mid range z170 or high end?

My friend is about to build a new 6600k rig that he wants to last a few years.

He is planning to get the 6600k now and then a 7700k or what ever the last supported i7 for socket 1151 will be.

Jumping from the decent to the best.

But he wants to know if it'll be better getting a midrange board now Z170, and then upgrade when he gets the i7.

Or get a high end board now and keep it for the i7.

The boards he are thinking of are

ASUS Z170-A

and

ASUS Z170-Deluxe

Or should he get a high mid range board like ROG 8 Ranger?

I honestly don't even bother with high end boards. Find a nice mid range that does what you'll need for the computer's lifespan and keep it. If you really want a high end get it now (no reason to upgrade) but I think mid range is more than enough.

18 minutes ago, BlazingBullets said:

My friend is about to build a new 6600k rig that he wants to last a few years.

He is planning to get the 6600k now and then a 7700k or what ever the last supported i7 for socket 1151 will be.

Jumping from the decent to the best.

But he wants to know if it'll be better getting a midrange board now Z170, and then upgrade when he gets the i7.

Or get a high end board now and keep it for the i7.

The boards he are thinking of are

ASUS Z170-A

and

ASUS Z170-Deluxe

Or should he get a high mid range board like ROG 8 Ranger?

Tell him to skip Z170 and build X99. Gaming is going to want cores when DX12 hits, also an overclocked 5820k is pretty much on par with a 6700k with +2 cores. This should save some money in the long run + Broadwell-E will be X99

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

2 hours ago, stealth80 said:

Tell him to skip Z170 and build X99. Gaming is going to want cores when DX12 hits, also an overclocked 5820k is pretty much on par with a 6700k with +2 cores. This should save some money in the long run + Broadwell-E will be X99

The motherboards that sport a x99 here in the UK cost at least £160 for even the lowest end boards. Plus the 5820k is £120 more than the 6600k.

Costing  about £200+++ more if he just went with a 6600k and z170?

Would this be worth the  long term pricing? even with USB type C now coming out. And the cheapest board with that is  £250+.

I'm in the UK and wish I had gone X99 when I considered it when grabbing my 4790k,I only didn't cause everyone at the time was like "X99 is for CPU tasks" blah blah blah ... dammit lol.

It would cost more now yes for sure, but if hes already considering upgrading it may be worth biting the bullet now

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P