How would I connect a PS3 to my speakers?

BikerMat

I'm considering getting a PS3 to play GTA 5 on, and I don't have a spare TV to plug it into, so how might I hook a PS3 up to my Logitech 5.1 surround sound system? The sound system is currently plugged into my Soundblaster Zx card and I've seen that both the soundcard and PS3 have a digital port on them. Could I plug the PS3 into the soundcard and have some magic happen? Or do I need some special adapter?

My monitor is a Dell ST2220L and it has VGA, DVI-D and HDMI connections.

You need to plug in your SPDIF optical cable into the sound card's SPDIF input. There are also some other changes that need to be made. I'll try to find those for you.

This might be what you need: http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=76771

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Plug the composite cables in the PS3 and set the audio in the system settings to composite. Then get standard RCA to audio jack converters.

Only concern is that it might be a bit quiet if the PS3 puts out an unamped signal.

Oh I see what you're doing, get an RCA to audio jack Y cable splitter, connect the composite cables to the splitter and then connect the audio jack to your sound card in either the auxiliary or microphone jack. In the options under your audio control settings in Windows (Right click > Properties > Listen)  you can set the auxiliary or microphone jack to "Listen to this device" and that should relay the PS3's sound over your sound system.

If your card can use a digital input, use that instead, the process should be the same.

Error: 410

I'm not sure I really understand what you're saying, but that it might work if I plug an optical cable into my soundcard, and then into the PS3. And from the settings in the PS3 I can select the optical out, and that will play sound out of my speakers? And what if I plugged my headset (Steelseries 7H) into the soundcards' crystal voice box-thing with the mic? Could I play sound over them from the PS3 if I selected headphones in the firmware for the soundcard.

I'm not sure I really understand what you're saying, but that it might work if I plug an optical cable into my soundcard, and then into the PS3. And from the settings in the PS3 I can select the optical out, and that will play sound out of my speakers? And what if I plugged my headset (Steelseries 7H) into the soundcards' crystal voice box-thing with the mic? Could I play sound over them from the PS3 if I selected headphones in the firmware for the soundcard.

Yes, if you can select the headphones as output in your card it would play over them.

And I'm talking about:

fJfj7vi.jpg

Instead of Mic in it would probably say Optical in.

Yes, if you can select the headphones as output in your card it would play over them.

And I'm talking about:

fJfj7vi.jpg

Instead of Mic in it would probably say Optical in.

Thanks, it seems a little complex but looks like it will work. If I had "Listen to this device" selected for the PS3, would sound from my PC be ignored until I un-select that option for the PS3 and (Presumably, unless the sound defaults back to my PC) select "Listen to this device" for my PC? Or would the sounds from both devices be play over each other?

Thanks again, the above issue isn't much of an issue, just my curiosity.

Thanks, it seems a little complex but looks like it will work. If I had "Listen to this device" selected for the PS3, would sound from my PC be ignored until I un-select that option for the PS3 and (Presumably, unless the sound defaults back to my PC) select "Listen to this device" for my PC? Or would the sounds from both devices be play over each other?

Thanks again, the above issue isn't much of an issue, just my curiosity.

The PS3 sound would be an overlay. E.g. if you were playing music on your PC and had "Listen to this device" checked under the PS3 input, you would hear both the music on the PC and the PS3 audio simultaneously.

So once you enable that, you can pretty much forget about it and mute the stuff on your PC that makes noise if all you want to hear is the PS3.