Ok to have mid-tower case side panel facing ground?

So I am building my Uncle a computer so that he can casually play in his living room. The problem is that he wants it to fit in the cabinet that his TV is on (the gap is 7 inches tall between the 2 shelves) This is the part list so far http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FdKsRB . just looking for a case that can fit all the components in the list. The main question is, can you put a mid tower case like the BitFenix Shadow with the side panel facing the ground?

I don't see why not, assuming you're not covering any vents or fan inlets/exhausts. Just because I like to have some mechanical sympathy, I'd lay it with the motherboard facing upwards and not hanging from its standoffs, but I'm fairly sure even that wouldn't be necessary and it sort of hangs from them anyway in a normal vertical orientation. 

4 minutes ago, GetShrektMrKrabs said:

So I am building my Uncle a computer so that he can casually play in his living room. The problem is that he wants it to fit in the cabinet that his TV is on (the gap is 7 inches tall between the 2 shelves) This is the part list so far http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FdKsRB . just looking for a case that can fit all the components in the list. The main question is, can you put a mid tower case like the BitFenix Shadow with the side panel facing the ground?

As long as there's no vents or fans on the side it should be fine.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

It is almost impossible for me to find any cases that can fit in a 7 inch gap though. The struggle is real for me right now. Any suggestions?

Nope, I don't think any mid tower case can fit a hight of 7 inches, I think the CM Elite 130 will fit inside.

Ariana Grande's Leaked Nudes!!!111!11!

Spoiler

Ayyyyyy

Gaming Rig:     CPU:  i5-4690k  Cooler:  H80i  Mobo:  MSI z97 PC MATE  RAM:  16gb Fury White  Storage:  1TB WD + 120gb Fury SSD  GPU:  GTX 970  Case:  NZXT S340  PSU:  NEX 650W  Keyboard:  K65 RGB  Mouse:  Mionix Naos 7000  Headphones:  ATH-M50x  Monitor:  2x VN248h-P + 1x MG248q  Setup Photo:  (To come)

some other forums were suggesting a server rack chassis, but I don't think the power supply or GPU would fit in it 

Orientation doesn't usually have too much of an impact in terms of airflow. Dust buildup can always be an issue if gravity is able to make dust fall through an open top vent.

The biggest thing to consider is orientation agnostic - Will it have enough room to get air from the outside? I remember a video Linus did on putting a PC in a cabinet - although his solution might be a bit OTT.

As for cases, maybe an old server case? I'm really not sure - someone more knowledgeable will have to confirm if that's possible.

EDIT: @GetShrektMrKrabs, beat me to it by seconds!

Core i5 3570k | Nvidia GTX1070 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Samsung 850 EVO SSDs | Noctua fans FTW!

How about the SilverStone SG13B, its 7.125 inches tall? Anyway to fit it in?

Ariana Grande's Leaked Nudes!!!111!11!

Spoiler

Ayyyyyy

Gaming Rig:     CPU:  i5-4690k  Cooler:  H80i  Mobo:  MSI z97 PC MATE  RAM:  16gb Fury White  Storage:  1TB WD + 120gb Fury SSD  GPU:  GTX 970  Case:  NZXT S340  PSU:  NEX 650W  Keyboard:  K65 RGB  Mouse:  Mionix Naos 7000  Headphones:  ATH-M50x  Monitor:  2x VN248h-P + 1x MG248q  Setup Photo:  (To come)

12 minutes ago, GetShrektMrKrabs said:

It is almost impossible for me to find any cases that can fit in a 7 inch gap though. The struggle is real for me right now. Any suggestions?

how about a node 202?

edit: you need to drop that radiator, and it comes with its own psu iirc, and it doesnt fit a 3.5inch hard disk i think
and forget about the dvd writer

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

My uncle was willing to spend 3 grand on a new sound system so I am sure he wouldn't mind an expensive case just so that it can fit.

Just now, GetShrektMrKrabs said:

@Moonzy doesn't show to be compatible with my parts on PcPartPicker. 

yea i edited my post xD

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I know I can drop all those things but he wants to burn all his movies and CD's onto a drive so he needs a ton of space (he has like 400+ movies)

Edit: i guess an external drive would be fine.

Edited by GetShrektMrKrabs
added comment