Stock Backplate with Waterblock?

Is there a safe way to use the stock backplate of my GPU with an after-market waterblock? I see no reason why just using multiple small pieces of double-sided tape wouldn't work, but I really have no idea to be honest. I'd really rather not spend another $60 for two backplates if I can safely use the stock ones'.

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127889

Block: http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-fc980-gtx-ti-tf5-acetal-nickel.html

7 minutes ago, Awakening said:

Is there a safe way to use the stock backplate of my GPU with an after-market waterblock? I see no reason why just using multiple small pieces of double-sided tape wouldn't work, but I really have no idea to be honest. I'd really rather not spend another $60 for two backplates if I can safely use the stock ones'.

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127889

Block: http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-fc980-gtx-ti-tf5-acetal-nickel.html

It's possible sometimes as long as the backplate doesn't interfere with anything but you will require longer screws since they will then require to go through the backplate, PCB, and bolt into the waterblock.

-Moved to Liquid and Exotic Cooling-

Just now, W-L said:

It's possible sometimes as long as the backplate doens't interfere with anything but you will require longer screws since they will then require to go through the backplate, PCB, and bolt into the waterblock.

Any chance you could either confirm that long screws would work in this case and if so exactly what type of screw I'll need?

it really depends how its connected. if the block installs with screws through the back. you could probably still use a few screws just for the backplate.

if all else fails, like you said, you can jsut tape it to the back. but i'd use some of that foam style tape and some thermal pads in between to make sure you don't short it out. ;)

1 minute ago, Awakening said:

Any chance you could either confirm that long screws would work in this case and if so exactly what type of screw I'll need?

The block comes with mounting screws I would go to a dedicated fasteners and supply location like Fastenal or order some on Mcmaster carr, I believe EKWB uses all M3 screws for their mounting but best to double check the thread.

5 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

it really depends how its connected. if the block installs with screws through the back. you could probably still use a few screws just for the backplate.

if all else fails, like you said, you can jsut tape it to the back. but i'd use some of that foam style tape and some thermal pads in between to make sure you don't short it out. ;)

How could a short possibly happen? The glue on the tape melting and leaking is the only thing I can think of, but with how little glue there is on tape I'd be hugely surprised to see that happen.

I also have no idea what the screw orientation is for installing it. I don't actually own the waterblock or GPU yet.

2 minutes ago, Awakening said:

How could a short possibly happen? The glue on the tape melting and leaking is the only thing I can think of, but with how little glue there is on tape I'd be hugely surprised to see that happen.

the metal from the backplate and the electricity going through the circuitry on the back. just make sure its not directly touching and you'll be fine. the tape won't do anything to short it itself.

1 minute ago, Awakening said:

I also have no idea what the screw orientation is for installing it.

Well the thing is using tape is the waterblock still bolts into place and the heads of those bolts will hit the mounting point or spacers on that kind of backplate. The backplate itself as long as it doesn't interfere with the installation of the block would be very unlikely to short something.

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Well the thing is using tape is the waterblock still bolts into place and the heads of those bolts will hit the mounting point or spacers on that kind of backplate. The backplate itself as long as it doesn't interfere with the installation of the block would be very unlikely to short something.

4 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

the metal from the backplate and the electricity going through the circuitry on the back. just make sure its not directly touching and you'll be fine. the tape won't do anything to short it itself.

So basically just see what happens and order a backplate if I need to? Use foam tape to give extra height clearance from the PCB?

That rear PCB doesn't really look like it has too many open spots for putting tape though..

05e44baf_back.jpeg

Also the front if that matters..

f1c9b382_front.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Awakening said:

-SNIP-

When your purchase a dedicated backplate like the ones from EKWB they provide a longer set of bolts to bolt in place through the backplate, the holes in the PCB and into the waterblock, sometimes they will require plastic washers while other times they don't need anything since they machine in the required spacers and needed clearances already into the backplate. 

11 minutes ago, Awakening said:

So basically just see what happens and order a backplate if I need to? Use foam tape to give extra height clearance from the PCB?

That rear PCB doesn't really look like it has too many open spots for putting tape though..

It doesn't matter where you put the tape persay.. though if you put it over a hot spot it will insulate.. thats why i also suggested a few thermal pads that will transfer the heat from the back of the GPU and RAM chips and stuff, to the backplate instead of making them hotter with regular foam tape. 

if you look on the left side of the first picture, you see a vertical row of shiny metal and some darker black on the left side of that, thats your power delivery, that gets hot. (you can see the round parts on the front of the card for more reference)  also towards the right side you see the back of the GPU, that gets really hot. and the ram chips surrounding the GPU get sorta hot. slap some thermal pads there and put the tape wherever else it'll fit. the front of the card won't matter. your waterblock or backplate might even come with some spare thermal pads too. but you may still be able to just use thermal pads and screw in that backplate

Jayz2cents talked about this on one of his videos once, about ek blocks being proprietary to  using their  backplates as their  screw stops  are designed with only their hardware in mind. so with their  backplate  you  cant  damage your card from tightening  the screws too much, 

Also if you decide to run  the  block without a backplate  presents a risk of damage due to leaks can happen and the back of the cards pcb is fully exposed. 

1 minute ago, Toxicknight79 said:

Jayz2cents talked about this on one of his videos once, about ek blocks being proprietary to  using their  backplates as their  screw stops  are designed with only their hardware in mind. so with their  backplate  you  cant  damage your card from tightening  the screws too much, 

Also if you decide to run  the  block without a backplate  presents a risk of damage due to leaks can happen and the back of the cards pcb is fully exposed. 

There isn't a risk running without a backplate they design the blocks and hardware to accommodate with just a bare PCB and is not going to increase the likelihood of a leak or damage the component. 

Just now, W-L said:

There isn't a risk running without a backplate they design the blocks and hardware to accommodate with just a bare PCB and is not going to increase the likelihood of a leak or damage the component. 

I didn't mean it would cause the leak,,,  i should have been more clear, i meant to say that it can expose the card if a leak should happen. Apologies for the confusion.

8 minutes ago, Toxicknight79 said:

I didn't mean it would cause the leak,,,  i should have been more clear, i meant to say that it can expose the card if a leak should happen. Apologies for the confusion.

Yep. That's why I want a backplate because it will take some drops before anything important is ever wet on the card. Since this will be my first water-cooling build, that extra protection will be nice.

18 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

It doesn't matter where you put the tape persay.. though if you put it over a hot spot it will insulate.. thats why i also suggested a few thermal pads that will transfer the heat from the back of the GPU and RAM chips and stuff, to the backplate instead of making them hotter with regular foam tape. 

if you look on the left side of the first picture, you see a vertical row of shiny metal and some darker black on the left side of that, thats your power delivery, that gets hot. (you can see the round parts on the front of the card for more reference)  also towards the right side you see the back of the GPU, that gets really hot. and the ram chips surrounding the GPU get sorta hot. slap some thermal pads there and put the tape wherever else it'll fit. the front of the card won't matter. your waterblock or backplate might even come with some spare thermal pads too. but you may still be able to just use thermal pads and screw in that backplate

It doesn't matter if tape or heat pads touch the black lines or solder (at least that's what I think it is, the shiny silver bits) on the back of the PCB? They can be placed right over them?

@Awakeningwell  I mean Im only knowing from  hearing this and not personal experience but From what I have heard EKWB waterblocks  only work with EKWB backplates. 

12 minutes ago, Awakening said:

It doesn't matter if tape or heat pads touch the black lines or solder (at least that's what I think it is, the shiny silver bits) on the back of the PCB? They can be placed right over them?

yeah any normal tape or adhesive isn't conductive so you'll be perfectly fine. and thermal pads are designed for it so they're okay. :) really metal or water is all you have to worry about. 

also, when you first fill your system and stuff put paper towels (a few layers just in case) on top of everything so just in case a leak does happen you can see exactly where it is and you won't loose anything in the process. leave them there for a few weeks as everything settles in and your system bleeds.

7 hours ago, Beeeyeee said:

yeah any normal tape or adhesive isn't conductive so you'll be perfectly fine. and thermal pads are designed for it so they're okay. :) really metal or water is all you have to worry about. 

also, when you first fill your system and stuff put paper towels (a few layers just in case) on top of everything so just in case a leak does happen you can see exactly where it is and you won't loose anything in the process. leave them there for a few weeks as everything settles in and your system bleeds.

Awesome. I'm going to jump just the pump though for 48 hours so even if a leak does happen, nothing will be able to short because nothing will be powered. It's gonna suck waiting that long to use my PC but I'll get over it.

6 hours ago, Awakening said:

Awesome. I'm going to jump just the pump though for 48 hours so even if a leak does happen, nothing will be able to short because nothing will be powered. It's gonna suck waiting that long to use my PC but I'll get over it.

yeah i know waiting that long won't be fun

19 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

yeah i know waiting that long won't be fun

Still a hell of a lot more fun than frying a component.