Which ND Filter set should i get?

Hey guys, I have been looking at the cokin z-pro filter set (becasue of price) for my tokina 11-16, are there any other good brands(not lees) that are in the price range of the cokins? (about $180-$200 for a set) Thanks

HiTech Formatt (or Formatt HiTech) Filters are a good brand, I feel that they are better than Cokin.

After that there is LEE systems.  I have experience with both Formatt HiTech and LEE, with LEE being my favorite.  LEE and Formatt HiTech can be compatible with each other.

SinghRay, Schneider and Heliopan are also good, but they tend to be more expensive.

Which filters do you need?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

4 minutes ago, ALwin said:

HiTech Formatt Filters are a good brand, I feel that they are better than Cokin.

Those look like very good brand, I was looking at there ND bundle http://www.formatt-hitech.com/kits/nd-nd-grad-combo-kit  thats looks like a good deal, I can then buy a nice 10 stop filter and a holder and im good to go. The one thing is that on  there website i dont see a adapter for a 77mm lens? If you could point me in the right direction for a holder and adapter that would be great ! Thanks

1 minute ago, link955 said:

snip

Look on B&H.  As I said, LEE and Formatt systems are compatible, what I am using right now are LEE filter holders with a combination of LEE and Formatt 100x100mm and 100x150mm filters.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ntt=77mm&refineSearchString=&atclk=Rectangular+Sizes_4x6%22%2F100x150mm&ci=240&N=4026728334+3929893071+4294951825+4294951816

The main filters I have in my bag are:

• A couple of LEE big stoppers for the 10 stop ND.  The new version of the Formatt 10-stop filters are good too.
  • 2-stop and 3-stop ND grads (both hard and soft edges)
  • A 2-stop and a 3-stop reverse ND grad
  • The 105mm LEE polarizer

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

Look on B&H.  As I said, LEE and Formatt systems are compatible, what I am using right now are LEE filter holders with a combination of LEE and Formatt 100x100mm and 100x150mm filters.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ntt=77mm&refineSearchString=&atclk=Rectangular+Sizes_4x6%22%2F100x150mm&ci=240&N=4026728334+3929893071+4294951825+4294951816

The main filters I have in my bag are:

• A couple of LEE big stoppers for the 10 stop ND.  The new version of the Formatt 10-stop filters are good too.
  • 2-stop and 3-stop ND grads (both hard and soft edges)
  • A 2-stop and a 3-stop reverse ND grad
  • The 105mm LEE polarizer

Hey thanks! Big help.

3 minutes ago, link955 said:

Hey thanks! Big help.

You're welcome.  The adapter rings to mount the filter holders can be expensive, what you can do to save money is to buy 1 or 2 adapter rings for your largest diameter lenses and then buy a set of step-up rings on ebay where they cost like $1-2 each.

I personally have just an adapter for 77 and 82mm and have step up rings:

• 52-77, 52-88
  • 55-77, 55-88
  • 62-77, 62-88.. you see where I'm heading.

16 minutes ago, ALwin said:

You're welcome.  The adapter rings to mount the filter holders can be expensive, what you can do to save money is to buy 1 or 2 adapter rings for your largest diameter lenses and then buy a set of step-up rings on ebay where they cost like $1-2 each.

I personally have just an adapter for 77 and 82mm and have step up rings:

• 52-77, 52-88
  • 55-77, 55-88
  • 62-77, 62-88.. you see where I'm heading.

Thats actually very smart, i prob would have bought a adapter for every lens :)