New House Networking

xmuffin32

Hi friends,

I am currently in the process of drafting a network for my new house. Since it has three floors, I am planning to do some network drops and a few access points across the house, as well as wire up some IP cameras along with a NAS for storage, streaming and surveillance. Here is what I have so far:

Router: ISP router (not sure)

Switch: Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch (48 500W)

APs: Ubiquiti Unifi AP

NAS: Synology DS716+

IP Camera: not sure (maybe ~10 cameras)

I would also need a PDU and UPS. I'm thinking of also setting up a seperate VLAN for the cameras to isolate them and to also connect a wireless printer. I have chosen the DS716+ over a RS unit (RS815+) because of the video transcoding capabilities. Would this set up be alright? I am reading about Ubiquiti's EdgeRouter but I am not sure how it will be better than the average ISP provided wireless router/modem combo though. Also, since I may be getting fiber optic, will it matter what router I use? 

Thanks

I would suggest looking at a different router than what your ISP gives you. I use a pfsense router and I LOVE IT you don't need anything to crazy, just a old PC will work great or if you want you can build a custom one too. 

5 minutes ago, JaredM54 said:

If your ISP will supply you with just a modem I would use that along with an Edgerouter X or Lite. The Edgeswitches are very nice as well, and will be great with the APs. I would recommend you look at the Ubiquiti AC line rather than the regular Unifi one. Ubiquiti also makes pretty good IP cameras as well as an NVR if you haven't decided on that yet.

What are the advantages of using an Edgerouter over the ISP issued modem/router combo? I'm thinking about using Synology's Surveillance Station to control my IP cameras. 

2 minutes ago, JaredM54 said:

If the one the ISP gives you works well for you then you might as well use it. My cable modem/router provided by the ISP continuously had problems, and the Edgerouter that replaced it has been up and running since.

I see. Also, could you recommend me some good brands for UPS's and PDU's ?

Well since the EdgeSwitch is rack mount, it would look nice if you got a Edgerouter for the aesthethics... then you should build a PC in a rack case and run Blue Iris for the IP cameras. Throw a rack mount NAS into the mix too.

On 16/03/2016 at 9:53 PM, beavo451 said:

Well since the EdgeSwitch is rack mount, it would look nice if you got a Edgerouter for the aesthethics... then you should build a PC in a rack case and run Blue Iris for the IP cameras. Throw a rack mount NAS into the mix too.

Definitely going to consider EdgeRouter for aesthetics.. Do you think Blue Iris is better than Synology's Surveillance app? Currently my choice is Synology's. Unfortunately the RS815+ doesn't support transcoding as well as the DS716+ does.. shame. 

3 hours ago, xmuffin32 said:

Definitely going to consider EdgeRouter for aesthetics.. Do you think Blue Iris is better than Synology's Surveillance app? Currently my choice is Synology's. Unfortunately the RS815+ doesn't support transcoding as well as the DS716+ does.. shame. 

No experience with Synology. I would go ahead and assume that Blue Iris will be better. Blue Iris is pretty resource intensive, but it is dedicated surveillance software with a ton of features. I suspect that Synology would be in the same class as QNAP's surveillance software, so I would not expect much.

I use the Synology Surveillance Station for my IP cameras (http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2032-I-Bullet-Security-Network/dp/B00G7GMEOG = amazing cameras for ~$100). I only have 2 at the moment but that works out good because my Synology only comes with 2 licenses (additional licenses aren't expensive though). I really like the Android app but I use a lot of the built in features in the camera and only use the Disk Station for recording/playback and the Android app.

I've never used Blue Iris but I know a few people who switched from Blue Iris to the Synology Surveillance Station and some who switched from Synology to Blue Iris and then back to Synology so I have no interest in trying our Blue Iris after talking with them. I honestly can't think of any feature Synology doesn't have that I'd want (and what Synology doesn't have the cameras do anyways).

-KuJoe

14 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I use the Synology Surveillance Station for my IP cameras (http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2032-I-Bullet-Security-Network/dp/B00G7GMEOG = amazing cameras for ~$100). I only have 2 at the moment but that works out good because my Synology only comes with 2 licenses (additional licenses aren't expensive though). I really like the Android app but I use a lot of the built in features in the camera and only use the Disk Station for recording/playback and the Android app.

I've never used Blue Iris but I know a few people who switched from Blue Iris to the Synology Surveillance Station and some who switched from Synology to Blue Iris and then back to Synology so I have no interest in trying our Blue Iris after talking with them. I honestly can't think of any feature Synology doesn't have that I'd want (and what Synology doesn't have the cameras do anyways).

Better yet. Blue Iris has a trial period. Download and form your own opinion about it.

5 minutes ago, beavo451 said:

Better yet. Blue Iris has a trial period. Download and form your own opinion about it.

Not necessary for me but maybe for the OP if he doesn't mind running another device (although if you're going to spend $400 on a device, I'd rather have it do everything for you).

-KuJoe

39 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Not necessary for me but maybe for the OP if he doesn't mind running another device (although if you're going to spend $400 on a device, I'd rather have it do everything for you).

I prefer dedicated devices.

Or you could do like the Linus videos and do Unraid with Blue Iris virtualized.

6 hours ago, KuJoe said:

Right now my first choice would be Synology's software since it would be more convenient for me to have everything in one place (storage, streaming and surveillance), although I will definitely look into Blue Iris. I'm still pretty sad about the RS815+ 's inferior transcoding versus something like the DS716+ though.. Would it be a good assumption that Synology will refresh their RS815 next year? Also, what do you mean by 2 licenses from Synology?

1 hour ago, xmuffin32 said:

Also, what do you mean by 2 licenses from Synology?

It looks like the DS716+ only comes with 2 licenses also. If you want to add more than 2 IP cameras to the Surveillance Station you'll need to buy more licenses. I just checked and it's $65 for 1 license now $370 for a pack of 8), that's a lot more expensive than I remember them but it's a one-time cost so it still might be worth it (for me it definitely would be).

-KuJoe

1 hour ago, KuJoe said:

It looks like the DS716+ only comes with 2 licenses also. If you want to add more than 2 IP cameras to the Surveillance Station you'll need to buy more licenses. I just checked and it's $65 for 1 license now $370 for a pack of 8), that's a lot more expensive than I remember them but it's a one-time cost so it still might be worth it (for me it definitely would be).

I think it is $55 for a single license on Amazon.

I get it if you really prefer a pre-built solution, but for the price of that Synology, you could build an excellent UnRAID box (Core i7) and virtualize Blue Iris. The i7 would have no issues transcoding. PCs are incredibly cheap when you don't need  a graphics card. Full version of Blue Iris is $60 and is licensed to up to 64 cameras.

Just something to really consider.

6 minutes ago, beavo451 said:

I get it if you really prefer a pre-built solution, but for the price of that Synology, you could build an excellent UnRAID box (Core i7) and virtualize Blue Iris.PCs are increibly cheap when you don't need  a graphics card. Full version of Blue Iris is $60 and is licensed to up to 64 cameras.

Yeah, I built a Dell R610 with 2x Xeon X5650s, 24GB of RAM, and 6x 300GB 15K SAS drives with hardware RAID for the price of the box and the licenses but for me the Synology CloudStation and the built in replication are invaluable to me. If I needed to do more, a custom box would be better but 2x 1-bay Synology NASes, a Raspberry Pi, and a good router basically handle everything I need at home so my R610 can be racked in a data center where I can't hear it and I don't have to pay the power bill. :)

-KuJoe

5 hours ago, beavo451 said:

I get it if you really prefer a pre-built solution, but for the price of that Synology, you could build an excellent UnRAID box (Core i7) and virtualize Blue Iris. The i7 would have no issues transcoding. PCs are incredibly cheap when you don't need  a graphics card. Full version of Blue Iris is $60 and is licensed to up to 64 cameras.

Hmm.. good point. Did not know about the licenses until now. UnRAID box sounds like a really good deal compared to the Synology. What kind of specs would be preferable for an UnRAID box to run Plex and Blue Iris + storage smoothly? I'm not a heavy user though. 

On 15/03/2016 at 5:03 AM, xmuffin32 said:

Hi friends,

I am currently in the process of drafting a network for my new house. Since it has three floors, I am planning to do some network drops and a few access points across the house, as well as wire up some IP cameras along with a NAS for storage, streaming and surveillance. Here is what I have so far:

Router: ISP router (not sure)

Switch: Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch (48 500W)

APs: Ubiquiti Unifi AP

NAS: Synology DS716+

IP Camera: not sure (maybe ~10 cameras)

I would also need a PDU and UPS. I'm thinking of also setting up a seperate VLAN for the cameras to isolate them and to also connect a wireless printer. I have chosen the DS716+ over a RS unit (RS815+) because of the video transcoding capabilities. Would this set up be alright? I am reading about Ubiquiti's EdgeRouter but I am not sure how it will be better than the average ISP provided wireless router/modem combo though. Also, since I may be getting fiber optic, will it matter what router I use? 

Thanks

What is your technical skill as far as networking goes? EdgeMax (EdgeRouter/EdgeSwitch) is not an easy beast to use.

8 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

What is your technical skill as far as networking goes? EdgeMax (EdgeRouter/EdgeSwitch) is not an easy beast to use.

I'm a beginner right now.. I'll probably be doing this next year though so I'm hoping to gain more knowledge before putting all of this together. 

1 hour ago, xmuffin32 said:

I'm a beginner right now.. I'll probably be doing this next year though so I'm hoping to gain more knowledge before putting all of this together. 

Then if you want to play with Ubiquiti, play with UniFi - don't touch EdgeMax :P

(P.S I'm an account manager for the biggest Ubiquiti distributor in Aus)

7 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Then if you want to play with Ubiquiti, play with UniFi - don't touch EdgeMax :P

(P.S I'm an account manager for the biggest Ubiquiti distributor in Aus)

Would I still be able to do things like VLANs (e.g. for security cameras) ? 

Edit: Yes they do. What are the main differences between the Unifi switch and the Edgeswitch?