Cannot Restore factory settings, Windows 10.

S340PZ

Hey guys,

I have an Asus laptop with Windows 10 right now and I need to restore to its factory settings. I have the Windows 8.1 Recovery disc given when I bought the laptop, but when I click "Reset this PC" from settings, laptop sees the disc, but it still says "Could not find Recovery Environment". When I try Advanced Startup, I believe my hard drive starts making noises and the screen goes black... How do I reset my laptop now ? 

3 minutes ago, S340PZ said:

...my hard drive starts making noises and the screen goes black... 

That sounds distinctly like a dying HDD, why are you trying to reset your PC? 

5 minutes ago, S340PZ said:

Hey guys,

I have an Asus laptop with Windows 10 right now and I need to restore to its factory settings. I have the Windows 8.1 Recovery disc given when I bought the laptop, but when I click "Reset this PC" from settings, laptop sees the disc, but it still says "Could not find Recovery Environment". When I try Advanced Startup, I believe my hard drive starts making noises and the screen goes black... How do I reset my laptop now ? 

You could make a 10 boot disc and do a fresh install perhapes?

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

1 minute ago, Matt100HP said:

That sounds distinctly like a dying HDD, why are you trying to reset your PC? 

Welp, It is getting old :) Sometimes I can't connect to Wi-fi, cannot open apps suddenly. I felt like restoring it.

1 minute ago, swordsman247 said:

You could make a 10 boot disc and do a fresh install perhapes?

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but don't know how to do that. Can you please give me a source as a guide ? 

Just now, S340PZ said:

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but don't know how to do that. Can you please give me a source as a guide ? 

It's probably easier with a USB stick, there's a tool available on MS's website called the "Media Creation Tool", download it and follow the (very easy) instructions. That said, if your HDD is dying, it's probably best to sort that first, you don't want to stress it with reinstalling an OS, unless everything important is backed up and you don't mind it totally dying mid-operation.