so is there a way to make myself invisible entirely.  I am on a phone not computer because we have Chrome books. Thanks