[Solved] Dual 360mm vs slim 420mm and 280mm rads

Go to solution Solved by Necrodead,

While 140mm rads do offer slightly more cooling, the extra fan on the dual 360mm's would give you more cooling, and therefore you could run the fans slower and quieter. There is also a better selection of quiet 120mm static pressure fans.

I'm planning on watercooling my Fractal Design Define S, I'm starting with a CPU and will eventually add at least 1, possibly 2 GPU's down the road. Here is an image of the two rad setups I'm considering:

blob1434111846856.jpeg?1434111847

What should I go with for the best possible cooling? I'd like it it be as quiet as possible as well. If I went with the dual 360mm I could start with the EKWB 360mm kit ( https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-kit-p360 ) as a base. If I went the 140mm route i'd need a slim top rad, one smaller than EKWB seems to have and I don't want to mix rad brands. Any alternate suggestions would be appreciated as well.

depending on overclocking with voltage, a 280x60 can cool CPU/2xGPU loop just fine with under 1200rpm 2.0+mm/h2o static pressure fans with no voltage changes from stock.

a 360 and some for voltage overclocks and how the silicon handles those voltages. usually a 360 and 240 is well enough for a CPU/2xGPU with voltage overclocks.

12 minutes ago, airdeano said:

depending on overclocking with voltage, a 280x60 can cool CPU/2xGPU loop just fine with under 1200rpm 2.0+mm/h2o static pressure fans with no voltage changes from stock.

a 360 and some for voltage overclocks and how the silicon handles those voltages. usually a 360 and 240 is well enough for a CPU/2xGPU with voltage overclocks.

For the time being I'm not doing anything crazy, I'm sure I wouldn't go much over 1.3-1.35V on my 3770k anyway since it's a bit old, I do plan on overvolting my video card(s) once I'm on water but I don't plan on BIOS hacking or anything.

While 140mm rads do offer slightly more cooling, the extra fan on the dual 360mm's would give you more cooling, and therefore you could run the fans slower and quieter. There is also a better selection of quiet 120mm static pressure fans.

the 140 combo will perform better (due to more surface area) and be quieter (with quiet 140mm fans of course)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020