What oil do I put on my Noisy FAN?

rcarlos243

I have a Gigabyte R9 290x Windforce OC and one of the fan is rattling/noisy.

I am located at USA.

I heard that it is a bad idea to put WD-40 and that I should use machine oil / light sewing machine oil.

What oil should I buy? If someone can give me a direct link (like from wallmart or something) that would be great.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

machine oil will burn out pretty quickly as it's not intended to be used in hi friction environment

I used, with some degree of success, fuser oil / silicone oil

but, if the fan is rattling ... my guess is that the bronze sleeve has worned out - nothing you can do out that other the replacing it

Sewing machine oil is one of your best bets because it is intended to be used in a machine that moves at high RPMs. In fact, Overclockers.net has a guide about it here. You are correct that WD-40 is a bad choice because it is not actually a lubricant, it is a water barrier to prevent rust. WD=water displacing; 40=40th formulation attempt.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

11 hours ago, zMeul said:

machine oil will burn out pretty quickly as it's not intended to be used in hi friction environment

I used, with some degree of success, fuser oil / silicone oil

but, if the fan is rattling ... my guess is that the bronze sleeve has worned out - nothing you can do out that other the replacing it

11 hours ago, DevilishBooster said:

Sewing machine oil is one of your best bets because it is intended to be used in a machine that moves at high RPMs. In fact, Overclockers.net has a guide about it here. You are correct that WD-40 is a bad choice because it is not actually a lubricant, it is a water barrier to prevent rust. WD=water displacing; 40=40th formulation attempt.

Can you recommend a particular product?

How about this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-21030-Synthetic-Grease/dp/B000XBH9HI

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

11 hours ago, DevilishBooster said:

"machine" oil is absolutely not intended for this type of job - referring to fans 

that type of oil is used in hi precision machinery where tolerances are very tight as it produces very low friction

---

@rcarlos243 I guess you can try it out

for this type of friction I would try actual engine oil

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

"machine" oil is absolutely not intended for this type of job - referring to fans 

that type of oil is used in hi precision machinery where tolerances are very tight as it produces very low friction

---

@rcarlos243 I guess you can try it out

for this type of friction I would try actual engine oil

Engine oil is not the correct type to use because its viscosity is too high, particularly at cool temperatures. Sewing machine oil is designed for applications where "less is more" and it is designed to maintain the correct viscosty at high temps/speed, it will not gum up in high heat situations like 3-in-1 oil is sometimes (read: rarely) known to do, and the tolerances in a computer fan's bearings is tight enough that sewing machine oil works great. It is widely held in the PC DIY community as the best option.

@rcarlos243 I don't know what stores you have in your area or what brands any local Walmarts stock, so I can't really give you a direct recommendation. I would just go to Walmart or any craft store like Michael's and ask to see their sewing machine oil. It shouldn't be too expensive, and remember while doing the work that it should only take 1 drop.

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

A progressively noisy fan generally means bearing wear and adding oil doesn't help one iota .. yes it makes it quieter for a while but the damage is done and progresses even after oiling. Once bearing damage gets to the human audible range your way past maintenance to save it.

What is the consequence of the fan suddenly failing.. if it's insignificant then add a tiny amount of oil to keep it quit till it fails... if not and it can kill something you replace the fan.

Not the answer most people like but so many people incorrectly advise on adding oil to nosy (damaged) bearings it's seemingly become embedded even though it's nonsense. Yep you'll keep it quiet but it's still knackered.

6 hours ago, DevilishBooster said:

Engine oil is not the correct type to use because its viscosity is too high, particularly at cool temperatures. Sewing machine oil is designed for applications where "less is more" and it is designed to maintain the correct viscosty at high temps/speed, it will not gum up in high heat situations like 3-in-1 oil is sometimes (read: rarely) known to do, and the tolerances in a computer fan's bearings is tight enough that sewing machine oil works great. It is widely held in the PC DIY community as the best option

I've used both sewing machine oil and silicone oil in fans that were already showing wear

"machine" oil will "burn" in couple of weeks and will seize up completely

silicone oil will gunk up too but will last quite longer

the bronze bushing and quite probably the center axis itself are already worn out and will create a lot of friction and heat

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I've used both sewing machine oil and silicone oil in fans that were already showing wear

"machine" oil will "burn" in couple of weeks and will seize up completely

silicone oil will gunk up too but will last quite longer

the bronze bushing and quite probably the center axis itself are already worn out and will create a lot of friction and heat

If you are talking about oiling a fan with a bad bearing, shaft, or sheath, then yes it will more than likely not last very long because the worn out parts are creating more friction and heat then they are specified for. If that is the case then no type or amount of oil will fix the issue, and the failure of the lubrication is not a fault of the oil and does not change the fact that sewing machine oil is the most reasonable option for lubricating a fan bearing. If the OP's fan's bearings are going bad then he needs to order a replacement cooler for his card and not worry about oiling the bearings. If the fan noise issue just started very recently and is not severe, then it is reasonable to think applying some lubrication might remedy the situation. Some key things to listen for are the intensity of the noise and if it fluctuates while the fan speed is reported as steady. If the fan is holding reasonably steady RPMs but sounds like it is fluctuating in speed (if the pitch/intensity of the noise goes up and down, or if it sounds like it is wobbling) then I would guess that the bearing or shaft is going out and the cooler needs to be replaced.

END OF LINE

2 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

If you are talking about oiling a fan with a bad bearing, shaft, or sheath, then yes

this is exactly the OPs problem, fan that's already showing wear

originally bush type bearing fans do not use any type of lubricant (other than air) because it increases friction - these types of bearings are self centering

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

this is exactly the OPs problem, fan that's already showing wear

originally bush type bearing fans do not use any type of lubricant (other than air) because it increases friction - these types of bearings are self centering

I recognize that. The OP didn't ask if he should replace the fan, he only asked for input on what kind of lubrication to use. I answered their question and leave the decision up to them. If the cooler fans are indeed rattling and not just making some noise, then they should replace them as previously stated. If the fans are only making a little noise right now and the OP doesn't have enough money to buy a replacement cooler at this moment, then buying a small bottle of sewing machine oil (usually very inexpensive) might help extend the life of the cooler fans until they can save up enough money to purchase a replacement cooler. 

END OF LINE

WD 40 is a lubricant. Not sure why people don't get this.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

17 hours ago, Ramamataz said:

WD 40 is a lubricant. Not sure why people don't get this.

It is and works quite well, but due to its low viscosity it doesn't stay where it should and doesn't provide good lubrication to parts which are forced against each other.