Titan x sli or 980ti sli?

dark_xzyph3r

Hi all, I am thinking of a build that I am wanting to buy when I graduate (2 months) and was wondering what would be the best GPU for playing games on 3x 3440x1440? I am looking at 2x titan x and 2x 980ti but I heard that the r9 390 is pretty good too..

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

980TI is the strongest gaming GPU out right now. It will beat both the 390 and Titan X. Titan X really makes no sense for a gaming build. I wouldn't expect to game at 10320x1440p though...

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

2 minutes ago, dark_xzyph3r said:

Hi all, I am thinking of a build that I am wanting to buy when I graduate (2 months) and was wondering what would be the best GPU for playing games on 3x 3440x1440? I am looking at 2x titan x and 2x 980ti but I heard that the r9 390 is pretty good too..

In 2 months time Polaris/Pascal will be close so I would wait. Also 980ti/Titan are leagues ahead of 390

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

The 980ti DESTROYS the R9 390.... A 980ti SLI will be all of 95% of a Titan X SLI. One thing to keep in mind is that SLI does not stack the Vram from both cards, so a titan x sli will have 12gb and a 980ti sli will have 6gb. it really all comes down to if you want to spend $1300 or $2000.

Current Build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.6, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz 8gb (2x4gb), GTX 980ti, NZXT Kraken X61, Fractal Define R5  EVGA Supernova B2 850w, Some 300gb hard drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W7CNrH

1 minute ago, Dr_Pleeper said:

The 980ti DESTROYS the R9 390.... A 980ti SLI will be all of 95% of a Titan X SLI. One thing to keep in mind is that SLI does not stack the Vram from both cards, so a titan x sli will have 12gb and a 980ti sli will have 6gb. it really all comes down to if you want to spend $1300 or $2000.

2 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

980TI is the strongest gaming GPU out right now. It will beat both the 390 and Titan X. With that said, the 390 isn't a slouch. Titan X really makes no sense for a gaming build.

But what about vram? Would really need the 12GB for 3x 3440x1440 in surround? Or could I get by with just what a 980ti has?

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

Just now, dark_xzyph3r said:

But what about vram? Would really need the 12GB for 3x 3440x1440 in surround? Or could I get by with just what a 980ti has?

Sorry, I updated my original post to further clarify that. You're going to run out of processing power before you hit VRAM issues. You're not going to be maxing out any game at that resolution with just 2 cards. I would look at a ultrawide 1440p display instead.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    

titan X would be the better choice for high resolution gaming, since the 12GB could finally stretch its legs.

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pleeper said:

A non-reference 980TI will beat Titan X every time... That's why the Titan X doesn't make sense anymore for gaming.

1 minute ago, WarWeeny said:

titan X would be the better choice for high resolution gaming, since the 12GB could finally stretch its legs.

You're going to run out of processing power way before VRAM becomes a problem at that resolution.

1 minute ago, Kryptyx said:

A non-reference 980TI will beat Titan X every time... That's why the Titan X doesn't make sense anymore for gaming.

You're going to run out of processing power way before VRAM becomes a problem at that resolution.

at least Vram isn't an issue :P

With the cost of SLI 980ti's you could actually buy 3 980ti's which would cost around $1800-1900 where 2 Titans would cost around $1900-2000. Three 980ti's might be a better choice, however not optimal either for 3x 3840x1440.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

5 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

Sorry, I updated my original post to further clarify that. You're going to run out of processing power before you hit VRAM issues. You're not going to be maxing out any game at that resolution with just 2 cards. I would look at a ultrawide 1440p display instead.

That's what 3440x1440p displays are :P

13 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

980TI is the strongest gaming GPU out right now. It will beat both the 390 and Titan X. Titan X really makes no sense for a gaming build. I wouldn't expect to game at 10320x1440p though...

Will my blower-style 980ti SC beat a Titan x?

Current Build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.6, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz 8gb (2x4gb), GTX 980ti, NZXT Kraken X61, Fractal Define R5  EVGA Supernova B2 850w, Some 300gb hard drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W7CNrH

That's what 3440x1440p displays are :P

Derp, didn't realize.

Yeah no way you're running 3 of them with anything on the market right now. Even 4 way SLI wouldn't keep up.

1 minute ago, Dr_Pleeper said:

Will my blower-style 980ti SC beat a Titan x?

Reference card? It depends on how far it can OC. Most likely not.

1 minute ago, Kryptyx said:

Derp, didn't realize.

Yeah no way you're running 3 of them with anything on the market right now. Even 4 way SLI wouldn't keep up.

Well what if I was to say run everything on medium-high? I remember that the ncix channel did 3x 4k on 4 titans.. So shouldn't I beable to accomplish what I want with 2 titans?

Wait for next gen so hard. 980ti wins, but a 390 is close to half the price, so it can't really be expected to compare. 390 does do well at higher res though so it would win on price/perf. With dual 980ti's you might hit 45FPS with a good SLI profile, but probably not past that (980ti gets 94 avg on BF4 *2/3 ~= 62 but SLI doesn't scale, and that's on BF4 which is not the most difficult FPS to run.)

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

2 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

Derp, didn't realize.

I dunno, I saw a guy running Source games on triple 4K monitors on a couple of 980Tis, so... Depending on the game, it could be viable.

But in any case, I'd wait for the next gen cards...

Just now, KemoKa said:

I dunno, I saw a guy running Source games on triple 4K monitors on a couple of 980Tis, so... Depending on the game, it could be viable.

Good point.  What games would you play>

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

6 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

With the cost of SLI 980ti's you could actually buy 3 980ti's which would cost around $1800-1900 where 2 Titans would cost around $1900-2000. Three 980ti's might be a better choice, however not optimal either for 3x 3840x1440.

Not 3840x1440, I am running 3440x1440 :P

Not 3840x1440, I am running 3440x1440 :P

Regardless, point stands- you could possibly get three 980ti's for roughly the same price and have better overall performance.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

3 minutes ago, KemoKa said:

Oh yeah, it would definitely depend on the game. I was talking about modern AAA games. Another thing to consider is what games will actually even support that resolution. Right now, some games have problem supporting a single 21:9 display let alone 3.

Just now, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Regardless, point stands- you could possibly get three 980ti's for roughly the same price and have better overall performance.

Alright, I might do that depending on if new cards get released when I buy parts or not.. I bet that the day after I buy my parts the new cards come out :P

Alright, I might do that depending on if new cards get released when I buy parts or not.. I bet that the day after I buy my parts the new cards come out :P

You could always wait, however that means you'll be waiting forever. Just buy a GPU now.

6 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

You could always wait, however that means you'll be waiting forever. Just buy a GPU now.

8 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

Oh yeah, it would definitely depend on the game. I was talking about modern AAA games. Another thing to consider is what games will actually even support that resolution. Right now, some games have problem supporting a single 21:9 display let alone 3.

10 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

Good point.  What games would you play>

So this is what I'm looking at.. This build is a split $1000 cheaper since I removed the titans.. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Z7xyc