AMD Plans to Release Their Own 7990

EChondo

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/30539-amd-working-on-malta-dual-chip-card

It looks like AMD is not done with HD 7000 series Radeons and it will introduce a few new products this year.

We have heard from multiple sources now that AMD is working on a card codenamed Malta. The Malta is a dual-chip card and we are not sure if it is based on Tahiti like HD 7990 cards. The Malta card should have a clock well over 1GHz and should become the fastest offering from AMD. It should also be available to more than a few partners.

This card should come in the next few months but some of our sources do indicate that the card will launch soon. AMD probably wants to see the real world performance of Nvidia’s Geforce Titan and then follow up with its new card.

These GPUs will likely beat the 1050MHz that Asus delivers with its dual-chip water cooled ASUS ARES2-6GD5, 2x Radeon HD 7970 card, but we still don’t know whether it will outpace NV’s Titan SLI.

The launch of the card is expected in the first half of 2013, but we don’t have a better date than that. AMD is adjusting a lot of its launch schedules. We have learned that AMD’s decision to push back the HD 8000 series launch is tactical and not technical in nature. We will try to learn more about it this week.

Pretty exciting stuff, hope it's priced cheap so it can bring prices down! :D

Malta sounds pretty badass then if it surpasses the Asus Ares II.

It will probably be at least $1000, so only for enthusiasts I guess.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

That's ridiculous, it won't be faster than the ARES II unless it's a next gen card branded under the 7000 series name, they might use two 7870 chips or two 7870 XT chips to achieve this high of an overclock without the need to use exotic cooling methods.

In best case scenarios it'll be as good as a regular 7990 but much cheaper.

no thanks. i want a 7970XT, single core monster GPU under $400.

Intel i5 (1155 Sandy) Quad Core @4.3Ghz + Antec 25 Kuhler 620 | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 | Asus P67 Sabertooth | AMD Radeon Sapphire HD7970 Vapor-X 6Gb | CoolerMaster StormTrooper | Corsair TX850M 850w | Western Digital 500Gb Caviar Blue + 1.5Tb Caviar Black + 2Tb Caviar Green | Samsung 27" LED Monitor SA550 1920x1080 | Samsung 40" LED TV 5003 Series 1920x1080 | Creative SB X-fi Xtreme Music | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Razer DeathStalker Expert | Razer DeathAdder 2013 | CH Flightstick Pro | Logitech Driving Force GT

That's ridiculous' date=' it won't be faster than the ARES II unless it's a next gen card branded under the 7000 series name, they might use two 7870 chips or two 7870 XT chips to achieve this high of an overclock without the need to use exotic cooling methods. In best case scenarios it'll be as good as a regular 7990 but much cheaper.[/quote']

So...it's a 7890? :P

I wouldn't mind a 7890, but I would love to see a 7990 first before going to a lower end chip.

Doubt that'd happen. 7990s are similar in nature to the 690, where the 690 is 2 680s but clocked down, 7990s are 2 680s but clocked down. The ASUS Ares II is 2 FULL 7970 GPUs. Maybe if they can push that in their version of the 7990, then it MIGHT be able to do so. But the fact that ASUS completely customized the Ares II for the ultimate performance possible, the chances are pretty slim.

That's ridiculous' date=' it won't be faster than the ARES II unless it's a next gen card branded under the 7000 series name, they might use two 7870 chips or two 7870 XT chips to achieve this high of an overclock without the need to use exotic cooling methods. In best case scenarios it'll be as good as a regular 7990 but much cheaper.[/quote'] So...it's a 7890? :P I wouldn't mind a 7890, but I would love to see a 7990 first before going to a lower end chip.

The numbers from Wikipedia indicate that it will be a 7870 XT x2 card , so yeah probably a 7890 XT or something like that.

Yeah, it sounds all well and good, there are little profit margins in high end products geared to gamers. I don't think this card is necessary at all :/ they've milked current gen cards enough, i'm contempt with waiting till something actually new comes out.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

That's ridiculous' date=' it won't be faster than the ARES II unless it's a next gen card branded under the 7000 series name, they might use two 7870 chips or two 7870 XT chips to achieve this high of an overclock without the need to use exotic cooling methods. In best case scenarios it'll be as good as a regular 7990 but much cheaper.[/quote'] So...it's a 7890? :P I wouldn't mind a 7890, but I would love to see a 7990 first before going to a lower end chip.
The numbers from Wikipedia indicate that it will be a 7870 XT x2 card , so yeah probably a 7890 XT or something like that.

A 7890 would be great! A 3590K would be great too :P

A 7890 would be great! A 3590K would be great too :P

like a 4ghz 3570k out the box? that'd be sweet

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

,If it's a 7990 card I wouldn't be surprised it's as fast as ARES II. Yeah, generally they downclock these things to stay within a power or temperature envelope (default temp for Titan is 80 C, so that's what you'd want to be aiming for) but my bet is they'll leave the Tahiti GHz cores stock so they're beating Titan in (almost) everything with the same price point (or lower?). Just bin them well, lower volts, temp, power draw, higher OCs. Interested to find out.

Club3D has released the HD7990. Here's a link to their page: http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/radeon-hd-7990-dual-gpu.html

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Not sure where you got your information from but a 7990 is two 7970s not two 680s.