wireless protocols

Simons

Hello folks, so I am currently suggesting a friend of mine which router to purchase, however I got a question relating to this, as he is most likely to be using the wireless access on the router, which is also the reason why I've told him choose a better router, than buying a cheapo router and a cheapo access point. However heres my true question.. If he purchases a router that has 802.11ac and lets say in 5 years or so, the router becomes slow on the wireless part, however it is still up to date with the actual cord speed. Adding an access point, which protocols are newer, lets say 802.11ad, would this mean that if you're using the access point solely to access the wireless internet, it would be faster than if you used the router directly?

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

Yes. If it were only the wireless standards on the router that became outdated, then adding an AP with newer standards and connecting to that would (theoretically) be faster than using the router's in-built AP. 

Im just wondering, would it work? My friend doesnt understand much on the networking part, and he doesnt want to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars, so im just trying to figure out what is the best economical way, for him to get a good network, that can blow the pants of the average joe.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

1 hour ago, Simons said:

Im just wondering, would it work? My friend doesnt understand much on the networking part, and he doesnt want to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars, so im just trying to figure out what is the best economical way, for him to get a good network, that can blow the pants of the average joe.

APs close to the user (almost) always gives a better user experience.

I would just use the standard router that your ISP supplies and then buy an accesspoint or 2 of sorts and drag an ethernet cable to where it is mostly used and place the APs there.

I use Ubiquiti in most of my home user and SME installs, I like them, they work great :)

You can get them at either Proshop or Dustin or Århus PC Lager :) 

Just look for the new AC model https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite/ or https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/ 

EDIT: I should say that Ubiquiti is not giving BLAZING AMAZING speeds, but they are consistent in the packet flow and fast, which imo is more important, as you would generally not transfer huge files to and from a NAS via WiFi 

Thanks for the advice InVis, however the ISP doesnt provide you with any router in this case.