Banished Is A City Builder That's All About Choices

Ethnod

I really like the concept, in one of the vids he is talking about fruit taking years to start to produce and even then only limited until the trees mature. Looks like a really interesting game. Any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xKbwGxUb18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xKbwGxUb18[/Media]

Game Website

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/

Game Forum

http://www.banishedforum.com

Source:

http://kotaku.com/banished-is-a-city-builder-thats-all-about-choices-1256118309

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I like it. It is a very interesting concept indeed. 

I was playing Civ V early this week and I felt like everything instantly happened. Sure, in the game it took "years", but at the same time, it felt like I could react to any crisis the moment it happened. 

However, this game seems a lot more interesting. Specifically because it seems "more hardcore", for lack of a better term. Harder, challenging, but also interesting in the possibilities.

Yay for hardcore.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I was playing Civ V early this week and I felt like everything instantly happened. Sure, in the game it took "years", but at the same time, it felt like I could react to any crisis the moment it happened.

You can make it slower if you need/want it to be.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I like it. It is a very interesting concept indeed. 

However, this game seems a lot more interesting. Specifically because it seems "more hardcore", for lack of a better term. Harder, challenging, but also interesting in the possibilities.

Yay for hardcore.

Yeah,civ5 for me even on Marathon i feel like everything is going to fast

You can make it slower if you need/want it to be.

Yeah,civ5 for me even on Marathon i feel like everything is going to fast

That does not change anything imo.

Changing it to marathon changes the rate at which the crisis plays out just the same because it applies to everyone playing (Both AI and Player). In times of war, it is true that it takes longer to make soldiers to defend with, but at the same time, it takes the enemy just as long to produce those soldiers (ignoring culture differences and such, like how some societies produce them faster and the like). It is situational in that case, but still pretty much the same thing. 

Basically, in Civ V, you pretty much know the outcome of something the moment you make it happen. Even on Marathon mode. Unless someone beats you to it (like making one of the Great Wonders). 

In that game, it looks like you would have to prepare for a crisis to be able to handle it. Rather than it suddenly happening, then you taking actions to stop it and it immediately being stopped. 

Obviously, in Civ V, each turn is years, so it makes sense that you can react as fast as you do (because technically you are reacting over years), but the crises themselves take place over years, and not a shorter time frame like they usually would. 

... I dunno. I am being weird about it. Just something I do not like about Civ V. Still a great game. 

Edit: To better explain it...

If I slow things down, my reaction time and crisis duration time are equally affected. If I speed things up, the same is true. So in my eyes, it changes nothing. Because both the crisis' duration and my reaction time are tied to the thing I am changing, the speed of the game.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

there is a time clock which you can speed up or slow down, a lot of games have this (SimCity and Sims being 2 obvious examples) so speeding through time does not seem to be a problem. 

No where this game will come into its own is in things like population, there will be events like a Fire or a Mine collapse (or something like that) where you might have 20-30 deaths and it might decrease your population by 5% but your workforce by 20% and then you have to move things around and prioritise things to ensure food is collected and so on so your village does not die.

Also, (although I not sure yet but) you might have to wait 20-30 years for that population decrease to be corrected for as you may have to wait for babies to be made :D

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

there is a time clock which you can speed up or slow down, a lot of games have this (SimCity and Sims being 2 obvious examples) so speeding through time does not seem to be a problem. 

No where this game will come into its own is in things like population, there will be events like a Fire or a Mine collapse (or something like that) where you might have 20-30 deaths and it might decrease your population by 5% but your workforce by 20% and then you have to move things around and prioritise things to ensure food is collected and so on so your village does not die.

Also, (although I not sure yet but) you might have to wait 20-30 years for that population decrease to be corrected for as you may have to wait for babies to be made :D

+1

I'm sure that the OP wasn't about Civ V  ;). Anyways, I've been following the updates for a while, they're very in-depth. Looking to be shaping up to be a good game imo.

I was just reading the latest blog from the dev and thought I'd share it. Its about how his death mechanic works and how cemeteries come into that. Really very cool idea. Liking this game more and more tbh

Source:

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/?p=1474