$1200 USD pc build recommendation.

Hello guys! I've been following LTT for a few months now and my knowledge for pc gaming has improved dramatically ever since which drove me to build my own gaming pc (thanks linus) My Asus K series laptop has reached its end and I just graduated from college. I'm planning to pursue another field in college and I'm planning to set up a rig for Microsoft office stuffs and also for gaming. I need advice from all you pc enthusiasts as I'm not very well off financially. What I'm looking for is a rig that has the most bang for the buck.

Potentially the highest workload for my rig would be:

1) Gaming: Dota 2, CSGO and AAA titles, high-ultra settings preferred (i'm a sucker for video quality)

2) Music production (do i need a sound card? I'm using a Shure SE215 currently)

What i need:

1) the whole build

2) cheap 1080p monior (I don't need g-sync/freesync)

Here are some of my preferences:

1) Intel i5-6600 (k?)

2) I've decided on NZXT Noctus 450 (???) the case that Luke used for the distributed build guide

3) not planning to upgrade the system

4) my budget is about USD$1000, overseas shipping included (I live in Singapore and i don't intend to buy parts there because it's bloody expensive)

Hope i do get replies heh

I have no idea how to calculate shipping costs, but I came up with this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($196.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($51.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($32.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($299.99 @ Micro Center) 
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($87.95 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor  ($109.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $949.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-20 06:00 EDT-0400

Edited by Castdeath97
Added a better power supply

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

24 minutes ago, FuriousGamer said:

Cheaper than the build above plus more reliable http://pcpartpicker.com/p/63GHYJ Overseas is a pain in the ass it might cost you alot to ship.

'more reliable' bullshit

to game or not to game, that`s the question

2 minutes ago, UnlimitedTMD said:

'more reliable' bullshit

Seagate drives are unrealiable. 

Reliable $550 Starter PC (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KGgpZL) *Just waiting for someone to need help with there ram so I can make a downloadmoreram.com joke*

Just now, FuriousGamer said:

although that`s true. your PSU and OS are less reliable. While you didn`t count the Noctis in

1 minute ago, UnlimitedTMD said:

although that`s true. your PSU and OS are less reliable. While you didn`t count the Noctis in

The os can be covered by Kinguin for an extra $1.10. The psu comes in at the same rank on the guide I use and the guide Linus told us to go by. 

Reliable $550 Starter PC (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KGgpZL) *Just waiting for someone to need help with there ram so I can make a downloadmoreram.com joke*

1 minute ago, FuriousGamer said:

The os can be covered by Kinguin for an extra $1.10. The psu comes in at the same rank on the guide I use and the guide Linus told us to go by. 

that it can be covered by Pinguin doesn`t make it a whole lot better and yes the G2 is a better PSU than GS. Don`t only look at that chard, there are far better and more in depth reviews that praise the G2 over the GS

8 minutes ago, UnlimitedTMD said:

that it can be covered by Pinguin doesn`t make it a whole lot better and yes the G2 is a better PSU than GS. Don`t only look at that chard, there are far better and more in depth reviews that praise the G2 over the GS

Its covered I dont see your point? Looked it up and you are correct but its not that big of a difference. 

10 minutes ago, FuriousGamer said:

Its covered I dont see your point? Looked it up and you are correct but its not that big of a difference. 

the difference isn`t that huge on the PSU, but it`s definately there and by saying `more reliable` you`re lying. And still Pinguin is not as reliable as microsoft buy, that`s just fact

1 minute ago, UnlimitedTMD said:

the difference isn`t that huge on the PSU, but it`s definately there and by saying `more reliable` you`re lying. And still Pinguin is not as reliable as microsoft buy, that`s just fact

How is it not? If you get scammed you get your money back. I could save $60 from buying on Pinguin and thats the price of a brand new game on steam when they dont have discounts. More reliable was still correct considering seagate drives are worse than WD. 

Just now, FuriousGamer said:

How is it not? If you get scammed you get your money back. I could save $60 from buying on Pinguin and thats the price of a brand new game on steam when they dont have discounts. More reliable was still correct considering seagate drives are worse than WD. 

yes WD is more reliable, but you stated that your whole build was more reliable by not specifying the storage, which wasn`t true at all

2 minutes ago, UnlimitedTMD said:

yes WD is more reliable, but you stated that your whole build was more reliable by not specifying the storage, which wasn`t true at all

My build is more reliable because of the different HDD. Thats why I said that. 

7 minutes ago, FuriousGamer said:

My build is more reliable because of the different HDD. Thats why I said that. 

when you say such thing, you should speccify, because your build overall wasn`t more reliable

Hmmm a micro atx, interesting. imagine that on the noctis 450 haha. thanks alot guys. i'm probably going for a wd black 1tb as my storage drive. 

CPU                 - Intel Core i3-4160

Notes: I wanted to go with the latest i5, but I realised you're gonna run in DoTA2 and CS:GO

GPU                 - MSi GeForce GTX 950

Notes: Just another dirt cheap GPU that can run on max settings in both games... I know Singapore these stuff are like diamonds, but here Malaysia worse.. They scam.

Motherboard    - ASUS H81-M e

Notes: Just another cheap stuff. 

RAM                 - G.Skill Sniper Series 16 (4x2GB)

Notes: 8GB is a good amount of memory. I was gonna go for 16GBs, but nah. It's cool too (pun intended)

Storage            - WD Blue 1TB

PSU                 - EVGA 100-B1-0600-KR 80 Plus Bronze

Case                - Corsair Carbide Series  CC-9011070-WW

Monitor            - LG 22MC37D-B Black 21.5"

This total build is around 780USD, you have like 220USD to spend. Makan and minum, hehe. You can change the specs if you like.

17 hours ago, Krato1337 said:

CPU                 - Intel Core i3-4160

Notes: I wanted to go with the latest i5, but I realised you're gonna run in DoTA2 and CS:GO

GPU                 - MSi GeForce GTX 950

Notes: Just another dirt cheap GPU that can run on max settings in both games... I know Singapore these stuff are like diamonds, but here Malaysia worse.. They scam.

Motherboard    - ASUS H81-M e

Notes: Just another cheap stuff. 

RAM                 - G.Skill Sniper Series 16 (4x2GB)

Notes: 8GB is a good amount of memory. I was gonna go for 16GBs, but nah. It's cool too (pun intended)

Storage            - WD Blue 1TB

PSU                 - EVGA 100-B1-0600-KR 80 Plus Bronze

Case                - Corsair Carbide Series  CC-9011070-WW

Monitor            - LG 22MC37D-B Black 21.5"

This total build is around 780USD, you have like 220USD to spend. Makan and minum, hehe. You can change the specs if you like.

i'm looking for something beefy-er, so i'm sticking with he i5-6600. And i did say i might venture into AAA titles so i'd probably go for a gtx 970? or stick with the r9 380. A windforce card seems juicy though xD

On 20-3-2016 at 10:54 AM, Castdeath97 said:

I have no idea how to calculate shipping costs, but I came up with this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($196.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($51.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($32.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($299.99 @ Micro Center) 
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($87.95 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor  ($109.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $949.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-20 06:00 EDT-0400

Need an ssd, but i like it.

On March 20, 2016 at 1:32 PM, FuriousGamer said:

On March 20, 2016 at 2:06 PM, UnlimitedTMD said:

This is a myth that came from a dumb test that already has been busted:

Unless you have another reliable source please stop spreading this.

Pascal laptops guide

21 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

didn`t know... thanks for the info

2 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

Well heres one source 

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-q3-2015/

Another source 

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

PC World covers the second source

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2089464/three-year-27-000-drive-study-reveals-the-most-reliable-hard-drive-makers.html

That and with my personal experience with Seagate drives have made me never want to buy one again. Had three seagate drives fail on me in a span of two years. 

11 hours ago, FuriousGamer said:

Well heres one source 

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-q3-2015/

Another source 

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

PC World covers the second source

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2089464/three-year-27-000-drive-study-reveals-the-most-reliable-hard-drive-makers.html

That and with my personal experience with Seagate drives have made me never want to buy one again. Had three seagate drives fail on me in a span of two years. 

Those are all from the same blackblaze test! Which has been debunked as shown. And person experience doesn't provide enough sample size to claim anything.

Pascal laptops guide

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

Those are all from the same black blaze. Which has been debunked as shown.

If you read it you would see there different. 

16 minutes ago, FuriousGamer said:

If you read it you would see there different. 

The second and third webpage links to the same document ("Which hard drive should you buy", published 21 jan 2014) debunked by the website linked the WAN show document:

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6028/dispelling-backblaze-s-hdd-reliability-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html

So yes the first two are the same, so those are down.

The only different one is the first webpage, considering it's from the same organisation that already previously used poor testing methods might be enough to call bullshit on, but if that's not enough lets look at their data pool:

• The 2013, 2014, and 2015 failure rates are cumulative for the given year. In the case of 2015 that is through Q3 (September).

Ohh so it probably includes the data from the 2014 document (i.e 2013 results) that has already been questioned, so a large part of their data pool is questionable.

And to make matter worse their data actually shows that Seagate was more reliable last year than WD!

57Ntved.jpeg

So I guess this makes Seagate now more reliable? No, its just that their testing methods are fishy, generally speaking a failure rate of 8% would be catastrophic, the drives are placed in unrealistic conditions.

Pascal laptops guide

17 hours ago, UnlimitedTMD said:

didn`t know... thanks for the info

Well known brands would not be so well known if they produced and misled the public on purpose now would they.