PC For Mum

Angeal689

so my mums pc was on the verge of dying (some piece of crap off a shelf ) and i manage to convince my mum that i could build her a pc for half the price that it would cost her if she brought a prebuilt one from the store this is what i ended up building for her what do you think

Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual Core 

Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Corsair Vengence LPX 8GB DDR4-2400 Ram

These three parts were part of a combo

Kingston SSDNow V300 series 120GB SSD

Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive

Asus Strix GTX950 2GB OC

Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Case (Nice Case to build in apart from have to leave out 3 standoffs)

Corsair CS550M 80+ Gold PSU (had to get a replacement But second one seem to be going ok)

OS Windows 10 

LG 24X DVD Writer 

1 minute ago, Angeal689 said:

so my mums pc was on the verge of dying (some piece of crap off a shelf ) and i manage to convince my mum that i could build her a pc for half the price that it would cost her if she brought a prebuilt one from the store this is what i ended up building for her what do you think

Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual Core 

These three parts were part of a combo i manage to find online cost me $570NZD

Kingston SSDNow V300 series 120GB SSD

Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive

Asus Strix GTX950 2GB OC

Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Case (Nice Case to build in apart from have to leave out 3 standoffs)

Corsair CS550M 80+ Gold PSU (had to get a replacement But second one seem to be going ok)

OS Windows 10 

LG 24X DVD Writer 

with some extra software my mum wanted i think it cost about $1700NZD not to bad since my pc cost me $4000NZD

Very poor ssd choice. Otherwise, it was okay.

really i didnt think that ssd was that bad it has given me no issues as of yet 

I'm gonna go ahead and assume she just web browsesand edits document.

- Dont need Skylake.

- Dont need a 1TB HDD, just get a 500GB SSD.

- Don't need a GPU.

Some of these comments may not be accurate. Do tell us your mother's actual typical use of a computer.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

5 minutes ago, Angeal689 said:

dont get the v300, the samsung 850 evo is better

and get a reliable psu, really dont want a dead psu to bring down your whole computer with it tbh... worst part to skimp on

3 minutes ago, Angeal689 said:

buying v300 is like playing with lottery, some batch are fine some arent, it depends

i wouldnt use my data as a gamble chip, you might think otherwise

3 minutes ago, Crowes said:

Do tell us your mother's actual typical use of a computer.

she #360noscope #noobs on #CS:GO #MLG

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

the gpu is for a muilt screen setup 

the hardware i got was the best priced at the time alot of it was on sale and a 500GB ssd would cost me $300+NZD where as that HHD cost me $80NZD and while it is a everyday /Business pc i dont think i did to bad

1 minute ago, Angeal689 said:

the gpu is for a muilt screen setup 

the hardware i got was the best priced at the time alot of it was on sale and a 500GB ssd would cost me $300+NZD where as that HHD cost me $80NZD and while it is a everyday /Business pc i dont think i did to bad

The IGPU is enough for a multisetup assuming there is no gaming going to be done.

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

dont get the v300, the samsung 850 evo is better

and get a reliable psu, really dont want a dead psu to bring down your whole computer with it tbh... worst part to skimp on

buying v300 is like playing with lottery, some batch are fine some arent, it depends

i wouldnt use my data as a gamble chip, you might think otherwise

she #360noscope #noobs on #CS:GO #MLG

All the old V300 were fine, newer ones are the shit ones.

i will be upgrading the PSU some point soon it is basicly a placeholder untill i get some extra cash togeather and if the ssd give me any issues i will replace that at the moment it only has the os on it (that why i only get 120gb and a 1tb for storage) simlar to my setup i have a samsung ssd and a 2 tb harddive )

I would try change out the SSD to something slightly better and I'd drop the GPU, facebook machines don't need 950s.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

43 minutes ago, Angeal689 said:

i noticed your motherboard is DDR3 (notice the D3) and you chose ddr4 ram xD

thats why you should use pc part picker, it helps you check compatibility to a certain extent

33 minutes ago, Angeal689 said:

everyday /Business pc i dont think i did to bad

how bout this?

didnt know your exact budget

also, you can get windows by cheaper means :D

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list: http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/NCp2gs
Price breakdown by merchant: http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/NCp2gs/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($299.00 @ PC Force) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150N Phoenix-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($228.85 @ PB Technologies) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($82.23 @ Aquila Technology) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($167.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($85.00 @ PC Force) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 2GB OC Edition Video Card  ($262.99 @ Wiseguys) 
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($70.44 @ Ascent Technology) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($146.62 @ Ascent Technology) 
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer  ($31.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($171.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Total: $1544.13 (its in NZD)
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-16 01:33 NZDT+1300

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Don't get a video card if she is not gaming, it waste power and will never be used get a better cpu and if you want more displays get something like a 5450 it can have 3 displays on it. 

Buy my yoga 2 pro!  http://linustechtips.com/main/classifieds/item/2711-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-i7-4510u-8gb-ram-4k-btc-accepted/

[spoiler=Trumps Wall

]AMD FX 8320 OC@ 4.4 GHZ GPUamd sapphire 7950RAM: 12GB CORSAIR XMS3 Psu: Corsair cx 500m CASE: Corsair 800d MOBO: Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2 Storage: 256GB mx100 SSD, 1TB WD Blue,1tb Seagate Barracuda in Raid 0, 750GB Seagate Baracude. Os Windows 7
CPU: AMD A-10 5800k RAM: 4GB DDR3 Storage:Random drives Mobo:msi SomthingCase: good question   

Keep the Skylake platform.

Change the SSD, get something else.

Change the case. Get her something nice and sleek, none of those gamer tacky stuffs plastered all over it.

Your build will not be cheaper than a prebuilt, when the case takes a huge chunk out of it.

Here is a Dell prebuilt from their New Zealand site.

http://www.dell.com/nz/p/inspiron-3650-desktop/pd?oc=y211235nz&model_id=inspiron-3650-desktop

Specs:

Skylake Core i5

8GB

1TB

DVD-RW

Win10 Home

Free 19" monitor

$1,300NZD ($860 USD)

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

so um does your mom game? I mean GTX950 might be over kill for  web browsing and Facebook games. or is the secretly for you when you are at your moms?

SSD is ok but could do better 

I think get a corsair 100R and some decent low price fans to  go with it would be a better more mom friendly choice , unless shes a gamer .

if she isnt a gam,er drop that video card , use the on chip graphics get a Decent SSD for that price and a more mother approved case her friends  or siblings won't look at her like "what are you a teenager?"

edit: just thought about it with that card outta the way you can afford a core I5 6600 and save a bit more on the end.