Case fan(s) delima

Go to solution Solved by KettyKoala,

I'd say the NF-A14's really are worth the money, they're so so quiet, and move quite a lot of air, while having a high static pressure, meaning they're good for radiators, and will move air through your hard drive cages pretty well! The fact that they have a high CFM means that the fans don't need to spin up as much to get a high airflow, and even when hey do ramp up, it's hardly noticable

See a lot of recommendation posts and feel bad starting a new one but I suppose everyone has their own parameters and such.

I have a switch 810 with a "dying" fan, tried to remount it just in case. When PC starts up it's horribly loud, can wait a little bit, put the computer to sleep and wake it back up (or likely use fan software to lower and raise speed) and it's relatively normal. Primarily seems effected by the cold. Can also just pop off the top of the case and tap it a couple times (what I use to do). It will be warming up soon and not likely an issue for much longer but I wanted to get it fixed so my search began. I've went through a lot of reviews and am still having an issue deciding. Was going to simply order a NF-A14 PWM and then call it good. Started to think about replacing all the fans / adding some though. I don't think it's even necessary as the computer doesn't even run hot though I still like the idea. This leads into fan controllers as now my fans (stock) are all lead into the block that comes with the case supporting 6 3-pin into a molex. I have an "older board" Crosshair V Formula-Z but it of course has other fan headers that I am thinking of using over having them all in the one block. That way I can work with the speeds through Fan Xpert. Sorry this is getting drug out let me try to turn it into bullets.

Need 1 fan: Might as well get a NF-A14 PWM

Want: Everything!

• Fan models in question (4-10x 140mm):
  1. Yate Loon D14SH (With fan controller how does performance / sound change compared to others?)
  2. Yate Loon D14SM (Thinking best bet)
  3. alpenfoehn (recently heard of, haven't looked into)
  4. CFD140 (Cougar)
  5. NF-A14 PWM (Is the price worth?)
  6. Feel free to recommend & discus others

• Hardware fan controller, is it worth with software out nowadays?
  1. Lamptron FC5V2
  2. NZXT Sentry 3 (NZXT AC-SEN-3-B1)
  3. Lamptron FC5 v3

After going over the LED fans and controllers that could work with led strips I started thinking about jazzing it up a bit yet again but that's a whole different topic just note it was a plus towards the fan controller though motherboards seem to be coming with nice LED headers and software now.

End all I don't want regrets as it seems I am slowly replacing my entire setup and half tempted to just build a whole new rig but haven't convinced myself yet. My mother board keeps bringing me new error codes. My SSD already had to be replaced,  I need to do memtest after I finish this post, was just trying to buy fans before I did but eh. Got new audio setup, desk(s), chair, mouse, mouse pad, webcam and more in the last couple months. Have a new monitor coming in that will likely force me to swap out my gpu and psu ... how do people keep up, I'm half tempted to go back to my console? Also Phanteks PH-TC14PE for what it's worth.

I'd say the NF-A14's really are worth the money, they're so so quiet, and move quite a lot of air, while having a high static pressure, meaning they're good for radiators, and will move air through your hard drive cages pretty well! The fact that they have a high CFM means that the fans don't need to spin up as much to get a high airflow, and even when hey do ramp up, it's hardly noticable

i5-6600k @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair H110i GTX + 2 x Noctua NF-A14's | ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger | 

Corsair Venegance DDR4 8GB | ASUS GTX 970 Strix |Samsung 840 EVO 240GB + 1TB HDD | 

Corsair RM850 | NZXT H440 Black | 2 x Noctua NF-F12 + Corsair AF-140

noctua has my vote.

but i would not recommend the NZXT Sentry 3 if it is anything like the Sentry 2 which i used a year or two back... the touchscreen was not responsive, setting anything quickly was a pain - a lot of clicking selecting fans, setting speeds and it would reset if it wasnt plugged into the wall (the pc of course) it is not worth it. If you are set on a fan controller go for one of the Lamptrons just because of the physical knobs.

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

If I went for the Noctura's I was probably going to replace them 2 at a time. The Yate Loon I was just going to storm and fill all the spaces with at once as price allows it. I was starting to lean towards the leds kinda just cause but I see the practicality and performance being higher than glam if you will. My main issue was people claiming the other fans are around 95% performance of the Noctura's, When I can get 10 of those for $70 and that only gets 3 Noc's left me teetering. I appreciate the quick responses.Suppose I shouldn't of second guessed myself. Still don't want to swallow the pill but guess it is the crème de la crème!

I once used like 7 fans that cost 8€ a piece loud as all hell i got rid of them so fast  

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

*Sigh* guess no reason to skimp on fans with the price of everything else that ends up in builds. Just ordered the Noctua's (NF-A14 PWM). Thanks again.