What... Happened?

DarkEnergy

Ok, so I'm using an old desktop right now (from 2008) because I'm waiting for a part for my main rig to be repaired. I know this computer has had issues in the past but not recently except for today. I woke it up from sleep and one of the internal fans revved up to max. There was no video on the screen and the keyboard wasn't lit either, only the mouse. I force shut it down. Turned it back on and nothing, no keyboard mouse or video, just computer noises. This is where it gets weird. After shutting it down, I go and unplug the cable from the back and press the power button. It actually sounded like it was starting to turn on but then it turned off??? With no power cable??? I do it again and I noticed the light on my external SSD goes on for a second and shuts off. I plug the computer back in and turn it on. All seems fine except after I log on. It's like nothing happened. My browser is still open with all my tabs and the computer is ready to go without loading a thing. As I was typing this the screen went black and back on for about 4 or 5 times now. This is new. Is this a power issue? Graphics card issue? Sorcery? 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

2 minutes ago, DarkEnergy said:

Ok, so I'm using an old desktop right now (from 2008) because I'm waiting for a part for my main rig to be repaired. I know this computer has had issues in the past but not recently except for today. I woke it up from sleep and one of the internal fans revved up to max. There was no video on the screen and the keyboard wasn't lit either, only the mouse. I force shut it down. Turned it back on and nothing, no keyboard mouse or video, just computer noises. This is where it gets weird. After shutting it down, I go and unplug the cable from the back and press the power button. It actually sounded like it was starting to turn on but then it turned off??? With no power cable??? I do it again and I noticed the light on my external SSD goes on for a second and shuts off. I plug the computer back in and turn it on. All seems fine except after I log on. It's like nothing happened. My browser is still open with all my tabs and the computer is ready to go without loading a thing. As I was typing this the screen went black and back on for about 4 or 5 times now. This is new. Is this a power issue? Graphics card issue? Sorcery? 

Definitely sorcery.

Main Rig

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.9ghz | MotherBoard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero | GPU: EVGA SC GTX Titan OC'd | Case: 750D AirFlow Edition  | Power Supply: Corsair CX750M | RAM: G.Skill RipJaws V 4x8gb 32gb @ 2133mhz | Cooling: Corsair H115i GTX | Storage: 2 x WD Blue 2TB HDD

Girlfriend's Rig:

Spoiler

CPU: fx-6300| MotherBoard: Asus M5A97 | GPU: EVGA SSC ACX 2.0+ GTX 960 2GB | Case: Deep Cool Tesseract | Power Supply: Corsair CX500M | RAM: 8GB | Cooling: Hyper 212 EVO | Storage: 1 WD Blue 1TB HDD 

Sounds like a Power supply issue.

After you unplug the PSU, it takes a while for the capacitors to discharge, that is why the PC could turn on for a second without being plug to the wall.  

Mystery is the source of all true science.

If it were me and I had to troubleshoot that, I'd start by replacing the PSU. If that didn't change anything, then the MOBO.

1 minute ago, Sors said:

Sounds like a Power supply issue.

After you unplug the PSU, it takes a while for the capacitors to discharge, that is why the PC could turn on for a second without being plug to the wall.  

It's just strange. I've never had a computer with enough power in the capacitors to actually start turning it on. I've done this before and nothing happens, I just assume the capacitors discharged. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

3 minutes ago, zeusthunder369 said:

If it were me and I had to troubleshoot that, I'd start by replacing the PSU. If that didn't change anything, then the MOBO.

I would but I don't really want to waste money on an old computer I'm only going to have for a couple of weeks plus all the PSU's I have laying around are molex (This is sata). Replacing the mobo would be hard as it's prebuilt. 

3 minutes ago, DarkEnergy said:

It's just strange. I've never had a computer with enough power in the capacitors to actually start turning it on. I've done this before and nothing happens, I just assume the capacitors discharged. 

I have seen it a few times, maybe you have notice with a laptop's power adapter, when they have a led light you can unplug them and the led takes a few seconds to turn off, because the adapter is still delivering power from the residual charge in the capacitors.

Anyway, yeah I would start testing with another PSU.

3 minutes ago, Sors said:

I have seen it a few times, maybe you have notice with a laptop's power adapter, when they have a led light you can unplug them and the led takes a few seconds to turn off, because the adapter is still delivering power from the residual charge in the capacitors.

Anyway, yeah I would start testing with another PSU.

Everything does seem to point to the PSU but how can you explain my browser still being open with all my tabs after turn it on finally? It's not like I had it on hibernate mode. I would expect it to boot normally after a force shut down and clearing the capacitors. 

4 minutes ago, DarkEnergy said:

Everything does seem to point to the PSU but how can you explain my browser still being open with all my tabs after turn it on finally? It's not like I had it on hibernate mode. I would expect it to boot normally after a force shut down and clearing the capacitors. 

What OS is it?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

2 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

What OS is it?

Windows 10 64 bit

2 minutes ago, DarkEnergy said:

Windows 10 64 bit

Sometimes my laptop (also ~2008) goes into some sort of hibernate if it's left in sleep mode.

At that point the battery can be removed but it will still resume where you left off, since it is in hibernate.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

1 minute ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Sometimes my laptop (also ~2008) goes into some sort of hibernate if it's left in sleep mode.

At that point the battery can be removed but it will still resume where you left off, since it is in hibernate.

That does make sense. Although I think hibernate is disabled because I don't see it as an option in the shut down menu. 

4 minutes ago, DarkEnergy said:

That does make sense. Although I think hibernate is disabled because I don't see it as an option in the shut down menu. 

Same for my laptop

23 minutes ago, DarkEnergy said:

Windows 10 normal shutdown IS a form of hibernate.  

Have you ever notice that restarting your PC is slower than shutting down and powering up? 

Restart is the only time that win 10 will actually make a normal boot, reading all the files to boot like PCs had to do with win 7, XP and previous.