The most overkill or unbalanced PC setups you have seen?

asim1999
On 3/14/2016 at 3:07 PM, asim1999 said:

What PC setups/builds have you seen that are either overkill for the intended purpose or very unbalanced

Take me for example, i recently received a 980 Ti from NVIDIA and i am rocking a 10 year old Dell Monitor that is not even 1080p. On the other hand, i am going to be using the card more for folding than gaming. 

I have an old TFT monitor from Toshiba that operates at a 1024x768 resolution. I got it from Good Will and surprisingly there are no issues with it whatsoever. (Aside from the stand being screwed up because of my own blunder)

As far as PC's go, my mom's boyfriend has an old Dell Dimension with 1 GB Ram, and a very weak celeron I believe. I shoved a Radeon HD 5450 into it because his original graphics card died and it didn't help at all as far as speed when gaming goes. xD

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

On 3/15/2016 at 6:43 AM, VerticalDiscussions said:

Still, doesnt justify the fact that it isnt compatible! No excuse! Admit it :D

Which other parts aren't compatible? the only other pc parts picker states is the usb 3.0 header and the pc will work without it.

2 minutes ago, Woonatic said:

-snip-

I was just trying to imply that somehow you got mistaken and included a 32 bit system without wanting too. If you didnt, fine, but the operating system doesnt really live to the hype of underbalanced, since we all love piracy :). But!, i dont do it. I swear on my toes! Not anymore at least :D

Groomlake Authority

My memory is a bit rusty, but way back in the Pentium 4 days, I built a dual Xeon 2.4 system, which with a pin mod (small wire into socket holes shorting out bus speed select pins) ran at 3.2 GHz. With hyper threading, for 4 threads. This is way before the days of multi-core. To go with this, I had a 6800 Ultra. This is the card that was often joked about for its noisy cooler. No problem for me, I watercooled the lot. It constantly leaked and I lost count the number of times I saw fizzing blue liquid on the back of the card, at which point I extracted it, rinsed it under a tap and allow to dry.

And what did I end up using it for? A file server...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

486 with a Voodoo

Them FPU for games like Quake...they wanted you to have a Pentium..

I have a 980ti with an Fx 8350. I'm using it as a placeholder until I can get my hands on a 6700k.

Spoiler

Gtx 980ti | Amd Fx-8350 | 2x8g Kingston Hyperx Fury | Samsung 850 evo |

It was mine when I first took the leap to 4k.

I was previously using:

i5 2500k @ 3.2 Ghz OverClocked to 4.2 Ghz. was liquid cooled and stable

8GB ddr3 @ 1600 Mhz

GTX 560ti

some older Gigabyte motherboard. I dont remember exactly, but it was nothing special. supported what I had at the time.

650W PS

Dual SSD Raid0 OS

other things that don't really matter

So when I upgraded the PC for 4k, I put it all into the Video card.

I bought an r9 295x2, a 1000W PS, and a samsung 4k monitor. I didn't consider upgrading anything else. not even the case that was almost an airtight oven.

It actually did just fine, but thinking back, I was using a

$36 basic case (I actually had to cut out the HDD cage to make room for the card)

$150 motherboard/cpu combo.

Obsolete RAM

and a $1700 video card.

It just sounds clumsy

Heat was a really big issue, and I had researched and debated for a long time weather my liquid coolers should be intake or exhaust. Eventually I settled on exhaust, which in the beginning I didn't want by any means. But quickly discovered that by having the liquid coolers exhaust the heat of the hottest components of the computer, the other intake fans did a marvelous job at keeping the inside of the case cool. But not cool enough in my opinion. The basic case was cluttered with cables and regret. I needed a new case.

Eventually I came to my senses and upgraded everything else. my current rig: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RKN8Vn

I went through a few cases before deciding on the 760t. The corsair carbide 560 was my next choice, and was actually better for cooling, but the 760t was just sexy as all hell. But for about a month, I was rocking the ghetto-est 4k rig out there.

AMD FX6300 with GTX 980Ti SLI, yes it exists and the guy games at 4K....

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi