Western Digital HGST 10TB nas drive raid help

syfer

Hi I have 2 Western Digital HGST 10TB and I want to buy nas external drive for these Western Digital HGST 10TB but the problem is I cant seem to find one that works with this hard drive.

I was original thinking of buying WD My Cloud EX4 24TB and but not sure. I want to know what advise you can give me?

I want a nas for back up and steaming purposes so I think a raid 1 should be good in case one hard drives dies it does a raid back up to the other on so this way my back up still are ok was the route I was thinking of.

So need on first time buying a nas advice.

Basically any NAS will support those disks, just make sure you buy one with that comes with no disks since you have your own you want to put in it. 

I see any recommendation of good company names then as I only know of the WD My Cloud EX4?

I want one with usb 3.0 and one that can be accessed from my network like phones, tablet and my laptop so that I can steam video to these devices. 

any recommendation of good company to look at?

Well my main purpose back up and steaming I did see this qnap TVS-1282T which I think fits my needs but I need help in picking ssd caching and m.2 ssd as im not sure what works with this when it does come out?

When will this come out then I will see but im doing buying list at the moment.

12 minutes ago, Principis said:

I think you should buy what you want they are both excellent brands :)

Normally any HDD/ssd will work 

Edit: you have 2 drives and you are going to buy an 8 slot nas why?

It also has 2 M.2 slots and 4 2.5 bays also for SSD's. The CPU's are extremely powerful too, i5-6500 or i7-6700. Hate to think what the price tag is....

@syfer I would get something much less expensive than that which closer meets your needs, that thing is going to be insanely expensive. A TS-251+-8G or TS-451+-8G will be plenty for what you want.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It also has 2 M.2 slots and 4 2.5 bays also for SSD's. The CPU's are extremely powerful too, i5-6500 or i7-6700. Hate to think what the price tag is....

@syfer I would get something much less expensive than that which closer meets your needs, that thing is going to be insanely expensive. A TS-251+-8G or TS-451+-8G will be plenty for what you want.

Wow that's insane I would build my own Nas if I needed such thing...

6 hours ago, syfer said:

Well my main purpose back up and steaming I did see this qnap TVS-1282T which I think fits my needs but I need help in picking ssd caching and m.2 ssd as im not sure what works with this when it does come out?

When will this come out then I will see but im doing buying list at the moment.

What are your needs? I suspect that you don't actually need that much power.

Well I could buy some more realistic Ii only have 2 but I plan on buying more 10tb hard drives to fill in up in the feature that's why I want long term and feature proof nas. This one has thunderbolt 2 and I can also hook the nas up to my router to steam my content to my laptop and other desktop pc over my network. With this nas I can have 40tb and another 40tb as raid drive so if any fail or die I still have my data safe. I think 40tb is plenty and then I can get ride of my external old hard drives that I have. 

34 minutes ago, syfer said:

Well I could buy some more realistic Ii only have 2 but I plan on buying more 10tb hard drives to fill in up in the feature that's why I want long term and feature proof nas. This one has thunderbolt 2 and I can also hook the nas up to my router to steam my content to my laptop and other desktop pc over my network. With this nas I can have 40tb and another 40tb as raid drive so if any fail or die I still have my data safe. I think 40tb is plenty and then I can get ride of my external old hard drives that I have. 

True but also note all QNAP and Synology NAS's can run plex server and stream video/audio by Airplay, DLNA and XBMC so you don't need such a high end one that has SSD caching etc, that is nice though. Any 4-8 bay NAS from both will do the job nicely. 

I run my own XPenology on a AMD e-350 with 4gb ram and an LSI9211-8i HBA IT mode :-)

I  paired it with a 4 3TB WD Reds and use 4 3TB WD Greens as backup. (Synology backup task)

Hi i did see these 

synology DS2415+
Intel Atom C2538

synology DS3615xs
Intel Core i3-4130

qnap TVS-EC1080+
the synology ones I like more as I can get 1 more extra 10tb hard drive but which one should I pick as the cpu are very low?

The qnap TVS-EC1080+ has better cpu but 1 less hard drive room.

I think I will pick the synology but wich one should I pick as which one has the better cpu 

synology DS2415+
Intel Atom C2538

or

synology DS3615xs
Intel Core i3-4130

?????????????

HELP

5 minutes ago, syfer said:

Hi i did see these 

synology DS2415+
Intel Atom C2538

synology DS3615xs
Intel Core i3-4130

qnap TVS-EC1080+
the synology ones I like more as I can get 1 more extra 10tb hard drive but which one should I pick as the cpu are very low?

The qnap TVS-EC1080+ has better cpu but 1 less hard drive room.

I think I will pick the synology but wich one should I pick as which one has the better cpu 

synology DS2415+
Intel Atom C2538

or

synology DS3615xs
Intel Core i3-4130

?????????????

HELP

If you are looking at spending that much on a NAS you are hitting the price point where you can get much more for your money if you build your own NAS. In either case if you are going to run a plex server on it pick the one with the strong CPU, BUT the extra price Synology are asking for it is not worth it. If you are not going to run a plex server then there is no reason to go for a high CPU model.

Out of the ones you listed the QNAP TVS-EC1080+ is the best option, it has the highest spec CPU by far and is not the most expensive. It also comes with inbuilt SSD cache and 32GB non ECC ram. The Synology DS3615xs has no SSD cache and ships standard with 4GB ECC.

The question I am wondering though is how much data do you have right now. You say you have 2 10TB disks that you want to put in to it. The warranty on the QNAP is 3 years and 5 years on the Synology. Unless you can fill all disk bays in 3 years but more importantly actually need that space buying a bigger NAS is not worth it. There are a few factors as to why. The main one being that 3 years in storage is a long time, you may only need 4 bays or even in 3 years time large capacity 2.5" SSD are cheap enough it is better to move to a 2.5" NAS rather than continue to spend money on an old system.

Basically buy what you need now but double it, this should last you 3-5 years. Existing disks can be replaced with larger ones along with filling the 2 empty slots in a 4 bay system. I cannot honestly see how you can possibly need 80TB+ raw capacity and coping data to a different array in the same NAS is not a backup.

I'm not adversed to people spending large amounts of money on computer equipment for home but I don't like to see it be needlessly spent. I myself have spent huge amounts on servers, network equipment, firewalls etc for home but I do use them to their full extent and they help with my own professional development. 

Qnap ts563?

I never had A qnap...

Maybe you need to buy the HS251... It comes with kodi... No need for plex locally ;)

I have the Snap ts-653 pro but we use it only for backing up data. Itt's way overpowered.

What do you want to do with the NAS? If you want to use it only for storage then you can choose anything but if you want to stream and encode video like plex I would take a better CPU but not too overpowered Plex runs on anything seriously.

I have this server with an Xeon E3110 (dual core 3 GHz 45 nm) it's old as shit but runs fine.

I did see somewhere that synology DS3615xs cpu can be updated but this void the warranty but I dont mind it doing this but was wondering what cpu would I upgrade wit with? 

I might make my own but not sure if its easer to do like configuring the nas never done this before.

You need to ask yourself some question.

1 What are you going to do with it?

2 how much money do I want to spend

1+2 -> prebuild or build your own

If you're spending the dough on a DS3615xs, you seriously need to overthink it.
You have 2 drives now, If you get a 4 or 5 bay model, you'll be set for another few years.

After goggle a few things I can see it possible to build my own nas for less than but I am wondering what free os are their for nas and which one should I pick?

1 hour ago, syfer said:

After goggle a few things I can see it possible to build my own nas for less than but I am wondering what free os are their for nas and which one should I pick?

I can't help you if you won't answer my questions...

If it's just for data storage, then a 'simple' nas will do...
If you're overthinking PLEX with multiple clients that need transcoding -> QNAP TS563 with 8Gb mem or a Synology equivalent of some sort.