buying used xeon on ebay

I was thinking about an 8 core e5, but I'm not sure if that would be the right thing to buy. Does anybody have any experience with buying used server hardware from ebay? What is the condition of these products? I assume that I will see no drop in framerate in game compared to my i5. Is that correct? Or are they so heavily optimised for other usage that it would create a bottleneck for a high end GPU (I will be upgrading that too). Is it necessary to use ECC memory with it?

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

6 minutes ago, DieselWeasel said:

I was thinking about an 8 core e5, but I'm not sure if that would be the right thing to buy. Does anybody have any experience with buying used server hardware from ebay? What is the condition of these products? I assume that I will see no drop in framerate in game compared to my i5. Is that correct? Or are they so heavily optimised for other usage that it would create a bottleneck for a high end GPU (I will be upgrading that too). Is it necessary to use ECC memory with it?

Do you have a budget, because when I saw the motherboards that are compatible, they seem pretty expensive.

ECC Memory is usually required, you may also need a different motherboard to go from an i5 to an E5 Xeon.

The condition, like anything used can vary wildly.

CPU's are generally fine to get second hand though!

You shouldn't see any drop in frame rate really, *most* games are still GPU bound.

I would question why you want an E5 instead of your current i5 though?

20 minutes ago, OPSJono said:

ECC Memory is usually required, you may also need a different motherboard to go from an i5 to an E5 Xeon.

The condition, like anything used can vary wildly.

CPU's are generally fine to get second hand though!

You shouldn't see any drop in frame rate really, *most* games are still GPU bound.

I would question why you want an E5 instead of your current i5 though?

23 minutes ago, Heuron said:

Do you have a budget, because when I saw the motherboards that are compatible, they seem pretty expensive.

The budget is not that important for now, but I will be looking for the cheapest thing i can find. I think most 2011 motherboard should work. And what is pretty expensive for you ? I already have a 200€ motherboard for my i5 and I've seen some similarly priced motherboards with 2011 socket.

I'm looking for un upgrade because I'm doing other CPU intensive work and my i5 is not cutting it.

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

Just now, DieselWeasel said:

The budget is not that important for now, but I will be looking for the cheapest thing i can find. I think most 2011 motherboard should work. And what is pretty expensive for you ? I already have a 200€ motherboard for my i5 and I've seen some similarly priced motherboards with 2011 socket.

I'm looking for un upgrade because I'm doing other CPU intensive work and my i5 is not cutting it.

Well, 20 bucks is pretty expensive for me. Mainly because I do not have a job (thats a thing right) xD Yeah, your right around 200 would be where I'm seeing em too. 

4 hours ago, Heuron said:

Well, 20 bucks is pretty expensive for me. Mainly because I do not have a job (thats a thing right) xD Yeah, your right around 200 would be where I'm seeing em too.

I am a student so I don't have a lot of money either, but i was thinking if i can sell my old stuff and just pay a small difference in price that i would get a really nice upgrade