Which wireless card will I need?

RuaidhriB

Soon my area will be getting fibre internet through our provider.

I will need a wireless card as i am moving rooms and will not have access to a lan cable. What are some recommendations on wireless cards that i will need to get the maximum out of gaming on my new fibre internet?

How fast fiber? 100/100? 1000/1000? 250/100?

Probably the Asus PCE-AC56 would fit your needs. (Assuming you have fast enough router.)

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

1 minute ago, Samppa221 said:

How fast fiber? 100/100? 1000/1000? 250/100?

1gb per second

Just now, RuaidhriB said:

1gb per second

Use a longer ethernet cable. Wifi will never be able to reliably get you the full bandwidth.

Also your router can it actually handle that data rate?

2 minutes ago, RuaidhriB said:

1gb per second

How about powerline adapters?

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

Just now, Roawoao said:

Use a longer ethernet cable. Wifi will never be able to reliably get you the full bandwidth.

Also your router can it actually handle that data rate?

Im really not sure but still im not sure which wireless card i will need.

using a longer ethernet card is unfortunately not a possibility, i have to go wireless

1 minute ago, Samppa221 said:

what are they?

Just now, RuaidhriB said:

what are they?

They are these "bricks" what you have in your wall socket on the router end and the pc end and it uses your house's powerlines as internet lines.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Samppa221 said:

Never going to work at 1 gbps. Also these generate tons of interference which I don't really know why they can even get approvals. Things like surge protectors will filter out all their signals and power cables are not meant to carry high bandwidth data.

Just now, Roawoao said:

Never going to work at 1 gbps.

Who cares they will have better pings if the house doesn't have shit wiring. 

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Samppa221 said:

Debatable powerline can also be unreliable as wifi due to electrical interference on the power cable which can also be a very noisy environment and was never meant to carry high bandwidth data.

Getting two super high end AC routers with wave 2 support and making a bridge between the two is his best bet to get maximum speeds.

2 minutes ago, Roawoao said:

Debatable powerline can also be unreliable as wifi due to electrical interference on the power cable which can also be a very noisy environment and was never meant to carry high bandwidth data.

Getting two super high end AC routers with wave 2 support and making a bridge between the two is his best bet to get maximum speeds.

5 minutes ago, Samppa221 said:

well what are some wireless cards that would work well? Im am looking at this one and wondering if will be good

http://www.wiseguys.co.nz/tp-link-archer-archer-t9e-ieee-802-11ac-wi-fi-adapter-for-desktop-computer-295549

18 minutes ago, RuaidhriB said:

well what are some wireless cards that would work well? Im am looking at this one and wondering if will be good

http://www.wiseguys.co.nz/tp-link-archer-archer-t9e-ieee-802-11ac-wi-fi-adapter-for-desktop-computer-295549

Placement wise the other reason to use a bridge is that you can place it away from your metal tower and in a more ideal position to get the best possible signal. If you get external antennas or it comes with one then that would work too. 

With the right bridge you should be able to form a ~800mbps symmetric link, 

http://www.kitguru.net/networking/routers/zardon/asus-rt-ac87u-4x4-bridge-mode-review/5/

Lots of different AC routers should support bridge mode. Obstructions will cause speed loss. 

Seriously though if I had 1gbps in my house I would install hard wires retrofit as they are much better than every other solution. I even retrofitted in CAT6 for 50mbps just for the increased internal speed also it allows for great flexibility in wifi AP placement. For the cost of all that high end wireless AC hardware you can probably crappy retrofit wires into a second floor area (via the attic) for far cheaper.

Most routers will have a hard time dealing with 1gbps loads though.

15 hours ago, Samppa221 said:

You could look in to Moca. It uses the Coax in your house, assuming you have Coax at both end. They rate Moca 2.0 up to like 800 Mbps, however its like wireless so you get more like 400 Mbps. However from what I read its pretty stable. On top of that. Coax is certified to carry data, as every cable company already use them. Likey for you only one company makes Moca 2.0 adapters, which is action tech. They dont play well if your coax is being used by satellite TV. You may more may not have to buy a filter to put on you coax line coming in, this is dependent on if you use your Coax for cable TV. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

22 hours ago, Roawoao said:

Placement wise the other reason to use a bridge is that you can place it away from your metal tower and in a more ideal position to get the best possible signal. If you get external antennas or it comes with one then that would work too. 

With the right bridge you should be able to form a ~800mbps symmetric link, 

http://www.kitguru.net/networking/routers/zardon/asus-rt-ac87u-4x4-bridge-mode-review/5/

Lots of different AC routers should support bridge mode. Obstructions will cause speed loss. 

Seriously though if I had 1gbps in my house I would install hard wires retrofit as they are much better than every other solution. I even retrofitted in CAT6 for 50mbps just for the increased internal speed also it allows for great flexibility in wifi AP placement. For the cost of all that high end wireless AC hardware you can probably crappy retrofit wires into a second floor area (via the attic) for far cheaper.

Most routers will have a hard time dealing with 1gbps loads though.

what will i need bridge mode for? how do i know if my router is dual bridge?

1 hour ago, RuaidhriB said:

what will i need bridge mode for? how do i know if my router is dual bridge?

A router must support bridge mode is all that is needed checking their manual will tell you if they support this feature. Typically you want the routers to be of the same performance as each other (a pair) or at least similar specifications. One router acts as the main router/AP while the remote end of the bridge when set to bridge mode will instead be a WiFi client and allow wired devices to run on its wifi connection to the main router.

Asus example,

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/114552

Linksys,

http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=143751

Netgear,

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24105/~/what-is-bridge-mode-and-how-do-i-set-it-up-on-my-nighthawk-router%3F

For different routers there will be different instructions. Generally you cannot connect both routers to the same network initially as they would have the same IP address and have things like the DHCP server running and this will cause problems. So never connect two consumer routers onto the same LAN segment without first configuring one as a bridge mode device (wifi client) the other mode would be AP mode which is still the same as the default just disables all the router functions if you say had a pfsense computer running your firewall/routing/DHCP.

So all you have to do is setup your main router as you would always do or if it is already setup then leave that be. Then connect by wire or wireless to the router you want to configure as a bridge and tell it to switch to bridge mode this should disable the NAT, DHCP, ... many services and turn it into a WiFi to Ethernet bridge device. You may need to use a discovery tool or scan for its ip address after you switch to bridge mode. Some may also support repeating on another SSID or even the same one but this can increase interference so you should not allow the bridge remote end router to rebroadcast or take wifi clients of its own if your concerned about maximum speed.

Note that consumer routers can be buggy and flaky especially in comparison to simple gigabit Ethernet connection which is the ideal so odd things may happen. Even built in Wifi adapters have problems with bugs especially compared to ultra simple wired Ethernet adapters.

20 hours ago, Roawoao said:

A router must support bridge mode is all that is needed checking their manual will tell you if they support this feature. Typically you want the routers to be of the same performance as each other (a pair) or at least similar specifications. One router acts as the main router/AP while the remote end of the bridge when set to bridge mode will instead be a WiFi client and allow wired devices to run on its wifi connection to the main router.

Asus example,

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/114552

Linksys,

http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=143751

Netgear,

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24105/~/what-is-bridge-mode-and-how-do-i-set-it-up-on-my-nighthawk-router%3F

For different routers there will be different instructions. Generally you cannot connect both routers to the same network initially as they would have the same IP address and have things like the DHCP server running and this will cause problems. So never connect two consumer routers onto the same LAN segment without first configuring one as a bridge mode device (wifi client) the other mode would be AP mode which is still the same as the default just disables all the router functions if you say had a pfsense computer running your firewall/routing/DHCP.

So all you have to do is setup your main router as you would always do or if it is already setup then leave that be. Then connect by wire or wireless to the router you want to configure as a bridge and tell it to switch to bridge mode this should disable the NAT, DHCP, ... many services and turn it into a WiFi to Ethernet bridge device. You may need to use a discovery tool or scan for its ip address after you switch to bridge mode. Some may also support repeating on another SSID or even the same one but this can increase interference so you should not allow the bridge remote end router to rebroadcast or take wifi clients of its own if your concerned about maximum speed.

Note that consumer routers can be buggy and flaky especially in comparison to simple gigabit Ethernet connection which is the ideal so odd things may happen. Even built in Wifi adapters have problems with bugs especially compared to ultra simple wired Ethernet adapters.

so i need bridge mode if i want to use this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/other-pci-cards/auction-1058055801.htm in my pc?

6 hours ago, RuaidhriB said:

so i need bridge mode if i want to use this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/other-pci-cards/auction-1058055801.htm in my pc?

No. Bridge mode is needed if your going Router to router. That card will work fine. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

22 hours ago, Donut417 said:

No. Bridge mode is needed if your going Router to router. That card will work fine. 

okay thanks alot