Fast internet, although terrible wifi speeds.

Simply_lime

Hello lovely people of the LTT forum. As the title suggests, I have gigabit fiber internet in my home and bought a badass Linksys wrt1900acs to go along with it. All seems well with setup until I do a wifi speed test with my phone right next to it (both 2.4 and 5 GHz tested.) And got a speed of!.. 2 Mbps at worst and fluctuating ridiculously between 2-15-50-70(almost never)-and 5. I have not moved in the whole test and am getting absolutely poor results. I have hooked up my desktop to Ethernet and have gotten 600-900 down and up flawlessly. If anyone has ideas do let me know. Thank you for your time.

What phone are you using?

Does it support 802.11ac?

Have you tried other devices to test your wireless connection?

Xeon - i5 - Exynos

KIRIRIN-PC

| CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2670 0 - 8 Cores/16 Threads @ 2.60GHz (up to 3.30GHz) | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S (1x Noctua NF-A15 140mm PWM Fan - Push) | GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming Z (2012MHz@0.962V / 1797MHz@0.875V) | RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Panram Light Sword DDR3-1600MHz CL9 | Motherboard: Alienware Aurora R4 ALX 07JNH0 (X79 LGA2011) | SSD: Transcend SSD370 256GB SATA-III | HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB 7200rpm SATA-III | Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500R ATX Mid Tower | Case Fans: (Front Intake) 2x Deepcool XFAN 120mm, (Rear Exhaust) 1x Deepcool Ice Blade 120mm, (Top Exhaust) 2x Deepcool XFAN 120mm, (Side Intake) 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro LED (White) 120mm  | PSU: Seasonic G-650 650W 80+ Gold Semi Modular | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

A Dell

| Model: Dell Inspiron 3443 | CPU: Intel Core i5-5200U - 2 Cores/4 Threads @ 2.20GHz (up to 2.70GHz) | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 5500 + NVIDIA GeForce 820M | RAM: 1x Kingston 8GB DDR3L-1600MHz SODIMM | HDD: Western Digital Blue 500GB 5400rpm | OS: Windows 10 Home |

Sammy

| Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7 | Model: SM-G930FD | Color: Gold Platinum | CPU: Samsung Exynos 8890 - 4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz (up to 2.6GHz) + 4x ARM Cortex A53 @ 1.6GHz | GPU: ARM Mali-T880MP12 @ 650MHz | RAM: 4GB LPDDR4 @ 1794MHz | ROM: 32GB UFS 2.0 | Main Camera: 12MP Sony Exmor RS IMX260 | OS: Android 7.0 Nougat | Kernel: Stock | Bootloader: Locked |

1 hour ago, beavo451 said:

Ok. Did you try it a little bit further away?

I have to no avail, sadly.

1 hour ago, kiririn said:

What phone are you using?

Does it support 802.11ac?

Have you tried other devices to test your wireless connection?

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy s5 which does indeed support 802.11ac. This has occurred to me in the past as my ISP has provided a non wireless router/"residential gateway". Could that be conflicting with my router by chance? If so would that nessecarily be the cause of my slowdowns?

19 hours ago, Simply_lime said:

Hello lovely people of the LTT forum. As the title suggests, I have gigabit fiber internet in my home and bought a badass Linksys wrt1900acs to go along with it. All seems well with setup until I do a wifi speed test with my phone right next to it (both 2.4 and 5 GHz tested.) And got a speed of!.. 2 Mbps at worst and fluctuating ridiculously between 2-15-50-70(almost never)-and 5. I have not moved in the whole test and am getting absolutely poor results. I have hooked up my desktop to Ethernet and have gotten 600-900 down and up flawlessly. If anyone has ideas do let me know. Thank you for your time.

Is it next to any other wireless devices and is the wireless space congested ie are there a lot of other access points around you?  If so, try changing wireless channels.  If possible, try using another router/access point just to see if you get a speed boost.  If you do, you may have a defective Linksys WRT1900ACS.  As a last resort, you could try contacting your ISP or Linksys customer support to resolve this issue.  

20 hours ago, Simply_lime said:

The 2.4Ghz will cap out around 300Mbps. You should get over 1Gbps on the 5GHz AC connection.

The first thing I'd do is test a LAN file transfer over the 5GHz WiFi - if the speed is optimal, then your router is fine, and the problem is with your internet connection (a service problem or something similar).

Almost as cool as my temps