Pre built Vs Building?

z123killer

So my current laptop is about to die and I am thinking of buying another one but I have the two other options of building a desktop or buying a pre built desktop because they give more power per dollar. My budget is about $400 so should I build a desktop, buy one or buy a laptop?

Depends on the use for the machine. If you want to do gaming then build. You will be able to build a stronger machine than you can buy as a pre-built. If you need portability then laptop is your only option. Are you a university student....get a laptop....do you only do email, web surfing, and watching netflix / youtube....laptop again (nice to be able to lay in bed and do those things). 

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

Just now, Papakuma said:

Depends on the use for the machine. If you want to do gaming then build. You will be able to build a stronger machine than you can buy as a pre-built. If you need portability then laptop is your only option. Are you a university student....get a laptop....do you only do email, web surfing, and watching netflix / youtube....laptop again (nice to be able to lay in bed and do those things). 

Ok, do you have any recommendations for a laptop in the price range of $400?

A pre-built system can seem to offer more performance per dollar, but you have to pay attention to what your actually buying. Often times the pre-builts use sub-par cases (with extremely poor ventilation), motherboards, and power supplies limiting any potential upgrades in the future. However building a system on $400 is tough, but if shop the deals and buy smart you could build a pretty solid rig for $400. A $400 laptop will probably offer more features and may seem like a better option, but what your buying at $400 is something that is probably 2 or 3 generations old already and offer almost no upgradability.

I'd defiantly recommend building your own over buying a pre built system. You can get a better bank for your buck doing it yourself.

4 minutes ago, The_KIASER said:

I'd defiantly recommend building your own over buying a pre built system. You can get a better bank for your buck doing it yourself.

hard to say... linus proved that prebuilt was tough to beat with custom

i myself have issues making a custom rig that outmatch a prebuilt rig that my friend wanted, for the same price...

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

6 minutes ago, z123killer said:

Ok, do you have any recommendations for a laptop in the price range of $400?

Nope. I will say that I have used laptops from Acer, HP, and Lenovo in the past. I still have and use a Lenovo x220 on nearly a daily basis and have found it to be one of the best build and most stable workhorse machines I have ever owned. Your best bet is to see what is available in your region (Electronic Stores, Amazon, Etc)

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

For a good laptop that will last you a long time, at 400$, is hard to find. You might be better off looking into used gaming laptops. My old Asus ROG G55vw, I believe is going for around 600-800$ and was originally 1400$. It might not play games maxed out anymore because of the 660m gpu, but it is still a wicked laptop that runs very cool and has an i7 cpu. You don't need this exact laptop, but someone might want to get rid of their "still good and great for now days general computing laptop", for a more modern one because of gaming limitations. Just go give them a look, might find one that will last a long time and save you money in the long run.

6 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i myself have issues making a custom rig that outmatch a prebuilt rig that my friend wanted, for the same price...

you got a point, watched that vid too... kinda forgot about the problems with building inside that price point

4 minutes ago, The_KIASER said:

you got a point, watched that vid too... kinda forgot about the problems with building inside that price point

12 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Do you have any recommendations for a pre built though? I just checked best buy and a tower only that is $400 has the same specs of a $400 laptop which is stupid. 

1 minute ago, z123killer said:

Do you have any recommendations for a pre built though? I just checked best buy and a tower only that is $400 has the same specs of a $400 laptop which is stupid. 

same spec? same processor? down to the number? o-o

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Don't have the time to look into it tonight, but i'll see what i can find tomorrow... Again its a difficult price point, just keep saving whatever you can to raise your budget, you can make a little go a long ways sometimes.

1 minute ago, The_KIASER said:

Don't have the time to look into it tonight, but i'll see what i can find tomorrow... Again its a difficult price point, just keep saving whatever you can to raise your budget, you can make a little go a long ways sometimes.

What is an average price for a decent laptop in your opinion?

18 hours ago, z123killer said:

What is an average price for a decent laptop in your opinion?

600-800$ US, will get you a very decent laptop for general day to day use. My roommate just got an ASUS Q553 (the laptop) for right at 900$, and its a bit over kill for her and what she does but it's going to last her quite a while.

Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's a great laptop necessarily. It's just that usually more expensive versions have more powerful components in them, and in the PC world, the faster and more capable of a product you have, the longer it usually last. Until the software and programs are just more demanding, than what the computer can handle. It comes down to what you want to do with it too. If you have no intention of doing any gaming then I wouldn't recommend a laptop that has a crazy GPU in it, it would never be used to it potential and at that point, why have it. The one reason I had recommended possibly going with a used "gaming" laptop is because games require almost everything in the PC to be of decent quality/performance, and they are still great machines for everyday tasks, they just can handle the latest AAA games very well (which is what most people want to play).

So what do you want to do with this laptop?

What is your max budget?

If it's 400$ then that fine, we could find something for that. But if it were more like 600 or 800 hundred after sticking it out with your current laptop and saving a bit more, then let me know. I'll find something now to give you an idea of what you need, and in whatever time it takes to achieve the budgeted amount you want to spend, say three months from now, hit me up, or the forum up again right before your ready to buy, and we might be able to find you something slightly better for the money. Then you can got with that one now that you would have cash in hand.

600-800$ US, will get you a very decent laptop for general day to day use. My roommate just got an ASUS Q553 (the laptop) for right at 900$, and its a bit over kill for her and what she does but it's going to last her quite a while.

Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's a great laptop necessarily. It's just that usually more expensive versions have more powerful components in them, and in the PC world, the faster and more capable of a product you have, the longer it usually last. Until the software and programs are just more demanding, than what the computer can handle. It comes down to what you want to do with it too. If you have no intention of doing any gaming then I wouldn't recommend a laptop that has a crazy GPU in it, it would never be used to it potential and at that point, why have it. The one reason I had recommended possibly going with a used "gaming" laptop is because games require almost everything in the PC to be of decent quality/performance, and they are still great machines for everyday tasks, they just can handle the latest AAA games very well (which is what most people want to play).

So what do you want to do with this laptop?

What is your max budget?

If it's 400$ then that fine, we could find something for that. But if it were more like 600 or 800 hundred after sticking it out with your current laptop and saving a bit more, then let me know. I'll find something now to give you an idea of what you need, and in whatever time it takes to achieve the budgeted amount you want to spend, say three months from now, hit me up, or the forum up again right before your ready to buy, and we might be able to find you something slightly better for the money. Then you can got with that one now that you would have cash in hand.

I found this custom build for $500 (US Dollar)(Used) and it is looking pretty good. I might sell the graphics card because I won't be gaming.

This is it:  https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/sys/5479842587.html

Give me a bit, have a few things to do quick, then i will look into putting together a desktop build for you, since that idea is on the table. For 500$ I should be able to get something together...

Give me a bit, have a few things to do quick, then i will look into putting together a desktop build for you, since that idea is on the table. For 500$ I should be able to get something together...

ok, but the build I linked is a steal imo what do you think?

5 minutes ago, z123killer said:

ok, but the build I linked is a steal imo what do you think?

Yea decent build for daily stuff...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vsCr23

If a friend came to me asking for what your going for, this is what I'd build for them. Unfortunately I can't build it for you, but if you feel up to building you own rig give this a look. Wondering what everyone else thinks too???