Upgrading my pc

Go to solution Solved by Deimond,
5 minutes ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

best upgrade for 1150 if you have a g3258 is a:

Xeon 1231V3 (4 cores 8 threads)

16GB memory (can be 1600mhz with a cas of 9)

You can use a similar or the same cooler as you use too (similar tdp)

But with the differance between the Xeon and the i7-4790K. Isn't it worth buying the i7 for the OC capability?

I AM UPGRADING MY PC

I made a PC a couple of years ago, with a minimal budget (6600 nok/ about 700-800 usd). I recently got a job, and I'm going to refurbish my room. So I decided to upgrade my CPU/GPU, but I can't upgrade both.

Whitch should i upgrade first?

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258

GPU: Sapphire Radeon R7 370 4GB GDDR5

misc: 4 GB RAM, only 1 slot for GPU, SSD bootdrive

Sice i live in Norway, I can't buy any non mainstream GPUs. I am most likely going to buy from Komplett ( https://www.komplett.no/ ), just so you know.

-Sondre aka. Deimond

The CPU. That Pentium's two cores and threads will restrict you quite a bit.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I would pick up a cheep AMD motherboard and an FX processor like the 4300 or a 6300. Many modern games like having 4+ cores to run smoothly. 

Have fun with your upgrade :)

29 minutes ago, Julian2000nl said:

You can just get a cheap AMD CPU.. 

Get the FX-4300 or somthing like that. 

I don't care if it is AMD or Intel, but I'm going to stick to Intel so that i don't have to buy a motherboard too.

Replace that CPU. Dual cores are getting less and less support and will restrict you quite a bit. Next up is the ram. Grab an extra 4gb. That CPU should be fine for a while....

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

31 minutes ago, aflyinghotpocket said:

I would pick up a cheep AMD motherboard and an FX processor like the 4300 or a 6300. Many modern games like having 4+ cores to run smoothly. 

Have fun with your upgrade :)

I would probably grab the 860k over the lower end fx CPUs 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

24 minutes ago, BurblingBarbacoa said:

Replace that CPU. Dual cores are getting less and less support and will restrict you quite a bit. Next up is the ram. Grab an extra 4gb. That CPU should be fine for a while....

Sounds good ;)

best bang4buck upgrade for 1150 if you have a g3258 is a:

2.795,-- Xeon 1231V3 (4 cores 8 threads)

1.000,-- 16GB memory (can be 1600mhz with a cas of 9)

0.149,-- Noctua NT-H1 Kjølepasta

----------- +

3.934,-- Viking coins?

You can probably use a similar or the same cooler as you used with the g3258 (both have similar tdp). I have a g3258 and i am going to upgrade to a 1231+16GB. You should check if our mobo+bios supports all the functions of a xeon 1231v3 (afaik 99% of mobo's do).

5 minutes ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

best upgrade for 1150 if you have a g3258 is a:

Xeon 1231V3 (4 cores 8 threads)

16GB memory (can be 1600mhz with a cas of 9)

You can use a similar or the same cooler as you use too (similar tdp)

But with the differance between the Xeon and the i7-4790K. Isn't it worth buying the i7 for the OC capability?

6 minutes ago, Deimond said:

4790k is not bang4buck, a more expensive upgrade because he will probably need a highend mobo, a high end cpucooler and probably also faster memory. Why not sell his current pc and buy a 1151 or 2011-3 computer...

10 minutes ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

4790k is not bang4buck, a more expensive upgrade because he will probably need a new mobo, a new high end cpucooler and probably also new faster memory. Why not sell his current pc and buy a 1151 or 2011-3 computer...

The motherboard isn't a problem, and i am going to upgrade my ram anyways (more of the same (1600 MHz)). And the cooler I have is a Coolemaster 212 evo

3 minutes ago, Deimond said:

The motherboard isn't a problem, and i am going to upgrade my ram anyways (more of the same (1600 MHz))

Whatever you want, but it is an expensive processor, I do not think you will notice the difference between both (in most cases). If you wanted a highend system, you would not stay on 1150 anyway.

Just now, diapersarefullofshit said:

Whatever you want, but it is an expensive processor, I do not think you will notice the difference between both. If you wanted a highend system, you would not stay on 1150 anyway.

thx for the advice :)

11 minutes ago, Deimond said:

thx for the advice :)

Well, the question is, what could you buy with 500 viking currency coins (difference between both cpu's): maybe a highend mouse or keyboard. an ssd for fast booting programs and your os, or a nice new headset, or put those 500 vikingcoins in a fund to purchase your first 1440p monitor. Imho all of these upgrades would inprove your userexperience by alot more (for alot less vikingcoins) then the fastest 1150 processor available. Choices like these are yours, but do not underestimate the influence of a good peripherals on your userexperience.

3 hours ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

Well, the question is, what could you buy with 500 viking currency coins (difference between both cpu's): maybe a highend mouse or keyboard. an ssd for fast booting programs and your os, or a nice new headset, or put those 500 vikingcoins in a fund to purchase your first 1440p monitor. Imho all of these upgrades would inprove your userexperience by alot more (for alot less vikingcoins) then the fastest 1150 processor available. Choices like these are yours, but do not underestimate the influence of a good peripherals on your userexperience.

for 500 vikingcoins you can buy: basicly nothing tech related worth buying. A good gaming mouse, for an example, costs about 600-1000+ vikingcoins. ( example: https://www.komplett.no/category/10264/mustastatur?subcategory=11153_Gaming%20Mus )

34 minutes ago, Deimond said:

for 500 vikingcoins you can buy: basicly nothing tech related worth buying. A good gaming mouse, for an example, costs about 600-1000+ vikingcoins. ( example: https://www.komplett.no/category/10264/mustastatur?subcategory=11153_Gaming%20Mus )

Justify whatever you want, if you can not find good gaming mouses under 500 vikingcoins on that site, then you need to learn to read reviews. Or you can buy a better mouse for 500 vikingcoins more.

349 vikingcoins ===> CM Storm Xornet II Gaming Mus349 vikingcoins ===> Has got a really accurate sensor Avago 3320, clawgrip, cs storm software, 7 programmable knobs, rgb led. It is a really nice gaming mouse, very underpriced.

595 vikingcoins ===> Logitech 402 Hyperion Fury ==> Great sensor, fusion engine, omron switches with 20 million clickrating (high quality). Same thing nice mouse.

499 vikingcoins ===> SSD 120GB ==> Instaboot your os or programs and reduces loadingtimes.

199 vikingcoins ==> Steelseries Camo edition

499 vikingscoins ==> cs storm devastator II gear combo

449 vikingscoins ==> cs storm devastator gear combo

500 vikingcoins ===> 10% of the price of a 1440p monitor.

549 vikingcoins ===> Razor fracking Kraken USB headset

539 vikingcoins ===> Asus HS-W1 no cord usb headset

799 vikingcoins ==> Corsair k65 mek-keyboard

Like, why even post your question on this site if you already planned to buy the 4790k. Just fracking buy it. I think it is a waste of the extra vikingcoins if you do not have a high quality mobo, high quality cpu cooler and dangmemory. Well ok, maybe your stuff will not have the synergy i would like, but it is still a good processor. That simple. Just buy it.

9 hours ago, Deimond said:

Sounds good ;)

Autocorrect. I meant that the GPU should be fene for a while. Maybe look at the r9 380 if you want an upgrade 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

14 hours ago, BurblingBarbacoa said:

Autocorrect. I meant that the GPU should be fene for a while. Maybe look at the r9 380 if you want an upgrade 

Or meybe a nvidia card. Annything that is blue and black, and runs games fairly well for a good price is good enough for me ;)

19 hours ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

Justify whatever you want, if you can not find good gaming mouses under 500 vikingcoins on that site, then you need to learn to read reviews. Or you can buy a better mouse for 500 vikingcoins more.

349 vikingcoins ===> CM Storm Xornet II Gaming Mus349 vikingcoins ===> Has got a really accurate sensor Avago 3320, clawgrip, cs storm software, 7 programmable knobs, rgb led. It is a really nice gaming mouse, very underpriced.

595 vikingcoins ===> Logitech 402 Hyperion Fury ==> Great sensor, fusion engine, omron switches with 20 million clickrating (high quality). Same thing nice mouse.

499 vikingcoins ===> SSD 120GB ==> Instaboot your os or programs and reduces loadingtimes.

199 vikingcoins ==> Steelseries Camo edition

499 vikingscoins ==> cs storm devastator II gear combo

449 vikingscoins ==> cs storm devastator gear combo

500 vikingcoins ===> 10% of the price of a 1440p monitor.

549 vikingcoins ===> Razor fracking Kraken USB headset

539 vikingcoins ===> Asus HS-W1 no cord usb headset

799 vikingcoins ==> Corsair k65 mek-keyboard

Like, why even post your question on this site if you already planned to buy the 4790k. Just fracking buy it. I think it is a waste of the extra vikingcoins if you do not have a high quality mobo, high quality cpu cooler and dangmemory. Well ok, maybe your stuff will not have the synergy i would like, but it is still a good processor. That simple. Just buy it.

I didn't say that i was going to buy it. I just said it was an option.

But thanks for the help anyways. :)

(and btw. I allready have good peripherals)

10 hours ago, Deimond said:

Or meybe a nvidia card. Annything that is blue and black, and runs games fairly well for a good price is good enough for me ;)

At the moment AMD has the edge on the mid to low end market 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X