sync server software

Jarf10

Hi guys,

I really hope you can help me. I want to make a fileserver out of my old computer and I know there are tons of solutions for that online. But I want to sync my documents automatically to the server. And I dont want to give any other user permission to change the folders and files I only want to let them read it. I don't know how to search exactly for that. 

Hopefully you guys can help!

Greetz

PS. I only have 4 gb of ram hope that is not a problem

If I delete something by accident or someone else is on the fileserver the data would be gone. 

And I dont have to change those files I only need to work with it sometimes.

25 minutes ago, Jarf10 said:

Hi guys,

I really hope you can help me. I want to make a fileserver out of my old computer and I know there are tons of solutions for that online. But I want to sync my documents automatically to the server. And I dont want to give any other user permission to change the folders and files I only want to let them read it. I don't know how to search exactly for that. 

Hopefully you guys can help!

Greetz

PS. I only have 4 gb of ram hope that is not a problem

Simply to sync: Bittorrent Sync

Making sure that every file remains on the backup server, even when deleted on the source : Crashplan and other backup tools.

There's a difference between a sync and a backup.

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

Well the sync solution is great but both computers need to run. I saw freenas introduced bitorrent sync. as plugin but freenas recommend 8gb of ram. Are there better solutions out there?

For me it would benefit to download at school, homeworkfiles on my homedesktop. My desktop is off at that moment so I want to save those files onto a NAS. 

I am just searching for a way that if my computer failes my NAS has covered the latest data it could see. I am sure there are solutions for that but I am just unexperienced and hope you guys can give me a little advice. 

Just use this and setup scheduled tasks to automate it.

http://www.freefilesync.org/

If you want to go further than your original question, you could redirect your documents folders to actually point to the file server, that mitigates the need to copy it.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications