Windows network

josh_frawley97

Hi, I am helping a youth organisation that use a windows network, they want to get rid of their server. Is there a way to to make windows log on as normal standalone machine again after it has been configured for a server. I was thinking about just creating local accounts but don't know if that could make it complicated. Is there a way to do a whole reinstall and create a system imagine without buying new keys?

Well, yes, but I honestly don't see why you'd want to use a server operating system for something that would be used by a bunch of people for things like browsing the web. At that point I'd just dick around with Ubuntu for a bit and make it join the network.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

it would be best to do a fresh install of windows to ensure no ports that were used for the server is left open or that no configurations is left just there to be exploited by someone.

If you right click on my computer you will see the windows key at the very bottom of the window that opens, that is what you would need to install windows again. If you see OEM in the serial/key you shouldn't have an issue installing windows any number of times again.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

it would be best to do a fresh install of windows to ensure no ports that were used for the server is left open or that no configurations is left just there to be exploited by someone.

If you right click on my computer you will see the windows key at the very bottom of the window that opens, that is what you would need to install windows again. If you see OEM in the serial/key you shouldn't have an issue installing windows any number of times again.

I was going to do that but none of the machines actually log onto as it just does the usual no logon servers available. Some log on some dont

2 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Well, yes, but I honestly don't see why you'd want to use a server operating system for something that would be used by a bunch of people for things like browsing the web. At that point I'd just dick around with Ubuntu for a bit and make it join the network.

I was thinking that and customise it so it's easy to use and don't let them brake it

1 minute ago, josh_frawley97 said:

I was thinking that and customise it so it's easy to use and don't let them brake it

Definitely. I threw Xubuntu on my sister's netbook and hid/removed a bunch of options that could break stuff.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

22 minutes ago, josh_frawley97 said:

Hi, I am helping a youth organisation that use a windows network, they want to get rid of their server. Is there a way to to make windows log on as normal standalone machine again after it has been configured for a server. I was thinking about just creating local accounts but don't know if that could make it complicated. Is there a way to do a whole reinstall and create a system imagine without buying new keys?

right click start > click system > advanced system settings > computer name > change > workgroup.  That should remove it from the domain and have it on a standalone workgroup again.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30