Different WiFi speeds on different devices?

I am an SSD

I had posted an issue yesterday which basically was about how my laptop got a down speed of only 0.8 mbps when I was supposed to be getting 10. 

i checked with my ISP everything is fine.

My phone and other computer gets 10 no problem, but it is consistently this device which gets really low speeds. 

Can a faulty router cause this issue?

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

It could just be a connection with the Wireless Network adapter in the laptop. I'm having the same issue an if I get a certain distance away from my router i won't even have a connection but everything else gets connection throughout my entire property. 

Some Wireless Network Cards they put in laptops aren't of the greatest quality unfortunately. But I really don't think it's the router. Hardwire the laptop to your router and see if you still get the same speeds or if speeds are normal. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

Bad network card in the device most likley. Or a damaged cable if it is wired to the router.

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Just now, Ophidio said:

It could just be a connection with the Wireless Network adapter in the laptop. I'm having the same issue an if I get a certain distance away from my router i won't even have a connection but everything else gets connection throughout my entire property. 

Some Wireless Network Cards they put in laptops aren't of the greatest quality unfortunately. But I really don't think it's the router. Hardwire the laptop to your router and see if you still get the same speeds or if speeds are normal. 

The problem is, when I connect the cable to the laptop, the internet connection is not detected. Tried this with my other system and the same result. So now  im stumped. You sure its not the router? Maybe some issue like allocating a lot of bandwidth to one device and little to another? However if it ever was true, it manages to pick on only my laptop all the time....

Spoiler

It could very well be your router then. Check through all of the in router settings and see if theres something not messed up in there, as for the wireless side it could be your laptop is looking for a different type of signal compared to your other devices such as mobile could be using a Wireless N connection while your laptop could be using a Wireless AC and your router just isn't liking that. But your router could also be playing favorite to your devices so you should see if you can control how much bandwidth is being allowed to each devices from the in router settings. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

Just now, Ophidio said:

It could very well be your router then. Check through all of the in router settings and see if theres something not messed up in there, as for the wireless side it could be your laptop is looking for a different type of signal compared to your other devices such as mobile could be using a Wireless N connection while your laptop could be using a Wireless AC and your router just isn't liking that. But your router could also be playing favorite to your devices so you should see if you can control how much bandwidth is being allowed to each devices from the in router settings. 

Alright then thanks. You wouldnt know anything about troubleshooting a router by any chance do you? Because I have no idea. If you dont thats fine, ill Google it I guess

Spoiler

I know a little but not much at all. My only problem is I suck at explaining things through words I'm more a visual person. :/ I know to get into router settings you usually have to use a series of numbers that start with 192.168.x.xxx i don't know what the last numbers could be. 

What is the signal strength on the laptop?

This is basically to test if a u.fl connector did not become loose over time.

Another thing to test (probably use a different PC to make it, is to run a ubuntu live USB. http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

This is a fast and simple way to rule out any software issues.

It is uncommon for the router to be the issue when other devices are performing quickly, unless you have a weird mix of devices and a router that lacks "airtime fairness" functionality. For example, a mixture of 802.11n smartphones and PCs along with a laptop running an 802.11g WiFi adapter.

PS, also make sure that you are not too close to the router (some WiFi adapters will experience receiver overload within 2-3 feet of a router with a high transmit power).

6 hours ago, Razor512 said:

What is the signal strength on the laptop?

This is basically to test if a u.fl connector did not become loose over time.

Another thing to test (probably use a different PC to make it, is to run a ubuntu live USB. http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

This is a fast and simple way to rule out any software issues.

It is uncommon for the router to be the issue when other devices are performing quickly, unless you have a weird mix of devices and a router that lacks "airtime fairness" functionality. For example, a mixture of 802.11n smartphones and PCs along with a laptop running an 802.11g WiFi adapter.

PS, also make sure that you are not too close to the router (some WiFi adapters will experience receiver overload within 2-3 feet of a router with a high transmit power).

Thanks for the Ubuntu tip....didnt even think about it 

Spoiler