My New Ultra Mini Computer Plan. Thoughts?

kenjigreat

My current PC setup is an 2 Way-SLI-GTX 980 paired with an i7-4790k. It's a pretty huge tower. I just really don't want to deal with the hassle of SLI gaming.

Here's my plan for my new PC.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VKtBsY

i7-6700K+Asus Z170i-PRO Gaming M-ITX

Samsung SH-224 24x DvD+-RW

Fractal Design Core 500 Mini ITX Case

Corsair RM650X 650W Modular Gold

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4995-KR 6GB SC

Kingston HyperX 16GB

Samsung 840 EVO

1TB WD HD

Correct me if I'm wrong, but upgrade from 4790k to 6700k is more like a sidegrade, you don't gain much from it.

EDIT: Didn't read first post properly, you're switching to smaller case. My bad, in that case, yea, I understand.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

3 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but upgrade from 4790k to 6700k is more like a sidegrade, you don't gain much from it.

EDIT: Didn't read first post properly, you're switching to smaller case. My bad, in that case, yea, I understand.

Yea I know it doesn't do much and I love my 4790k.

I'm curious if ITX is worse than ATX besides less memory and expansion.

I tried SLI for a year and honestly It feels like a project every time I boot a game cause I have to check if there are driver profiles and if there isn't I have to look for ways to make it work.

5 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

I don't think he mentioned using his old parts, from my understanding he's making a new PC.

Just now, Heuron said:

I don't think he mentioned using his old parts, from my understanding he's making a new PC.

The only parts I'm reusing is my SSD and HDD.

18 minutes ago, kenjigreat said:

My current PC setup is an 2 Way-SLI-GTX 980 paired with an i7-4790k. It's a pretty huge tower. I just really don't want to deal with the hassle of SLI gaming.

Kingston HyperX 16GB

Samsung 840 EVO

1TB WD HD

Very nice build, but would you want to go any smaller maybe? Possibly a node 202 case?

1 minute ago, kenjigreat said:

The only parts I'm reusing is my SSD and HDD.

Alright :D

2 minutes ago, Heuron said:

Very nice build, but would you want to go any smaller maybe? Possibly a node 202 case?

You would also have to change you're hard drive to a 2.5 one. I don't know if that's a problem.

29 minutes ago, kenjigreat said:

Kingston HyperX 16GB

Samsung 840 EVO

1TB WD HD

Here's my suggestion ;D http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Heuron/saved/#view=gzBMnQ

Sorry missed that. Looks good, I might go with a Define Nano S personally. Would give you a better route if you ever did a custom water rig, but that's if it interests you. Make sure that 212 will fit the case, it would suck to get all you stuff and thats what ends up stopping you. I would normally advise a Node 202 but there are no coolers small enough that will support overclocking, that i know of anyways. 

For silent fans look into the fractal designs venturi fans, they are awesome, have two on my kraken x61, silent at idle and still very quiet at max.

22 minutes ago, The_KIASER said:

do you plan on putting games on the SSD? Or just the OS?

I'll probably prioritize some on the SSD and the rest on the HDD

24 minutes ago, Heuron said:

I would go for the Node 202 but one of the priorities for the case is easy to build in and upgrade to the GPU which is what I heard the Core 500 does well.

8 minutes ago, The_KIASER said:

Sorry missed that. Looks good, I might go with a Define Nano S personally. Would give you a better route if you ever did a custom water rig, but that's if it interests you. Make sure that 212 will fit the case, it would suck to get all you stuff and thats what ends up stopping you. I would normally advise a Node 202 but there are no coolers small enough that will support overclocking, that i know of anyways. 

For silent fans look into the fractal designs venturi fans, they are awesome, have two on my kraken x61, silent at idle and still very quiet at max.

What do you mean by '212'? I was actually considering the Define Nano S but the plan for this box is to be good for travelling when the time comes and it's a little too big for luggage.