mATX recommendations

DebatED Nothing
Go to solution Solved by DebatED Nothing,

I'm going to get the air 240.

Including a new, really good CPU cooler it is £16 cheaper than if I were to go for the Prodigy, and it's slightly smaller as well. Also front IO should be on the front of a case not the fucking side.

I'm looking to move my system to an mATX motherboard and case, I've already got the motherboard picked out and it looks good (recommended to me by several LTT members and well reviewed on PCPartPicker) but I'm still unsure about what case to go for. I'm looking for a small mATX case, because in my new set-up location a smaller case would be very beneficial. At the moment I am looking at the Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV, and while I really like the look of it there are a few issues such as the panels coming off so easily it gives me nightmares of people picking my PC up, getting it 3 feet off the ground and then the panel coming off and the right side panel mounted front IO. I need a case with mounts for at least 3 3.5 inch drives and 2 2.5 inch drives, and preferable a 5.25 inch slot for an optical bay but that's not really necessary (I use it infrequently enough I could just take a side panel off and plug it in temporarily)

Thanks for any help you can give, I know choosing something for someone else is pretty tough but I'd really appreciate any input.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

24 minutes ago, DebatED Nothing said:

bitfenix prodigy?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

18 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

bitfenix prodigy?

So practical, so ugly :/

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

Just now, DebatED Nothing said:

So practical, so ugly :/

custom made mATX case
aka cardboard box lol

go knock yourself out

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

My friend recently went with the Evolv and he loves it especially the side panel design but one negative he mentioned was the front i/O was on the side panel which faces away from him. 

Here's a picture https://embed.gyazo.com/505a197090a44494741f080580df3068.jpg

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

I took another look at the Bitfenix Prodigy M today and it's actually grown on me quite a bit. I also made a size comparison image and that helped me decide quite a bit, because the Z11 is already a reasonably small ATX mid tower, the EVOLV isn't actually that much smaller, so the Prodigy makes much more sense. Especially considering that the main reason I want to make this change is portability, the handles on the Prodigy are great.

size comparison.png

33 minutes ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

Corsair Air 240 is one of the best cases in roundups (if you want to go smaller, you will probably find cases that could look alot nicer but will always come at a less optimal cost, so whatever you prefer).

Welp. That's just opened a whole new can of worms. Now it's between the prodigy, where the upgrade will cost £202 and involves replacing my PSU, or the the 240, where the upgrade will cost £190 after replacing my CPU cooler which I need to do anyway because I damaged it. Ugh.

Including a new, really good CPU cooler it is £16 cheaper than if I were to go for the Prodigy, and it's slightly smaller as well. Also front IO should be on the front of a case not the fucking side.

8 minutes ago, DebatED Nothing said:

It is a nice firm case, i would get one (if i was not designing my own case). Cablemanagement is realy good because 2 compartments and the airflow it can support is one of the highest ones available.

21 hours ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

It is a nice firm case, i would get one (if i was not designing my own case). Cablemanagement is realy good because 2 compartments and the airflow it can support is one of the highest ones available.

Awesome. Are you making a build log thread on this forum?

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/03/2016 at 7:48 PM, DebatED Nothing said:

Welp. That's just opened a whole new can of worms. Now it's between the prodigy, where the upgrade will cost £202 and involves replacing my PSU, or the the 240, where the upgrade will cost £190 after replacing my CPU cooler which I need to do anyway because I damaged it. Ugh.

Why would you need to replace the PSU for the Prodigy?

8 hours ago, Scottonpc said:

Why would you need to replace the PSU for the Prodigy?

My current PSU is 180mm long, the Prodigy (MAtx variant) only supports power supplies 160mm long.