Secondary Keyboard

Mushious

Heyoo,

Just wondering if something like a Razer Nostromo / Logitech G13 exists that Windows can detect as unique keys instead of remapping existing keys on the keyboard without making macros and stuff. Or, if I got one of those additional keypad thingies, could I give them unique binds instead of being forced to macro or mimic the keyboard?

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

4 minutes ago, Mushious said:

SNIP

You can bind the buttons to whatever you want through the software, so you could have the keys make any keystroke you want

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

7 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

You can bind the buttons to whatever you want through the software, so you could have the keys make any keystroke you want

Except as far as I'm aware, they're bound to existing keys, you can't create new keys for them.

Green With Envy

2 minutes ago, Mushious said:

Except as far as I'm aware, they're bound to existing keys, you can't create new keys for them.

Correct...seeing as there are no more "keys" to press.

Outside of gamepads and mouse clicks, every thing has to be a keyboard keypress somewhere along the line

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Correct...seeing as there are no more "keys" to press.

Outside of gamepads and mouse clicks, every thing has to be a keyboard keypress somewhere along the line

But I want need more. :(

Green With Envy

20 minutes ago, Mushious said:

But I want need more. :(

Explain what you need and want and maybe I can help

What keys OUTSIDE of keyboard function and keys do you need to press? that is the entire point of the pad

You bind it to your favourite keys, macros, and functions,

Eg if you hook up 2 keyboards you dont magically get more keys to press, there are only so many key inputs

17 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Explain what you need and want and maybe I can help

What keys OUTSIDE of keyboard function and keys do you need to press? that is the entire point of the pad

You bind it to your favourite keys, macros, and functions,

Eg if you hook up 2 keyboards you dont magically get more keys to press, there are only so many key inputs

Basically, I want a second keyboard/pad (of some kind) that doesn't use binds that are already on my existing hardware so I can use it solely for operating streaming software (OBS in this case). Using macros simply isn't good enough as they either end up conflicting with either the games or streaming software (or Windows itself >.>). What I need is something that when plugged in, is recognized as a unique input device. I realise that plugging in two keyboards wouldn't work which is why devices like the G13 and Nostromo are no good for me.

Like as an example, my HOTAS each have like, 24 or so unique keys. Windows recognizes them as unique keys, does a simple keypad with the same tech not exist?

Green With Envy

32 minutes ago, Mushious said:

, does a simple keypad with the same tech not exist?

Not that i am aware of

I use mine for OBS and adobe premier just fine, i just bind the keys to commands like shift control alt f9 or something weird that would never interfere etc

never had an issue with macros or anything myself

5 hours ago, Mushious said:

Basically, I want a second keyboard/pad (of some kind) that doesn't use binds that are already on my existing hardware so I can use it solely for operating streaming software (OBS in this case). Using macros simply isn't good enough as they either end up conflicting with either the games or streaming software (or Windows itself >.>). What I need is something that when plugged in, is recognized as a unique input device. I realise that plugging in two keyboards wouldn't work which is why devices like the G13 and Nostromo are no good for me.

Like as an example, my HOTAS each have like, 24 or so unique keys. Windows recognizes them as unique keys, does a simple keypad with the same tech not exist?

Just set up your controls to be done through a key combo that nothing uses. e.g. ctrl+alt+shift+r for record, or something like that, and just bind everything to start with those three. It's really not that hard when you set stuff to be a keypress that registers multiple keys with windows. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Supposedly this program can detect distinct HID devices and map macros specific to that device input. 

http://www.hidmacros.eu/whatisit.php

So you can buy cheap numberpads and just assign them macros and they will not interfere with your normal keyboard.

Edit: hidmacros is no longer being developed. They've moved on to LUAmacros which seems to be more powerful albeit higher learning curve since you'd have to script LUA. 

http://www.hidmacros.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=241#p794

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS