First PC Build - Suggestions & Opinions Needed!

Medusa
2 minutes ago, Medusa said:

I'm going to going for a green and black theme to match the Razer color way so I think its going to look awesome. Plus with some extra LED lighting its gonna be amazing! 

Verrrrry sexy ;)

Just now, Medusa said:

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll look into the GPS's for sure. As for the NZXT, I'll definitely considering switching out the fans.

I'll be sure to post pictures on the entire process

I have a very similar build to this funny enough, I'm just gaming with my 390 until the next gen GPU's drop. Going to upgrade to either 2k or 4k at the same time as when i get a new GPU. Take a look at the new Phanteks cases, as well as some of the Fractal cases, they have some very clean looking ones you might be interested in

1 minute ago, The_KIASER said:

I have a very similar build to this funny enough, I'm just gaming with my 390 until the next gen GPU's drop. Going to upgrade to either 2k or 4k at the same time as when i get a new GPU. Take a look at the new Phanteks cases, as well as some of the Fractal cases, they have some very clean looking ones you might be interested in

Definitely agree with you on the Phantek cases. I do enjoy a nice simple sleek case. 

Green and black would look sick... Haven't personally seen too many builds with that color scheme

Green and black would look sick... Haven't personally seen too many builds with that color scheme

Agreed. I originally thought about purchasing a Razer Blade but I figured I might as well invest in a good desktop. I saw the case and I immediately thought about doing a Razer theme build. 

1 minute ago, Medusa said:

Definitely agree with you on the Phantek cases. I do enjoy a nice simple sleek case. 

Yea the Eclipses P400S from Phanteks totally caught my eye, very clean, "S" series has sound dampening and still windowed, like the simple LED glow on the bottom front for the company name. Might do a custom water cooling build in one after I get the next gen GPU and they release a cooling block for it.

Just now, The_KIASER said:

Yea the Eclipses P400S from Phanteks totally caught my eye, very clean, "S" series has sound dampening and still windowed, like the simple LED glow on the bottom front for the company name. Might do a custom water cooling build in one after I get the next gen GPU and they release a cooling block for it.

Are you waiting for the Nvidia Pascal cards? 

I like Razer but unless it's their product your buying (thier desktop PC for example), I dont think id use a case like the Razer edition NZXT s340. Makes me feel like your giving credit of the build, to a company that had nothing to do with it. I'd rather just get my own style case and paint what I wanted green and run some green LED's. You built it, It's a personal project with your personal touches.

4 minutes ago, Medusa said:

Are you waiting for the Nvidia Pascal cards? 

Either company's card, I hope they come out with cards that are on totally equal playing field, so that it starts an all out war for 1st place. That kind of competition makes a better product for all of us as consumers. I use to be a bit of an Nvidia fan boy but my 390 is an excellent card and has changed my view of AMD, hope their new Zen CPU kicks ass, just to see how Intel responds.

1 hour ago, Heuron said:

I also fit in 32 gb of ram.

I have a question about your motherboard... Is it a good motherboard for my set up? 

Yea, it would work for your setup, but the one you have is wicked too. I got mine because it has Wi-Fi built in, and the house I'm in is not wired room to room with Ethernet cable. I was stuck on WiFi, until I quit going full retard and started using a powerline connector. Which bumped up my speeds by 5mb/sec, but more importantly dropped my ping's on my games (almost as good as a direct connection).

I'm running 16gb of RAM, and honestly the highest use of it I've seen to date is 5gb. At the time of my build i thought I'd need that much, but I'm now seeing that unless your doing video editing (which eats up RAM as far as I know), your just not going to need any more than 8gb realistically for gaming. I did want dual channel though so that's part of the reason why i went with the 16gb (2x 8gb).

I'm at work at the mo, when I get home I'll look over your setup more, but that should be a great mobo.

Yea, it would work for your setup, but the one you have is wicked too. I got mine because it has Wi-Fi built in, and the house I'm in is not wired room to room with Ethernet cable. I was stuck on WiFi, until I quit going full retard and started using a powerline connector. Which bumped up my speeds by 5mb/sec, but more importantly dropped my ping's on my games (almost as good as a direct connection).

I'm running 16gb of RAM, and honestly the highest use of it I've seen to date is 5gb. At the time of my build i thought I'd need that much, but I'm now seeing that unless your doing video editing (which eats up RAM as far as I know), your just not going to need any more than 8gb realistically for gaming. I did want dual channel though so that's part of the reason why i went with the 16gb (2x 8gb).

I'm at work at the mo, when I get home I'll look over your setup more, but that should be a great mobo.

I would greatly appreciate that. The only downside I can see so far about it is the color scheme (white) but I can work with it. 

Here's a list for 3K:

[eds] - added link, also there's room to switch some stuff around in this list depending on what you want to use the system for[/eds]

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/txHTdC
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/txHTdC/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($556.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE/U3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($389.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($181.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($154.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB HYBRID Video Card  ($1149.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer™ ATX Mid Tower Case  ($168.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Air Series SP120 LED Green High Static Pressure 120mm Fan Twin Pack  ($20.99)
Total: $3008.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-23 21:59 EDT-0400

Based on you wanting rendering capacity as well as (presumably) longevity

Haswell-e over skylake b/c more cores plus dx12+vulcan

5930 b/c it's plenty good, you can always swap in a 5960 later if wou want moar

Titan over 980ti's in sli b/c rendering + re-sale value (esp for water cooled) + price to performance (980ti's wont necesarilly outperform a titan in a meaningful way, cost less, sli is buggy a/f too often), also new gen gpu's probably wont destroy a titan but gen after w/HBM2 is probably the best upgrade path if your buying now.

Corsair over kraken b/c supergood rep, warranty and 280 rad is nice (i didnt check the case but it should have space for dual 140's afaik)

Mobo is BA, plus m.2 is gooood

PSU, better and w only one gpu you still have plenty of headroom (you could go for a higher wattage if you like though)

Ram - x99 has quad channel dims + plus you can add more if you want later

Generally sky-lake is not suuper impressive but its still pretty good, for a high end system the step up is going to be worth it though imho

1 minute ago, PepeSilvia said:

Here's a list for 3K:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/txHTdC
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/txHTdC/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($556.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE/U3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($389.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($181.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($154.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB HYBRID Video Card  ($1149.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer™ ATX Mid Tower Case  ($168.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Air Series SP120 LED Green High Static Pressure 120mm Fan Twin Pack  ($20.99)
Total: $3008.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-23 21:59 EDT-0400

Based on you wanting rendering capacity as well as (presumably) longevity

Haswell-e over skylake b/c more cores plus dx12+vulcan

5930 b/c it's plenty good, you can always swap in a 5960 later if wou want moar

Titan over 980ti's in sli b/c rendering + re-sale value (esp for water cooled) + price to performance (980ti's wont necesarilly outperform a titan in a meaningful way, cost less, sli is buggy a/f too often), also new gen gpu's probably wont destroy a titan but gen after w/HBM2 is probably the best upgrade path if your buying now.

Corsair over kraken b/c supergood rep, warranty and 280 rad is nice (i didnt check the case but it should have space for dual 140's afaik)

Mobo is BA, plus m.2 is gooood

PSU, better and w only one gpu you still have plenty of headroom (you could go for a higher wattage if you like though)

Ram - x99 has quad channel dims + plus you can add more if you want later

Generally sky-lake is suuper impressive but its still pretty good, for a high end system the step up is going to be worth it though imho

Thanks for the part list! Im more of a gamer then editing (I usually do side projects for school and movie shoots for fun) so maybe the 6700 is more for me. 

I'll look into the Corsair cooler, I've also read somewhere that NZXT customer service is awful... 

And one more thing... Which is better? SLI 980 Ti or a Titan (for gaming purposes)...

2 hours ago, Medusa said:

Thanks for the part list! Im more of a gamer then editing (I usually do side projects for school and movie shoots for fun) so maybe the 6700 is more for me. 

I'll look into the Corsair cooler, I've also read somewhere that NZXT customer service is awful... 

And one more thing... Which is better? SLI 980 Ti or a Titan (for gaming purposes)...

I'd stick with the 980ti personally, they released the Titan then the 980ti which was supposedly better if not equal to the titan.

The poke at NZXT having shit customer service is funny, because one of the main reasons I ended up going with the NZXT over the Corsair, was the crappy customer support reviews of Corsair as well as the many bad reviews of the cooler itself.

So here are some updates...

I switched out the Razer case for a Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S ATX Mid Tower Case. Some people told me that the H440 had bad airflow and that having the Razer logo on it made it overpriced as well. Makes sense in my opinion... 

Finally, I'm pretty set on my Corsair as the PSU but some people have said the EVGA makes better ones. Can anyone confirm or share their thoughts on this matter? 

5 minutes ago, The_KIASER said:

I'd stick with the 980ti personally, they released the Titan then the 980ti which was supposedly better if not equal to the titan.

The poke at NZXT having shit customer service is funny, because one of the main reasons I ended up going with the NZXT over the Corsair, was the crappy customer support reviews of Corsair as well as the many bad reviews of the cooler itself.

What are your thoughts on the cooler? Is it durable? 

My shit is running right now, quieter than the "Quiet Edition" Corsair Air Flow 140mm and 120mm fans in my case. My current temps on my PC with this forum and youtube going is 27c liquid temp. The max temp I've seen is 50c under gaming and only temporary, thats with a constant 4.6ghz OC and voltage is at or near 1.4v. Comes with a 5 year warranty, you would normally be worrying about the life of the liquid in a custom water cool setup after a year or two according to JayzTwoCents and other water cooling enthusiast. I have no doubt this is going to be a great cooler for the next 5 years and beyond if i can help it.

Just now, The_KIASER said:

My shit is running right now, quieter than the "Quiet Edition" Corsair Air Flow 140mm and 120mm fans in my case. My current temps on my PC with this forum and youtube going is 27c liquid temp. The max temp I've seen is 50c under gaming and only temporary, thats with a constant 4.6ghz OC and voltage is at or near 1.4v. Comes with a 5 year warranty, you would normally be worrying about the life of the liquid in a custom water cool setup after a year or two according to JayzTwoCents and other water cooling enthusiast. I have no doubt this is going to be a great cooler for the next 5 years and beyond if i can help it.

Dope. Looks like I'm going for it. I'll switch out the stock fans like you said; should make things run a lot quieter. 

Also, whats your PSU? Corsair or EVGA? 

Really wish I had the 10k dollar decibel meter that a company, came in for one of our planes, had (sound testing a propeller). I would love to do a sound test for before and after because the min fan speed noise went from annoyingly audible to now silent, and max speed noise is half of what it was on stock fans. After I had them installed I though I had hooked them up wrong because I could not hear them, had to take the front of the case off the make sure they were spinning.

EVGA Supernova 850 G2, went with it because of good reviews. I also thought I was going to run an X-fire setup, but after further researching, X-fire and SLI are a bit more of a pain in the ass than I had originally thought, plus I didn't realize that not all game seven support the configuration. I'm sure that I'm not even close to the PSU power limit but I'd rather be over than not have enough personally.

50 minutes ago, The_KIASER said:

Really wish I had the 10k dollar decibel meter that a company, came in for one of our planes, had (sound testing a propeller). I would love to do a sound test for before and after because the min fan speed noise went from annoyingly audible to now silent, and max speed noise is half of what it was on stock fans. After I had them installed I though I had hooked them up wrong because I could not hear them, had to take the front of the case off the make sure they were spinning.

EVGA Supernova 850 G2, went with it because of good reviews. I also thought I was going to run an X-fire setup, but after further researching, X-fire and SLI are a bit more of a pain in the ass than I had originally thought, plus I didn't realize that not all game seven support the configuration. I'm sure that I'm not even close to the PSU power limit but I'd rather be over than not have enough personally.

Which fans did you buy to replace the stock ones? Your setup sounds sweet. 

I'll most likely hop over to the EVGA Supernova 850 G2 as well. I'm seeing good reviews like you said. 

Alrighty, this is what i came up with. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TkZ7cf

Mount the CPU rad up top (case will allow it, checked) and change out the stock fans for the proper Fractal ones.

Mount the hybrid cooler rad at the rear exhaust port, should fit with no prob. It can fit a 140mm fan and rad on the top fan ports, in accordance with NZXT.

I changed out the MoBo for the (what i think is way over priced, but you get rid of the second GPU) Formula viii, I did this for more aesthetics reasons than any. This Mobo should probably be 100$ cheaper IMO, but it does have a lot of if not all the benefits that ASUS can throw at it.

Changed out the RAM for the 2133hrz LPX 2x8gb sticks. This is the stock hrz the board is going to run the RAM at. This RAM is overclock-able if you want to go that route. I choose this hrz because it has a great latency at 2133hrz (the higher you clock your ram the higher the ram latency goes, Linus did a vid about this proving that OC-ing ram doesn't get you much other than bragging rights).

Changed the 3tb hhd for a 1tb hdd. 3tb is a retarded amount of space in my opinion, unless your going to be doing something other than gaming. If so just change it back.

980ti hybrid for cooling, silence, and overclock potential, from all the research I've done on the 980ti hybrid cards on the market I personally feel it's the best. The MSI/Corsair is a close second though.

EVGA Supernova 850 G2, for shit and gigs cause you asked about it, lol.

And the Fractal fans for the cpu rad, and two Air Flow series for the front of the case. Good air flow never hurt anyone.

If anyone can prove me wrong my choices please let me know. I never pick anything as an absolute and if it can be improved for good reasons I'd love to learn about why, benefits all in the end. I can usually provide a source for most choices I've made if interested.

Here Is the same build with a very nice 4k G-sync monitor pick from PCGamer http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8LNwGX

6 minutes ago, Medusa said:

Which fans did you buy to replace the stock ones? Your setup sounds sweet. 

I'll most likely hop over to the EVGA Supernova 850 G2 as well. I'm seeing good reviews like you said. 

2- Fractal Designs Venturi HP-14 PWM

I might still replace the Corsair "Quiet Edition" fans I have with a 120mm and 140mm Venturi HF series. The Corsair's do look good though with the red rings.

IMAG0793.jpg

2- Fractal Designs Venturi HP-14 PWM

I might still replace the Corsair "Quiet Edition" fans I have with a 120mm and 140mm Venturi HF series. The Corsair's do look good though with the red rings.

Yeah looks sweet! Thanks again for the information.

I'll do some more searching and see what I can come up with. 

No prob, glad to help...

Just now, Medusa said:

I'll do some more searching and see what I can come up with.