Windows 8 & Windows Defender

DePhoegon

I've honestly yet to find a solid review anywhere on how good the included windows defender is in Windows 8.

I'm only starting to worry & question it now because the program suite I was using.. hasn't received an update in a while & that bothers me enough to resort to windows firewall & Windows defender as they've been actively updated. (Keeping an entire suite for a firewall is a bit wasteful for me.

Windows 8 Defender = Windows Security Essential.

As it is part of the OS, As soon as Windows 8 will become popular, it will be the most used A/V. Virus/Malware maker will be able to develop their thing to go around Windows built-in anti-virus to not be detected. Hence it will turn to be crap.

Microsoft included an anti-virus, to have SOMETHING, over people that are using expired version of Norton or MaCafee or whatever trial version that came with their system.

See, in the near future, Windows Security Essential / Windows 8 Defender, as not a great solution to be depended on, but better than nothing.

Windows Firewall is independence from Windows Defender. If you have your prefer Anti-Virus solution, you can disable Windows 8 Defender (well your A/V ill disable Defender for you).