Using GPU with iGPU

I Hendrycks I

Hey, I wasn't sure what section to put this in but I'm trying to prepare for my HTC Vive coming in May. Atm my GTX 970 has my main monitor connected to DVI and my second one to HDMI. The Vive comes with an HDMI so I'd rather have it connected (instead of having to buy a displayport) but my 2nd monitor is occupying the only HDMI my card has.

Would plugging my TV into the integrated graphics on my i5-6600K while the Vive and my main monitor being on my 970 affect performance at all? I'm thinking more of having to have two drivers and two programs going at once. I'd also like to split my seoncd monitor's HDMI to a secondary 50" TV for people to watch when they aren't using the Vive like Tribal Instincts is doing, would the integrated graphics be able to handle two TV's at 1080P 60Hz? Thanks!

dont you have a free DVI connector? you can get passive adapters DVI<->HDMI since they carry the same signal.

as for mixing GPU brands, i think this says it all: (sorry, no matrox, they're not worth the money)

2a345c91cb.jpg

18 minutes ago, I Hendrycks I said:

Hey, I wasn't sure what section to put this in but I'm trying to prepare for my HTC Vive coming in May. Atm my GTX 970 has my main monitor connected to DVI and my second one to HDMI. The Vive comes with an HDMI so I'd rather have it connected (instead of having to buy a displayport) but my 2nd monitor is occupying the only HDMI my card has.

Would plugging my TV into the integrated graphics on my i5-6600K while the Vive and my main monitor being on my 970 affect performance at all? I'm thinking more of having to have two drivers and two programs going at once. I'd also like to split my seoncd monitor's HDMI to a secondary 50" TV for people to watch when they aren't using the Vive like Tribal Instincts is doing, would the integrated graphics be able to handle two TV's at 1080P 60Hz? Thanks!

I'm sorry but as far as I know on desktop you have to chose to use either the discrete GPU or the iGPU on the CPU, you cannot use both.

Just now, Sack said:

I'm sorry but as far as I know on desktop you have to chose to use either the descrete GPU or the iGPU on the CPU, you cannot use both.

look above you, friend.

3 hours ago, Sack said:

I'm sorry but as far as I know on desktop you have to chose to use either the descrete GPU or the iGPU on the CPU, you cannot use both.

I've used both before and it works fine - I'm just wondering about the performance impact when under load, especially since my 970 is the minimum recommended spec for the Vive. I'd also need to know if the integrated graphics can handle the HDMI being split to a TV and monitor at once.

Just now, I Hendrycks I said:

I've used both before and it works fine - I'm just wondering about the performance impact when under load, especially since my 970 is the minimum recommended spec for the Vive. I'd also need to know if the integrated graphics can handle the HDMI being split to a TV and monitor at once.

Hmm, I did not know that was possible, I don't see any reason why splitting the signal should pose any problems, as long as the splitter is decent.

5 minutes ago, I Hendrycks I said:

as far as i've experienced, theres no difference in performance, as long as you have your main panel hooked up to the GPU you want to do the math on, as well as the monitors you game on. (havent done much testing on this last one, it seems to be a bit game dependant)

4 hours ago, manikyath said:

as far as i've experienced, theres no difference in performance, as long as you have your main panel hooked up to the GPU you want to do the math on, as well as the monitors you game on. (havent done much testing on this last one, it seems to be a bit game dependant)

Awesome! I actually just use the second monitor for Youtube, Netflix or working - not gaming so I should be good to go. Thanks!