Should I get a leap motion? (VR)

werto165

I'm really tempted to get one. Anyone had experience with the new orion tracking? Also I've heard that it only supports specific game engines, I think unity is one of them. I know not many games support it at all just really want to experiment with it, I need a substitute for oculus touch.  

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I considered it but looking at the reviews turned me off. They all say it doesn't work very good and there is no use for it. So unless you are going to develope a game for it yourself, then there's nothing it can really do. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

For the price of the thing, I would say it's worth it. 

It's the cheapest acc. to your VR experience so why not lol

3 minutes ago, christianled59 said:

I considered it but looking at the reviews turned me off. They all say it doesn't work very good and there is no use for it. So unless you are going to develope a game for it yourself, then there's nothing it can really do. 

Looking on the oculus rift subreddit there is a site called aliexpress that has official ones going for around $25, just the only problem is the shipping time it's around 4 weeks usually. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

8 minutes ago, werto165 said:

I'm really tempted to get one. Anyone had experience with the new orion tracking? Also I've heard that it only supports specific game engines, I think unity is one of them. I know not many games support it at all just really want to experiment with it, I need a substitute for oculus touch.  

nah man get one of these instead so much better https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeapPad

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

3 minutes ago, werto165 said:

Looking on the oculus rift subreddit there is a site called aliexpress that has official ones going for around $25, just the only problem is the shipping time it's around 4 weeks usually. 

That's not a bad price actually. Might be worth it to mess around with. Just keep in mind, that's all you'll be doing—messing around and developing your own stuff. I don't think there are many applications that make use of it. Definitely not a replacement for oculus touch, or any hand controllers.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

9 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

For the price of the thing, I would say it's worth it. 

It's the cheapest acc. to your VR experience so why not lol

Yeah, but he wants a sub for oculus touch. Games are being developed for oculus touch, they aren't being developed for leap motion.

1 minute ago, christianled59 said:

That's not a bad price actually. Might be worth it to mess around with. Just keep in mind, that's all you'll be doing—messing around and developing your own stuff. I don't think there are many applications that make use of it. Definitely not a replacement for oculus touch, or any hand controllers.

Probably worth looking at the tutorials before purchase, I'm quite far from a Dev, ive done some programming in unity but not recently. If they're decent might as well. 

3 minutes ago, werto165 said:

Probably worth looking at the tutorials before purchase, I'm quite far from a Dev, ive done some programming in unity but not recently. If they're decent might as well. 

Well, my advice would not to get one. Amazons reviews are cluttered with people saying there is no use. Only developers have really had a lot of fun with them. Even youtubers said it was useless. There is also quite a bit of latency. 

However, at that price, I'd get one if you planned on learning a bit in unity. It would be a nice starter to get into developing. Even if it's just making fun little mini games to play for yourself.