GTX 970 upgrade?

hawkeg

Hello everyone!

I'm currently an owner of an ASUS GTX 760 OEM 3gb 192bit card. Since The Division came out not a long time ago, I'm still very active in the game. The issue is though, my card run the game at about 25 fps on low-med settings. My question is, is it reasonable (price wise and money wise) to upgrade the 760 to a 970? Or 960 is an option too? And now my biggest question, I have a pre-build desktop from ASUS, that is about 1 year old, and its packaged with a 500w psu of an unknown brand (at least not Corsair or CoolerMaster, Antec, etc...) and it powers the 760 with 2 6 pin pci-e connectors. Is it safe for myself allowing this psu to feed the 960 or 970?

BTW, Here's the newegg link to the same exact computer that I own.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220798

Thank you very much! :)

PS: My mainly play CSGO

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

970 should be good, but if your willing to spend for a better psu, then i would advice for a r9 390 for best bang for your buck

Thanks man, will consider 

oooor you could wait for pascal and see what happens (price drops on 970, amd cards or even get the 1070)

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

Don't bother with a 960, go for a 970. As for the power supply your 500w should be fine. I recently added 2 970's in sli to one of my systems and on load it pulled 425w from the wall so you should be fine with a single gpu on your current psu.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

I find that odd that the 760 was only getting 25 fps at low-med settings. I had a 760 2 GB for a long time and though I never played the Division with it, I could still get 30-45 fps at mostly high settings with current AAA titles. Either the Division is very demanding or perhaps internet lag is a contributor. 

Anyway, the 960 isn't really enough of an upgrade IMO. Especially if you're coming from a 3 GB card, even if you get the 4 GB 960 it's not going to give you a big performance boost. If you're going to spend your money, go for at least a 970 or 390. 

1 minute ago, adamjp said:

I find that odd that the 760 was only getting 25 fps at low-med settings. I had a 760 2 GB for a long time and though I never played the Division with it, I could still get 30-45 fps at mostly high settings with current AAA titles. Either the Division is very demanding or perhaps internet lag is a contributor. 

Anyway, the 960 isn't really enough of an upgrade IMO. Especially if you're coming from a 3 GB card, even if you get the 4 GB 960 it's not going to give you a big performance boost. If you're going to spend your money, go for at least a 970 or 390. 

would i have to upgrade my psu for a 390? and is it safe enough to keep the psu for any 2 of those cards?

Just now, hawkeg said:

would i have to upgrade my psu for a 390? and is it safe enough to keep the psu for any 2 of those cards?

Would you have to? No. 

Is it safe? That's a gamble. Crappy power supplies have been known to destroy computers, the risk is up to you. 

Just now, adamjp said:

Would you have to? No. 

Is it safe? That's a gamble. Crappy power supplies have been known to destroy computers, the risk is up to you. 

so, throwing extra $50 on something like this : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438014&cm_re=600w-_-17-438-014-_-Product    would be a good road to take?

12 hours ago, hawkeg said:

so, throwing extra $50 on something like this : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438014&cm_re=600w-_-17-438-014-_-Product    would be a good road to take?

I had that PSU before, and yea it'll be a lot safer than what you have now. Eventually as you upgrade the rest of your computer I would consider a Gold+ or higher PSU, but on a budget and considering you want to have enough money to give yourself better performance, that should work just fine. It worked for me and kept working well enough for me to sell it a year later and use the money toward a better one.