Need Help Deciding which server to buy

Reflow

4 hours ago, JaredM54 said:

Without a doubt the R710. All of those older Poweredges are terrible for home use. (sound like a jet engine and use as much energy as an air conditioner)

How loud can they get? 

3 minutes ago, Danielh90 said:

How loud can they get? 

Like so loud that you don't want to be in the same room. My brother and I have one of those old dual Xeon Dell Poweredges and it's not worth putting any time or money into. 

We're looking at replacing it with dual Xeon x5460s, basically building it with part from ebay and using the old computer case. If you do decide to build a server, be very careful picking out your parts. Do lots of research into EVERY part before you buy it. Just because it has 4 dimms doesn't mean that you can put 32GB of ram in it... we learned that the hard way.

1 minute ago, MightyMic said:

Like so loud that you don't want to be in the same room. My brother and I have one of those old dual Xeon Dell Poweredges and it's not worth putting any time or money into. 

We're looking at replacing it with dual Xeon x5460s, basically building it with part from ebay and using the old computer case. If you do decide to build a server, be very careful picking out your parts. Do lots of research into EVERY part before you buy it. Just because it has 4 dimms doesn't mean that you can put 32GB of ram in it... we learned that the hard way.

oh ok. so if you puted your server in your basement could you hear it? 

3 minutes ago, Danielh90 said:

oh ok. so if you puted your server in your basement could you hear it? 

No, but the server we have wouldn't be able to run two vm's. It just wan't powerful enough.

One thing I've learned/realized is that when you're buying something, get the best thing you can get for how much money you're willing to spend. Otherwise you're going to be sorely disappointed with your pc/server/laptop/etc.

Also, read about virtualizing FreeNAS. FreeNAS works best with direct access to the disks it uses. If you run FreeNAS in a vm it loses a lot of the benefits it has over other OS's

4 hours ago, JaredM54 said:

The R710 is incredibly quiet for a rack mount server. It's about as loud as a normal desktop when not under load.

Oh ok Thx

You can't run FreeNAS in a VM - you can run the older version, but you risk all your data.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

ok most of the options are bad, didnt know freenas didnt work on a VM, 

so i am better off making a workstation computer,  get a workstation motherboard that supports ecc ram and get an i7?

whats the best alternative to freenas that would work on a vm , since i would like to also run a web server 

thanks for all the suggestions :D