How to best implement drain ports?

Go to solution Solved by ISOlated,

Yeah I am planning on doing hardline where you can actually see it and soft tubing for all the 'behind the mobo-tray' routing so I will probably just copy Jayztwocents's approach and split the soft tubes with a Y-Connector and put a plug similar to this one: https://www.caseking.de/bitspower-absperrhahn-1-4-zoll-shiny-black-wazu-234.html (Yeah sorry it's German :P)

So I am currently laying out some watercooling plans for different builds I am thinking about, but I haven't come up with anything really useful in terms of draining the loops yet. I don't know if it would be better to just use a Y-Splitter at some point with a quick disconnect fitting on it like Jay or put an "actual" drain ports beneath the reservoirs like PerformancePCs did here: 

(at 3:30 or so) So how did/would You implement a drain port(s)?

As always, I'm looking forward to hearing from anyone, thanks for tips and advice! 

Drain port is on the right of the res tucked up behind the radiator.

Spoiler

Kraken-loop.thumb.jpg.1ffd989994d2a3474a

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

1 minute ago, Benji_w said:

Drain port is on the right of the res tucked up behind the radiator.

Reveal hidden contents

Kraken-loop.thumb.jpg.1ffd989994d2a3474a

So did You put a port there like the guy in the vid?

2 minutes ago, ISOlated said:

So did You put a port there like the guy in the vid?

The port is already there in the res.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

3 minutes ago, Benji_w said:

The port is already there in the res.

Yeah I think I see it now. 

Just make sure it's the lowest point of the loop.

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

4 minutes ago, shawn finkenstead said:

Just make sure it's the lowest point of the loop.

Good thing You brought that one up, would've forgotten it :^)

1 minute ago, ISOlated said:

Good thing You brought that one up, would've forgotten it :^)

God knows I did about 2 weeks ago and made it a pain to drain the loop.

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

2 minutes ago, shawn finkenstead said:

God knows I did about 2 weeks ago and made it a pain to drain the loop.

Been draining loops without drain ports, it's piss easy, don't see all the problems so long as you have multiport rads, if you don't then a drain will make life easier. If my loop didn't have a drain I would just remove the PSU and put a jug under the GPU and pull the tubing off. Simple.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Been draining loops without drain ports, it's piss easy, don't see all the problems so long as you have multiport rads, if you don't then a drain will make life easier. If my loop didn't have a drain I would just remove the PSU and put a jug under the GPU and pull the tubing off. Simple.

Remove the psu is what I did. But it can get messy. It's just that much easier with a drain or Multi Port Rads(Don't have any).

2 minutes ago, shawn finkenstead said:

Remove the psu is what I did. But it can get messy. It's just that much easier with a drain or Multi Port Rads(Don't have any).

If you have hardline tubing then yea drain is the best option but if it's soft like mine its mega easy and I've done if over the past 2 years with no issues.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

If you have hardline tubing then yea drain is the best option but if it's soft like mine its mega easy and I've done if over the past 2 years with no issues.

Even with a drain though you still have to Blow through the tubes to get the blocks empty if you don't plan on removing everything to empty them. With hard tubes anyway. Never done a soft tube loop so not sure how much different it is.

3 minutes ago, shawn finkenstead said:

Even with a drain though you still have to Blow through the tubes to get the blocks empty if you don't plan on removing everything to empty them. With hard tubes anyway. Never done a soft tube loop so not sure how much different it is.

I just used to tip the case tbh as blowing invites bacteria and stuff into the loop and blocks. I build loops with multiple ports and stuff so I don't usually fall fowl drainage issues.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

I just use a valve connected to a 3 port adapter. The valve is additionaly plugged with a standart 1/4 cap. If i need to drain the loop i can just connect a fitting to the valve and drain everything without problems.

Yeah I am planning on doing hardline where you can actually see it and soft tubing for all the 'behind the mobo-tray' routing so I will probably just copy Jayztwocents's approach and split the soft tubes with a Y-Connector and put a plug similar to this one: https://www.caseking.de/bitspower-absperrhahn-1-4-zoll-shiny-black-wazu-234.html (Yeah sorry it's German :P)