OSX El Capitan Rundown (Real Quick)

So being a massive Windows 10 user most of the time, in fact, I've been using Windows since 98 and haven't really dabbled in much else other than the odd linux distro like Ubuntu and Fedora etc. I've decided to have a play around with OS X, now, don't get me wrong, I know I've jumped into the Apple game a little late, the operating system is mature, well-organised and sits very well right out of the box, but I'm gonna go ahead and say how I feel about some of the bits I've been using the most.

1. Safari

To be honest, I was skeptical, I've been a massive Google Chrome user, like most of the population that wouldn't like to be stuck using IE, unless of course you're in mainland China, in which case you'll love it because they still use Windows XP. Safari seems to be a really fast, suitable replacement for third party browsers, it's much better than IE for an OS-based browser, and to be fair, it does a lot of the same things. For a start, I find the third-party extension support really useful, as I couldn't really live without stuff like ad-block plus (Don't worry Linus I contribute on Vessel) etc, all-in-all the browser experience was very similar to that of Chrome, really enjoyable and fluid.

2. iTunes

Now, in terms of a music service, they're all pretty similar now, so I'll just touch on my experience with iTunes as opposed to comparing it with the likes of Spotify and Google Play Music. The music experience is very nice, I activated the 3-Month free trial of Apple Music and I haven't yet been disappointed, the performance of the player is very smooth, no clipping and even in headphones, it was nice. Finding pre-made playlists was intuitive, the radio service was fast and contained the kind of songs I enjoy right off the back.

3. Launchpad/Spotlight

Seems to be the way ninjas navigate through their OS, along with Mission Control, switching between open windows was amazing, it actually made me want to do it more, even simple things like flicking between iTunes and Safari was more satisfying than the standard switching that you can find in Windows which really doesn't add any kind of excitement to the experience whatsoever like it did in Vista/7. Accessing all apps really quickly was amazing, having the board there with all of my apps just sitting there and waiting for me was fantastic, I really love the interface.

To Conclude, OS preference is subjective, before anyone asks, I did install Steam, and although the compatibility of my library did surprise me at first, it wasn't the same as being on Windows, so I'll have to play all of my games on my laptop of course, really though, these are small problems in a massive world of opportunity and possibility. The OS is fluid, stable and contributes to my productivity to the point where I actually want to do my study instead of procrastinate on Facebook all the time. Overall I really like OS X since trying it, I never thought I'd like anything but Windows but I've seen the other side and to be honest, not a single issue :)

If you like this post, please drop a thumbs-up, agree and follow it to keep updated :) 

Jordan Bell

Forensic Cybersecurity Analyst (6YR Experience)

GSN Global (GSN UK)

--------------------------------

Any advice given is purely independent of GSN Global and its affiliates, we can't be held accountable for actions you may take on your software/hardware under our advisement. Please visit GSN UK online for more information about SLA-based services we provide.

Now you've seen the light.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I sort of like OS X, I haven't really used it since OS X 10.8 but still from what I can tell OS X is still a nice looking and functioning OS. Not sure I can quite justify the price tag for what you're getting. Perhaps if Apple has a better MacBook Pro by the end of this year I might return partially to Apple but if that's not the case I'll probably go for an XPS 15. I want something that I can play World of Warcraft at whatever the native resolution of the screen is at good to high settings.

I don't think the Iris Pro iGPUs or R9 M370X would be able to do that. Though a GTX 960m 2GB should be able to play World of Warcraft at native (1080p) resolution at good to high settings.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

5 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I sort of like OS X, I haven't really used it since OS X 10.8 but still from what I can tell OS X is still a nice looking and functioning OS. Not sure I can quite justify the price tag for what you're getting. Perhaps if Apple has a better MacBook Pro by the end of this year I might return partially to Apple but if that's not the case I'll probably go for an XPS 15. I want something that I can play World of Warcraft at whatever the native resolution of the screen is at good to high settings.

I don't think the Iris Pro iGPUs or R9 M370X would be able to do that. Though a GTX 960m 2GB should be able to play World of Warcraft at native (1080p) resolution at good to high settings.

Hi wcreek,

My personal twist to all of this is that I dual-boot El Capitan (10.11.4 Currently) with Windows 10 on my desktop PC. I have been discovering and experiencing different operating systems for some time, and I would only recommend Windows for compatibility of applications and such, but Mac OSX for video, photo editing and writing posts on this forum as the auto-correction and spell-checking in Safari is phenomenal. :) 

Jordan Bell

GSN Global (GSN UK)

Any advice given is purely independent of GSN Global and its affiliates, we can't be held accountable for actions you may take on your software/hardware under our advisement. Please visit GSN UK online for more information about SLA-based services we provide.

4 minutes ago, mikat said:

i've heard some not so good stuff about El Capitan regarding "rootless", basically a layer between you and the root, so extra security or something? well i'd rather not deal with that so Yosemite it is :)

Hi mikat,

I can't say I've experienced (in my personal use) the need for root, but should the time arise where I delve a little deeper into the OS, I shall update my thoughts in another post :) 

Jordan Bell

GSN Global (GSN UK)

14 minutes ago, DrBell17 said:

Hi mikat,

I can't say I've experienced (in my personal use) the need for root, but should the time arise where I delve a little deeper into the OS, I shall update my thoughts in another post :) 

root is handy for not having to do "sudo" every time haha :)

and i only use it via ssh :)

i could not find an easy guide how to do root on your local machine so i use "ssh root@localhost" :D

1 minute ago, mikat said:

root is handy for not having to do "sudo" every time haha :)

and i only use it via ssh :)

I save my root-based stuff for Kali and Ubuntu xD, have only been using OS X for casual browsing, blogging, media etc. Nothing else really. :) 

Jordan Bell

GSN Global (GSN UK)

16 minutes ago, DrBell17 said:

Hi wcreek,

My personal twist to all of this is that I dual-boot El Capitan (10.11.4 Currently) with Windows 10 on my desktop PC. I have been discovering and experiencing different operating systems for some time, and I would only recommend Windows for compatibility of applications and such, but Mac OSX for video, photo editing and writing posts on this forum as the auto-correction and spell-checking in Safari is phenomenal. :) 

Yeah I'm not sure if I want to deal with the hassle of a hackintosh and possibly looking for workarounds that might brick hardware or not be supported by TonyMacx86.

But Blizzard is pretty cool and doesn't lock WoW down to just Windows, it'd be really cool if they'd eventually support Linux.

Regardless, Yeah OS X is a nice OS it has been for quite a while honestly.

(Post Snow Leopard especially)

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Just now, DrBell17 said:

I save my root-based stuff for Kali and Ubuntu xD, have only been using OS X for casual browsing, blogging, media etc. Nothing else really. :) 

btw, when i installed ubuntu on a dual xeon quad core server with 48 GBs of ram the mouse mouse was really lagging, is this ubuntu's fault? (the hardware was certainly up to snuff)

Just now, mikat said:

btw, when i installed ubuntu on a dual xeon quad core server with 48 GBs of ram the mouse mouse was really lagging, is this ubuntu's fault? (the hardware was certainly up to snuff)

To be fair, I wouldn't blame Ubuntu, although I've had laggy mouse problems on laptops, especially with LTS versions of Ubuntu. If you're setting up servers and stuff, maybe try Fedora instead, seems a little more polished to be fair :D 

Jordan Bell

GSN Global (GSN UK)

5 hours ago, DrBell17 said:

To be fair, I wouldn't blame Ubuntu, although I've had laggy mouse problems on laptops, especially with LTS versions of Ubuntu. If you're setting up servers and stuff, maybe try Fedora instead, seems a little more polished to be fair :D 

i have VMware ESXi 6.0 now :)