LAN Speed Problems

Hi everyone.  I have gigabit connection all around the house. Gigabit nics, gigabit switches, gigabit router,  everything gigabit.   I have been dvd ripping recently to start getting rid of my stockpile collection.  i also have a freenas to store everything on.  If you check the screenshot below, my transfer speeds from my computer to my freenas are gigabit speeds, but very inconsistent  can someone help?  i have already tried connecting both directly to the router but it also didn't help, which means that my switch is fine.  Thanks for any help

Untitled.png

your image doesnt work for me, but what's the hard drive setup?

a regular 7200rpm hard drive will *do* gigabit, but it'll be inconsistent depending on the seek times.

Picture doesn't work.

Maybe your NAS is to slow to process in "gigabit-speed"
Maybe your drive(s) in the NAS is(are) to slow.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

your image doesnt work for me, but what's the hard drive setup?

a regular 7200rpm hard drive will *do* gigabit, but it'll be inconsistent depending on the seek times.

1 minute ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Picture doesn't work.

Maybe your NAS is to slow to process in "gigabit-speed"
Maybe your drive(s) in the NAS is(are) to slow.

It's a 500GB WD 7200rpm hard drive if that helps

Yeah I'd say it has something to do with the drive you're pulling from or the drive you're writing to. 

You also mentioned you've tried connecting directly to the router. Try disabling WiFi to ensure that it's transferring over Ethernet rather than just telling you it's using Ethernet. 

My Storage box as a crappy laptop drive that I store stuff on and it copies over at Gigabit speeds just fine. 

xXSHss5.png

35 minutes ago, ShadyHost said:

Yeah I'd say it has something to do with the drive you're pulling from or the drive you're writing to. 

You also mentioned you've tried connecting directly to the router. Try disabling WiFi to ensure that it's transferring over Ethernet rather than just telling you it's using Ethernet. 

My Storage box as a crappy laptop drive that I store stuff on and it copies over at Gigabit speeds just fine. 

xXSHss5.png

kinda funny, mine was from an old laptop as well.  Both the freenas and the pc don't have wifi capabilities so i know that its using ethernet.   reading from an ssd so i dont think that is the problem