larger drive to smaller ssd

Dfedy

I have a 750 gb hdd in my laptop and want to clone it the the 240 gb ssd (sandisk ultra 2) no cloning software was included by I am trying to use macrium reflect and even though all of the drives partion's combined are smaller than the enire ssd it says that unable to copy insufficient space 

Personally a clean install would be much better ... and you can always use your old HHD as external drive. 

Magical Pineapples

You're Going to have to shrink the Partition using disk manager assuming the amount of data on the HDD is small enough to have the partition shunk that much. I can't remeber but I think I had to do one other thing using Marcuim when transferring from my laptops 1tb HDD to a 500GB SSD.

i7 4790K | MSI Z97S Krait | Gigabyte 980ti Gaming G1 SLI |  2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB + WD Black 4TB | EVGA Supernova P2 1200 | Phanteks Enthoo Primo (White)| Dell P2715Q x2 | Corsiar K70 | Corsair M95 | Full Custom Loop CPU + GPUs 

Try shrinking your partitions to match the size of your SSD, and leave the rest as Unallocated.

That's just a quick suggestion off of the top of my head, I've never used Macrium Reflect before. EaseUS Todo Backup Free's pretty good, I've never had an issue like this with it.

"Daddy's going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." -Linus Sebastian 2014 (src)

"I believe in French Fries. I believe in America. I believe in the Union." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

"I have pockets in all my shorts." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

1 minute ago, AbsoluteZero951 said:

You're Going to have to shrink the Partition using disk manager assuming the amount of data on the HDD is small enough to have the partition shunk that much. I can't remeber but I think I had to do one other thing using Marcuim when transferring from my laptops 1tb HDD to a 500GB SSD.

I tried to to that in disk manager but in sad only 300 mb was shrinkable (there is almost 600 gb free on that partion

2 minutes ago, Skyber21 said:

Try shrinking your partitions to match the size of your SSD, and leave the rest as Unallocated.

That's just a quick suggestion off of the top of my head, I've never used Macrium Reflect before. EaseUS Todo Backup Free's pretty good, I've never had an issue like this with it.

I tried to to that in disk manager but in sad only 300 mb was shrinkable (there is almost 600 gb free on that partion

1 minute ago, Dfedy said:

In my opinion, if you're having issues cloning your drive and you don't know what to do, it's not worth the trouble. Do a clean re-install and copy your files over after.

"Daddy's going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." -Linus Sebastian 2014 (src)

"I believe in French Fries. I believe in America. I believe in the Union." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

Just now, Skyber21 said:

In my opinion, if you're having issues cloning your drive and you don't know what to do, it's not worth the trouble. Do a clean re-install and copy your files over after.

How would I do a clean install on a laptop 

You might have some unmovable files that are on a certain portion of the partition and can prevent shrinking any more than that, but I think that usually happens with files being on the very end of the partition. 

i7 4790K | MSI Z97S Krait | Gigabyte 980ti Gaming G1 SLI |  2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB + WD Black 4TB | EVGA Supernova P2 1200 | Phanteks Enthoo Primo (White)| Dell P2715Q x2 | Corsiar K70 | Corsair M95 | Full Custom Loop CPU + GPUs 

Just now, AbsoluteZero951 said:

You might have some unmovable files that are on a certain portion of the partition and can prevent shrinking any more than that, but I think that usually happens with files being on the very end of the partition. 

So is there nothing I can do about it 

So is there nothing I can do about it 

The unmovable files are almost always the hibernation, backup, and/or pagefile. 

This outlines how you can temporarily get around the shrinking restrictions, but as one of the files that could be culprit is the backup make sure that you make a manual backup on an external storage device.

http://www.download3k.com/articles/How-to-shrink-a-disk-volume-beyond-the-point-where-any-unmovable-files-are-located-00432

3 minutes ago, AbsoluteZero951 said:

The unmovable files are almost always the hibernation, backup, and/or pagefile. 

This outlines how you can temporarily get around the shrinking restrictions, but as one of the files that could be culprit is the backup make sure that you make a manual backup on an external storage device.

http://www.download3k.com/articles/How-to-shrink-a-disk-volume-beyond-the-point-where-any-unmovable-files-are-located-00432

a backup of what

9 minutes ago, Dfedy said:

How would I do a clean install on a laptop 

Download the Windows 10 ISO off of Microsoft's website, copy the installation files to a flash drive using a tool like YUMI or Rufus, reboot from the flash drive, run the installer.

Just now, Skyber21 said:

Download the Windows 10 ISO off of Microsoft's website, copy the installation files to a flash drive using a tool like YUMI or Rufus, reboot from the flash drive, run the installer.

what about the product key since this is an oem laptop 

33 minutes ago, Dfedy said:

a backup of what

Your entire OS in case something goes wrong and you've gotten rid of the normal windows backup to restore from.

Just now, AbsoluteZero951 said:

Your entire OS in case something goes wrong and you've gotten rid of the normal windows backup to restore from.

i have a recovery usb drive 

Just now, Dfedy said:

i have a recovery usb drive 

That will work if you have all your other pertinent data saved externally as well as sometimes things can go very wrong where windows restoration media cant fix windows and can potentially lose stuff. This happened to one of my secondary systems where windows decided that it was going to blue screen and refused to be fixed, and something happened in the file system so bad that I couldn't even access the files from booting to a separate linex OS. Fortunately I had just recently cloned from an old HDD to a newer one in it so I had just made a entire OS image using Marcuim so I just restored it from a entire system image made with Macruim. If you don't really have anything you care about losing or is already elsewhere as well then don't worry about taking extreme precautionary measures, but it never hurts.

1 minute ago, AbsoluteZero951 said:

That will work if you have all your other pertinent data saved externally as well as sometimes things can go very wrong where windows restoration media cant fix windows and can potentially lose stuff. This happened to one of my secondary systems where windows decided that it was going to blue screen and refused to be fixed, and something happened in the file system so bad that I couldn't even access the files from booting to a separate linex OS. Fortunately I had just recently cloned from an old HDD to a newer one in it so I had just made a entire OS image using Marcuim so I just restored it from a entire system image made with Macruim. If you don't really have anything you care about losing or is already elsewhere as well then don't worry about taking extreme precautionary measures, but it never hurts.

yeah ok thanks