Windows Server 2012 or Ubunutu Server

Windows Server 2012 or Ubuntu Server  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Windows Server 2012 or Ubuntu Server

• Windows Server 2012
    • Ubuntu Server

I'm trying to decided on what to put on my server should I put Windows Server 2012 or Ubuntu Server? (I know how to use both) 

I'd say Windows Server just because (entirely IMO) it's more flexible, easier to use, and just works better for me.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just now, BlazingBullets said:

what are you doing on it?

Hosting Minecraft server's teamspeak servers and some storage stuff? 

Just now, Danielh90 said:

Hosting Minecraft server's teamspeak servers and some storage stuff? 

windows will be easier to do.

Ubuntu will allow better future usage.

If you have separate drives then install what even you want. Or even just partition your drives to have different OS and storage sections.

This will allow for better future compatibility if you want to switch OS.

1 minute ago, BlazingBullets said:

windows will be easier to do.

Ubuntu will allow better future usage.

If you have separate drives then install what even you want. Or even just partition your drives to have different OS and storage sections.

This will allow for better future compatibility if you want to switch OS.

Ok Thank you. When I get the server I will be installing ubuntu I think and just be playing around with the minecraft servers's and little down the road look up the storage part. 

Ok Thank you. When I get the server I will be installing ubuntu I think and just be playing around with the minecraft servers's and little down the road look up the storage part. 

how many drives you got?

it's just simply "mount /dev/sdX (folder)"

then update it in the fstab.

Just now, BlazingBullets said:

how many drives you got?

it's just simply "mount /dev/sdX (folder)"

then update it in the fstab.

two drives. 

1 minute ago, yarn said:

Linux will be more stable.

Ok Yeah I would have to buy windows server 2012.

2 minutes ago, BlazingBullets said:

What size and ssd or hdd?

It's hdd and its  146  GB both I believe

It's hdd and its  146  GB both I believe

dame, thats some old drives.

if I were you I would half the first drive into 50+50 Ubuntu and Windows.

Then format the second dirve as NTFS (not ext4) then mount it in both OSs.

With UEFI you can switch to each one faster. So do that if your motherboard can handle it.

5 minutes ago, BlazingBullets said:

What size and ssd or hdd?

Yeah atleast I get two of them :) I think I'm upgrading them later on the road. 

Second drive for storage and server OFC. and other things you can share such as music or films.

You could configure your partitions as LVM and then expand the volumes up to 1.8T when space becomes tight... not that you'd ever get to 1.8T but if you do there are other options you can take.

Also data migration to new servers is pretty straightforward, can be done with an rsync to the new disk/server if it comes to it.

1 minute ago, yarn said:

You could configure your partitions as LVM and then expand the volumes up to 1.8T when space becomes tight... not that you'd ever get to 1.8T but if you do there are other options you can take.

Also data migration to new servers is pretty straightforward, can be done with an rsync to the new disk/server if it comes to it.

LVM gets real nasty quick for me win7.

not sure about win10, but 7 refused to see it and even offered me the format it nearly every boot up for me.

LVM gets real nasty quick for me win7.

not sure about win10, but 7 refused to see it and even offered me the format it nearly every boot up for me.

Volume spanning on windows is apples to oranges on Linux.  LVM is very stable, I host a samba server for my data and the samba share is on LVM in ext4 filesystem.  

Just now, yarn said:

Volume spanning on windows is apples to oranges on Linux.  LVM is very stable, I host a samba server for my data and the samba share is on LVM in ext4 filesystem.  

if OP just wants Ubuntu than great. But I doubt he will want to and will want to share files eventually anyway.

LVM does work very well if you are only using Linux, but I usually just stick to solid partition for peace of mind. 

if OP just wants Ubuntu than great. But I doubt he will want to and will want to share files eventually anyway.

LVM does work very well if you are only using Linux, but I usually just stick to solid partition for peace of mind. 

I believe OP said he is doing Ubuntu per cost of Windows Server.  File sharing between linux -> windows is easy and better when it comes to a set and forget solution imo.