FiiO E10K Owners

Thony

What number is your volume at ?

Mine is between 1-2, all windows 10 volume maxed out, same for browser. Anything higher and its so loud. I use DT990 Pro and Z97-A mobo.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Mine is normally at 10 and windows is at 45. I am also using the DT 990 Pros.

Main PC : CPU: I7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MOBO: Asus Maximus Hero VII RAM: 32GB Crucial 2133MHz GPU: GTX 980ti 2-Way SLI Drives: 2 850 Evo 250GB, 1 TB WD Blue CASE: 750D PSU: RM1000W

1 minute ago, corbetto said:

Mine is normally at 10 and windows is at 45. I am also using the DT 990 Pros.

So u think its better to keep software volume low and amp volume high ?

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

@Majestic

6 minutes ago, Thony said:

So u think its better to keep software volume low and amp volume high ?

No. You should have the Windows volume at maximum. Turn down the gain on the Fiio if it isn't on low already.

4 minutes ago, SSL said:

@Majestic

No. You should have the Windows volume at maximum. Turn down the gain on the Fiio if it isn't on low already.

I watched Linus's review on this tech and he said Low gain is for low ohm headphones. Mine are 250ohms and capacity of the dac/amp is 300ohm according to Linus.

33 minutes ago, Thony said:

I watched Linus's review on this tech and he said Low gain is for low ohm headphones. Mine are 250ohms and capacity of the dac/amp is 300ohm according to Linus.

Linus is embarrassingly wrong.

48 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

I don't use an E10K but I prefer to strike a balance with Windows volume higher most of the time.

If you amp an analog signal too much, could get distortions

On the other hand I leave room in Windows volume for those few tracks I don't find loud enough.

Prefer not to touch my dac/amp

I believe putting the source volume at anything less than 100% for distortion reasons is only for onboard, since you can't isolate a line-out from onboard.  When it comes to a unit with a DAC built in to it, distortion at 100% Windows volume is a non-issue.  Anything less than 100%, you're going to be cutting bit-depth.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Just now, huilun02 said:

But doesn't windows upconvert to 32bit floating point before volume adjustments?

Lowering the volume of a digital signal is equivalent to cutting bit-depth.  Nothing to do with Windows resampler.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

14 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

But doesn't windows upconvert to 32bit floating point before volume adjustments?

That doesn't actually increase the ENOB though. The best way is to do amplification and volume control in analog.