How To Designate Main Drive?

hey everyone! Thanks to everyone who's been helping me with my SSD issues today. I hope this is the last problem.

So I cloned my old SSD to my new one, because I got an upgrade. Seemed to work. When I go to BIOS and change the boot order, I put the new SSD first. For some reason, though, I still boots the old SSD up for my main drive! Can somebody please tell me why? I appreciate all the help I can get. thanks!

Motherboard/BIOS: Gigabyte Z97X-SOC FORCE Ultra-Durable

Black and green build, I call it "Murphy". - CPU: Intel i5 4690k at 3.5 GHz - GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force - RAM: 8GB 1866 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (gold) - PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2 - Storage: 240GB Corsair Force LE SSD & 1TB Western Digital Black HDD - Case: Corsair Carbide 300r - Lighting: 2 green Logisys LED sticks (currently removed)

There's this vital partition that Windows uses to boot, if this partition is not cloned over from the old drive to the new, the computer will still boot up your old drive, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Can you post a screenshot of your disk management window? I haven't done this cloning thing in a while.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

3 hours ago, mrjordann said:

~snip~

Hey there :)

As @exercutor5 pointed out, you may have missed out the boot partition from the old SSD. I'd try to boot the system without the old SSD plugged in and see if everything runs smoothly. 

How are you sure the system is booting from the old SSD? Could you post a screenshot from the Disk Management?

Did you extend the existing partition on the new SSD over the leftover unallocated portion? I'd recommend booting from the new SSD, connecting the old one externally and then wiping the boot and the OS partitions from it, making sure it's clean and safe to operate as a secondary drive.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

14 hours ago, exercutor5 said:

There's this vital partition that Windows uses to boot, if this partition is not cloned over from the old drive to the new, the computer will still boot up your old drive, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Can you post a screenshot of your disk management window? I haven't done this cloning thing in a while.

Sorry for the late reply, here's my Disk Management window. 

image.jpeg

Black and green build, I call it "Murphy". - CPU: Intel i5 4690k at 3.5 GHz - GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force - RAM: 8GB 1866 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (gold) - PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2 - Storage: 240GB Corsair Force LE SSD & 1TB Western Digital Black HDD - Case: Corsair Carbide 300r - Lighting: 2 green Logisys LED sticks (currently removed)

11 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey there :)

As @exercutor5 pointed out, you may have missed out the boot partition from the old SSD. I'd try to boot the system without the old SSD plugged in and see if everything runs smoothly. 

How are you sure the system is booting from the old SSD? Could you post a screenshot from the Disk Management?

Did you extend the existing partition on the new SSD over the leftover unallocated portion? I'd recommend booting from the new SSD, connecting the old one externally and then wiping the boot and the OS partitions from it, making sure it's clean and safe to operate as a secondary drive.

Captain_WD.

Yes, I extended the partition on the new SSD. I've included two pictures... The first one is my Disk Management window, and the second one is what happens when I boot it after taking the old SSD out. Obviously, if I take the old one out, it can't boot from it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

From your picture, it seems that your boot partition is still on your old SSD.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

24 minutes ago, exercutor5 said:

From your picture, it seems that your boot partition is still on your old SSD.

I do see what you're saying. How would I fix this?

2 hours ago, mrjordann said:

I do see what you're saying. How would I fix this?

Erm, what program did you use to clone your drive over again?

11 hours ago, mrjordann said:

~snip~

I would try plugging the new SSD in the port of the old one and remove all other storage devices from the system and see if the results is the same. you may need to repeat the cloning procedure and to make sure you include everything. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/